Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #1
atlasaxis

Andy Serling quote :)

"Saratoga is not the graveyard of favorites. It's the graveyard of bad handicappers." Andy Serling today on Talking Horses
Old 08-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasaxis
"Saratoga is not the graveyard of favorites. It's the graveyard of bad handicappers." Andy Serling today on Talking Horses
+1 for Andy...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Tell me - which track ISN'T the graveyard of bad handicappers?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Tell me - which track ISN'T the graveyard of bad handicappers?
It's especially prominent at Saratoga.....
Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
thaskalos

Then I must be one of the worst handicappers around.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Then I must be one of the worst handicappers around.
I'm sorry......It doesn't make you a bad person, though...
Old 08-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
I sorely missed you and thaskalos. Comedic and witty gold!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
mannyberrios
easygoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
That was great
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
Nitro

Quote:
So, can we assume from Andy’s humble comment that he may in fact be feeling some notions of grandeur? Perhaps he supposes that if everyone consistently listened to him and his crew’s pre-race commentary that all these so-called “bad handicappers” would suddenly turn their luck around and all become instant winners.

Sorry I don’t buy it, because its just not that simple.
The general concept of “handicapping” is often misleading because it has to include playing selections properly. Of course these sort of analysts typically neglect to mention the betting aspects of the game. These are the realities faced by outsiders not only trying to dissect and predict a race’s outcome, but also with expectations of eventually being rewarded

While their program may seem entertaining for some, I really don’t see much difference between its overall content and other similar productions. Entertainment can be enjoyable for a fan, but it just doesn’t cut it when you’re sincere about trying to profit from a highly volatile and dynamic game. I feel that the real fun in this game is achieving a degree of personal satisfaction from not just making amble selections, but primarily from attempting to play them properly when called for.

As much as I enjoy sharing some decent pre-race selections, I’m really not concerned with how others might be doing as far as playing or profiting from them. Based on many race track experiences with friends and family, and hearing similar stories, it seems that the majority of people (at any level of expertise) playing this game would rather win or lose on their own accord, no matter how profound the information they’re given might be.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Nitro. I have to say, that was one of your more intellectually stimulating posts and I enjoyed reading it.

With that said: what makes you think Andy meant that? I didn't hear his quote live so I dont know.

Final thought.

I love stubborn horseplayers. Keep betting baby!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 AM   #11
NY BRED
GARY

Andy Serling Quote

Quote:

I believe TLG is stating the informed and newbies to the game
target value bets as against strictly betting the favorite.

Sure, in many cases the favorite makes sense when betting
the pick 6/5/3/ or doubles in isolated cases.

Generally, the newbies to the game bet the morning line favorite,
not understanding why this line is included in the program.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

It's a great quote, and it's what makes the Saratoga meet so great.

Every time you see a Laoban or an Arrogate win, and you passed over them, and questioned your own pattern recognition, because 'the crowd' didn't include those horses as legitimate win contenders, - it humbles you as a player.

When you have quality fields for quality purses, there are going to be some patterns or models that occur that are going to lead to some prices winning and some favorites having adversity. Sheep are going to get slaughtered.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro
So, can we assume from Andy’s humble comment that he may in fact be feeling some notions of grandeur? Perhaps he supposes that if everyone consistently listened to him and his crew’s pre-race commentary that all these so-called “bad handicappers” would suddenly turn their luck around and all become instant winners.

Sorry I don’t buy it, because its just not that simple.
The general concept of “handicapping” is often misleading because it has to include playing selections properly. Of course these sort of analysts typically neglect to mention the betting aspects of the game. These are the realities faced by outsiders not only trying to dissect and predict a race’s outcome, but also with expectations of eventually being rewarded

While their program may seem entertaining for some, I really don’t see much difference between its overall content and other similar productions. Entertainment can be enjoyable for a fan, but it just doesn’t cut it when you’re sincere about trying to profit from a highly volatile and dynamic game. I feel that the real fun in this game is achieving a degree of personal satisfaction from not just making amble selections, but primarily from attempting to play them properly when called for.

As much as I enjoy sharing some decent pre-race selections, I’m really not concerned with how others might be doing as far as playing or profiting from them. Based on many race track experiences with friends and family, and hearing similar stories, it seems that the majority of people (at any level of expertise) playing this game would rather win or lose on their own accord, no matter how profound the information they’re given might be.
You're shoveling an awful lot of unrelated crap here for a one-line quote that horseplayers bet too much on bad favorites. Thanks for letting us know that "entertainment can be enjoyable" though.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
You're shoveling an awful lot of unrelated crap here for a one-line quote that horseplayers bet too much on bad favorites. Thanks for letting us know that "entertainment can be enjoyable" though.
It's endlessly amusing how often posters I have on ignore ( that would be Nitro in this case ) never seem to fail to disappoint when I see what they post ( Vic is good at this too ).

For those interested in the truth, every time I have used the Saratoga-Bad Handicappers line, I attribute it to the source....Harvey Pack. It's a joke, and always delivered as such.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #15
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
It's endlessly amusing how often posters I have on ignore ( that would be Nitro in this case ) never seem to fail to disappoint when I see what they post ( Vic is good at this too ).

For those interested in the truth, every time I have used the Saratoga-Bad Handicappers line, I attribute it to the source....Harvey Pack. It's a joke, and always delivered as such.
I think most of us knew that, but others have their agendas. I should make better use of "ignore" too.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: