Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

G1 Pacific Classic

Talk is obviously centered around California Chrome and Beholder. And we can't forget about Dortmund for a fearsome threesome of horses in form, training as well as they maybe ever have, and ready to roll.

While the rest of the field looks to be outclassed, the Big 3 are all "on the engine" types and could certainly wear each other down over 10 Furlongs. Problem is, without another true speed horse in the race, it is hard to see the Big 3 beating each other into submission.

Califronia Chrome: Deserving favorite, and as of right now the class of the older male division. This is undoubtedly the horse to beat. The 1 hole won't be a problem as he should get out fine and be on or near the lead. Especially with Hoppertunity directly to his right, and unless War Story goes nuts, should be comfortable early in this race.

Hoppertunity: The true closer in this field. He may not get a better chance to beat the likes of the Big 3 than he'll get Saturday. Problem is, he has always fallen short at this level, even though he runs his heart out every time he gets in the gate. Hard to see him turning the tables this time around, but at his largest price in a very very long time, and with what should be a solid pace set up, could he get it done when nobody is wagering on him?

War Story: I'm sure I could go through the history books, but I'd be damn sure nobody has shipped from Thistledowns and won the Pacific Classic. This guy started his racing career with monster expectations, and for a while was on the Kentucky Derby trail just last year and even ran in the Derby. After his 16th place finish in the KD, his career has spiraled, has now changed trainers for a 4th time, and ships in from Ohio. Most people enjoy the Chrome story of a horse from nowhere; but how about the regally bred horse that is against it, getting taken over by nobody connections, and rolling home in one of the biggest G1 races in the country while beating 3 of the best horses in training right now? Ummm, yeah. 30/1 seems about right.

Hard Aces: A tough customer that can win on his best day. He should sit a good trip, and if a pace meltdown occurs, he could be sitting in the catbird seat. He should be fit after the 12 furlong Cougar that he won wire to wire. At a 15/1 ML, he is a bit interesting.

Win The Space: Has really turned the corner is his 4YO season. Can he keep getting better? Chrome and Dortmund put him away last out, so he has a lot of ground to make up, and looked like another 1 1/2 furlongs against those two last out was further away than Pluto. Will need a career best, and that might not be good enough to hit the board.

Imperative: 3 for 32 lifetime. A constant Graded Stakes out of the money horse is the very definition of middler. Outside of a handful of races at or even near this level, he seems to split the field. And in 9 to 10 horse fields, that doesn't do you much. Really hard to see, even in the Trifecta.

Beholder: I'm not too worried about her loss to another gal last time out. She was in hand, was off the long layoff, and didn't need to win that one. Obviously. The defending champ loves this track and is training lights out from all reports. Last year she let the pace develop and made one of the biggest moves in recent memory rolling around the turn and into the stretch to shame the field. This is a much tougher field, and the ones in front won't collapse this time around. To me, she is either every bit a part of this race as a serious W contender, or she is completely out of the Trifecta. I'm going with the latter.

Dortmund: Little doubt what he needs to do. Get on or near the lead, and grind out a win. This big chestnut has put on good weight since his last out (according to reports) and is in the best shape and form of is career. As a 4YO, he may well be entering his true prime. In his 11 career races, which includes 8 Graded Stakes races, only 3 horses have ever beat him. Chrome. American Pharoah, and Firing Line. The biggest question for Dorty is 10 furlongs. Will his age and development get him there this time around? He could be sitting on a monster race.

Dalmore: This might well be the most interesting entry in the race for me. A 3YO taking on older horses, getting 6 pounds, an outside draw which should be good for him, and a race that could melt down in front of him. 20/1 ML is probably fair, but this is a scary horse that is improving every race out. Problem is, this is by far the best class of horses he has ever faced, and less than 5 months ago he was still a maiden and now looking to beat Chrome, Beholder, and Dortmund. Disney doesn't even write these kinds of stories, right?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm not sure which I'll bet, but I'll be in attendance this year. Flying out today!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Going to be on TVG on-site?
Don't forget your boogie board!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Going to be on TVG on-site?
Don't forget your boogie board!

Nah...just going to hang out and see some great horses with the wife...spur of the moment thing. Love San Diego so staying there and just doing Del Mar Saturday.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm not sure which I'll bet, but I'll be in attendance this year. Flying out today!
I'm going to be in the clubhouse.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

tough betting race for me.

Chrome is very beatable, I just don't see an overlay.

Beholder can win. She can also flatten out late.

Same with Dortmund.

The 'field' isn't really that impressive. I can't bet Hoppertunity or Hard Aces hoping they get a dream trip either.

One of those 'reshuffle' stakes races for me - just watch and see what happens and whether any future overlays, underlays come out of this
Old 08-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

If Chrome runs a 'dud' race, I guess Dortmund is the pick.

Dortmund has never been able to relax.
That's the 2nd thing that stands out with him, after his size.
Both his size, and innability to relax hurt his soundness.

I like the fact that this Bejarano-ON. Something new. No loss in quality. Good judge of positional placement, and he's riding well recently.

I like that this is 2nd off the layoff. If he's going to run a PEAK race, 2nd=oFF is his time to do it at this point in his career.
(because this is where fitness and hopefully soundness meet at their summit)

I like that Baffert understands all this.
In addition to being a supertrainer, he also 'gets' the concept of a prizefighter horse, whose purpose is to rack up stakes money. He's not worried about the Breeders Cup Classic w/ Dortmund here. He's worried about the Pacific Classic purse money NOW.

So yea, = I see Dortmund as a game giant who doesn't know how to relax and is going to have some soundness issues, but if (the underlaid)Chrome happens to run a 'dud', Dortmund is my best Win pick.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
I like that Baffert understands all this.
In addition to being a supertrainer, he also 'gets' the concept of a prizefighter horse, whose purpose is to rack up stakes money. He's not worried about the Breeders Cup Classic w/ Dortmund here. He's worried about the Pacific Classic purse money NOW.
I'm glad you mentioned this, Robert. It's one of the things that makes Baffert such a great trainer.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #9
classhandicapper

The other thing I thought was interesting about Dortmund was that they worked him behind a horse coming into this. I'm not sure if that's typical because I haven't seen any of his prior works, but it suggests they are trying to get him to sit off horses and finish.

I've never understood why this horse was turning into a speed horse when he started out looking like he was very comfortable off the pace.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The other thing I thought was interesting about Dortmund was that they worked him behind a horse coming into this. I'm not sure if that's typical because I haven't seen any of his prior works, but it suggests they are trying to get him to sit off horses and finish.

I've never understood why this horse was turning into a speed horse when he started out looking like he was very comfortable off the pace.

11-8-1-1
$1,752,480
From a horse who is arguably 'G2'.

Tough to fault Baffert, or his jockeys, in terms of style development and tactics.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #11
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
11-8-1-1
$1,752,480
From a horse who is arguably 'G2'.

Tough to fault Baffert, or his jockeys, in terms of style development and tactics.
Agree.

Dortmund is a spitting twin of Mucho Macho Man in my opinion. He doesn't have speed of foot, but his best weapon is his size and length of stride to wear other horses down.

I just can't see Dortmund being a successful closer or off the pace kind of horse just waiting for other horses to tire. He has the ability to get on or near the front and grind out wins. Why not stick to it and allow him to mature into more stamina at the classic distances?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #12
CincyHorseplayer

I always look forward to seeing the matchups in races like this but it just seems like another betting non entity.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #13
depalma113

Imperative - should be coming late and if any of the top three faulter he will be there for a piece.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
bobphilo

As I said earlier, if Beholder duplicates last years Pacific Classic, she wins. The only question is whether her recent figures indicate she is in the same form. Now that I've seen the PP's it appears shes's not. However her improving figures show she is rounding to form and she has been training lights out, so its hard to discount her. Otherwise Chrome is the horse to beat. Whether he, or anyone else, will be underlaid is silly speculation until close to post time.
At this point odds mean nothing unless I'm looking at a likely winner and at this point I see either Beholder and Chrome in an Exacta box and keying these 2 over Dortmund. Whether the odds make this a decent bet remains to be seen.
Otherwise, I'll be glad to just watch an interesting top class race.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
GaryG
Unreconstructed

I don't think Beholder can win in her current form. If there is a longshot with a chance it is Dalhart. Certainly look forward to watching it.