Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I remember the days when they did not run NYS Breds at all.
No cheap claimers - nothing under$35K maybe?
No turf sprints.

*sigh*
Next you will remember the good old days when grandstands were filled. Things change.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #17
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Yep, my minor league tracks and regular afternoon harness track is not racing today so I got a Spa program and boy am I disappointed.

Yes, this is a degree of sour grapes, no doubt. I played the 4 and for 20-30 seconds she was not at all settled in the. Didn't matter to the starter who popped the gate open nonetheless.

I get more professionalism from my minor league tracks.
I don't know how else to respond other than you're right about the start wrong about the minor league thing. I also bet the . She was reacting to the horse next to her and basically the assistant starter didn't appear to alert the starter and he pop the gate when the other horse settled down.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #18
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Boy do you fit in PERFECTLY around these parts. Welcome

One play.

One loss.

One excuse.

Here's your badge. Remember no gum chewing in line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I remember the days when they did not run NYS Breds at all.
No cheap claimers - nothing under$35K maybe?
No turf sprints.

*sigh*
Uhh. respectfully disagree....see attachment.
One program is from 1986. The other( the three horse entry race) is form 1977.
You were claiming what about no state bred races "back in the day"?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf saratoga programs.pdf (1.14 MB, 20 views)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #20
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Yeah I was going to call bs on this too.

I only go back to the late 80's early 90's but I remember state bred races. Also back then they only ran 9 races. Also half of the state bred stakes were run in split divisions so that would be two of the nine. I remember the Yaddo was almost always a split race. Leo O'Brien once won both divisions with full sisters Irish Actress and Irish Linnet.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I don't know how else to respond other than you're right about the start wrong about the minor league thing. I also bet the . She was reacting to the horse next to her and basically the assistant starter didn't appear to alert the starter and he pop the gate when the other horse settled down.
Thank You...At least there are a couple of people on the board who know how to watch all aspects of a race.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Thank You...At least there are a couple of people on the board who know how to watch all aspects of a race.
Bello, there are people on this board who find it fashionable to pick on people who speak the truth/discuss something/make a statement etc.

Pay them no mind.

As for the original post, I agree 100% with you. That ASS starter (pun intended) looked to be overwhelmed. WTF took him so long to ask for the horse to be backed out? Horse was jammed/bottled/off center for over 10 seconds.

Of course at the height of the horse's awkwardness, they're off.

Gives credence to all the guys I heard say: make sure you take care of the gate boys if you're live today.

In another thread I politely asked and was politely answered by Vic and Castaway01 if gate crew members are graded for performance.

I have personally lost, without overstating it, over $1,000,000 on closing tickets of Pick 6's, Pick 5's etc in the last 5 years due to an assistant starter being a total F'N incompetent jackass.

Yes, I have a "thing" for ASS starters.

Maybe there is judgement, corrective action, termination, reassignment of ASS starters but I don't think the system is working. Too many horses are off slow when they didn't have to be.

Good eye Bello.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #23
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Doubtful
From my personal experience, at EMD this year, I don't think I've cursed out an assistant starter once this year. They do a professional job.

It's the only other track that I can truly speak to as I don't bet any other tracks full time.

We're at Saratoga. They should treat every field like it's the Belmont Stakes and make sure all starts are as fair as can be.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #24
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Bello, there are people on this board who find it fashionable to pick on people who speak the truth/discuss something/make a statement etc.

Pay them no mind.

As for the original post, I agree 100% with you. That ASS starter (pun intended) looked to be overwhelmed. WTF took him so long to ask for the horse to be backed out? Horse was jammed/bottled/off center for over 10 seconds.

Of course at the height of the horse's awkwardness, they're off.

Gives credence to all the guys I heard say: make sure you take care of the gate boys if you're live today.

In another thread I politely asked and was politely answered by Vic and Castaway01 if gate crew members are graded for performance.

I have personally lost, without overstating it, over $1,000,000 on closing tickets of Pick 6's, Pick 5's etc in the last 5 years due to an assistant starter being a total F'N incompetent jackass.

Yes, I have a "thing" for ASS starters.

Maybe there is judgement, corrective action, termination, reassignment of ASS starters but I don't think the system is working. Too many horses are off slow when they didn't have to be.

Good eye Bello.
Part of the game I never looked at. I always thought the fix was in , so many favs break late ..... it seems. and you need 1-2 chalks in the P5, P6
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 PM   #25
thespaah

watch the head on..The assistant starter was having trouble getting the horse to stand. He had the halter in hand and the horse twisted its head when the gate opened. The horse stumbled and almost dumped the rider. There was a stewards inquiry. The stewards ruled no change.
The horse in question is
Go to race 9
https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/racing...dar/2016-07-25
After the horses go, watch the reaction of the assistant starter in the stall. it's at the top of the screen.
Chart.....Scroll to race 9
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...R072516USA.pdf

Last edited by thespaah; 07-28-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #26
thespaah

The job of assistant starter looks full of hazards.
A person can be kicked. stepped on, thrown from the ledge and trampled in the gate stall, run over by the gate being towed off the racing surface, struck by horse throwing it head, bitten, get fingers caught in halter. etc....Hopefully these guys make a decent living.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
The job of assistant starter looks full of hazards.
A person can be kicked. stepped on, thrown from the ledge and trampled in the gate stall, run over by the gate being towed off the racing surface, struck by horse throwing it head, bitten, get fingers caught in halter. etc....Hopefully these guys make a decent living.
I respect that. I only ask for a once in a while: "NO NONO NONNNOOOONNO NNO NO NO NO" when it's necessary.

Who knows, maybe the guys/gals I see failing, lost their voice that day
Old 07-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #28
salty
undefined

at least you didn't hit the last pick 3 today. I don't usually complain on a win but it feels like I was robbed.
11/1. 6/1. 5/2. 167.50 for $1 the $2 double for race 8 and 9 paid around 170
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

Maybe it was state bred claiming races?