Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #61
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
the horse obviously spooked or balked at something. I guess if you've never ridden these critters it's something one doesn't understand. Some look for excuses to spook, etc.
So how soon should a jockey be able to get the horse back under control, straighten and back to speed before spooking?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #62
the little guy

Saying "there's nothing to see here" is as bad as the people that are jumping to conclusions that it was a fixed race. It's also unfortunate that someone that was an ex-trainer takes the "nothing to see here" position because it gives the ( thankfully incorrect ) impression that horsemen generally have that arrogant attitude towards horseplayers ( most of the ones I know, and I know quite a few, do not ).

There is PLENTY to see here, which does not mean that this was dishonesty, but as the reasonable people in this thread seem to be saying ( over and over again ), it's good to see the Stewards at least looking into this, and thus respecting the rights of horseplayers.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #63
no breathalyzer
Veteran

At this point there is nothing to see here.. as this is old news... stewards want to look into this now weeks later?... give me a break.. lets not act like this is your first raced watched now.

''Unnamed sources told the Form that analysis of wagering on the race could find no unusual activity''

This is Lame.
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #64
no breathalyzer
Veteran

I can make a whole thread on bad rides that the stewards should look into if needed. like i said that wasn't even the worst ride that day... not sure why all the energy wasted on this is about
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #65
mountainman

Sore horses and rocky movers compete everyday at every track in the WORLD. And they WIN.

And it's inevitable (and not tantamount to murder) that, in extreme cases, jocks protect themselves and go a bit easy. But this was NOT one of those cases.

20/20 vision is a wonderful thing, and should compel the stewards in this instance to disregard whatever lame excuse Castanon offers up, and come down hard. Very hard. That's why they are thus empowered.

Incidentally, every part of that ride, through every portion of the race, looks beyond suspicious, to me.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
These posts are just as tiresome as the "if you ever rode a horse you'd understand" posts because while I'm sure there are conspiracies in every sport, if you really believe this you should never bet another race (or you're a moron for doing so).
While I think his post was a reach, big time, it isn't like there haven't been fixed races. There was one in Louisiana not very long ago. So are we all morons?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #67
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
At this point there is nothing to see here.. as this is old news... stewards want to look into this now weeks later?... give me a break.. lets not act like this is your first raced watched now.

''Unnamed sources told the Form that analysis of wagering on the race could find no unusual activity''

This is Lame.
You really should get a breathalyzer on your keyboard.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #68
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
The head-on shows a different story and I feel exonerates the jockey. The break had the 1 veering out pinching back the 2, causing the poor start. At the top od the stretch, Tizthedream was running well and looked like it could get 2nd or win, but then something happened. In the last 100 yards, the horse carriage changed and veered out about 8 lanes - possibly left front leg.

Would the stewards also call in a jockey who was in the hospital because the horse they were riding broke down at the finish line?
The head on does not, in any way, exonerate the jockey. First off, in the head on, you can see Castanon takes the horse needlessly wide on the backstretch. Then for the stretch drive, up until the steady very late in the race, the horse is running in a straight line; no lugging in or bearing out, yet Castanon looked like a statue, not even moving his hands or arms in the least.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #69
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You really should get a breathalyzer on your keyboard.

ok so i'm exaggerating a tad... the point is the is being overblown here..
Old 07-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #70
Ruffian1

Just watched it:

If anyone cares, here is my take.

Someday, somewhere, a set of stewards or management somewhere will decide that it is time that customers get a full, complete and concise explanation when it comes to something like this. And they will follow up doing so whenever there are real questions that customers have. Don't know if it will happen here but we can all hope.

I think that it is good for business to be as transparent as possible when it comes to WHY a decision was made. Not everyone will agree with any decision, they never do, but the sport needs this and has for decades. Yes, sometimes Stewards do offer some explanation for things but dialog when there are real questions cannot be here and there. It needs to be whenever it is called for. It would not take much effort for someone to act like a press secretary or whatever and help customers feel as though they have a voice or have a platform to discuss their concerns.

BTW, SG4 in post #15 gave a solid analysis with the limited view we have. Well done IMO.

A head on shot would be needed for sure to even start to draw the most premature of conclusions IMO.

There are many, many questions that need answers.

Too many to list them all but here are a few.

The horse lunged prior to the doors opening. Did the horse smash it's teeth or hit his head, or was it nothing like it is more often than not. That is a huge factor that none of us can know from what we can see.
The attendant in the one stall could shed light on that among others.

The rider had a miserable day that day. Why? Personal problems, terrible frame of mind, or just a bad day at the office? This is so important to know the answers to.

He hit the horse lightly right handed inside the 1/8th pole and the horse immediately switched back to it's left lead and drifted in. That's not good. He grabbed the horse and it switched back to it's right lead. Why? Physical, mental? There IS a reason and that question can certainly be answered.

Different bit or anything different this time from last ? The paddock judge will know. Anyone care to ask? I sure hope so.

Vet records on the horse for the last 60 days tells a lot. Will anyone go this far to do the right thing for all involved? And "all" includes the public.

Is this jock a sit still type or a gunner? The Stewards should certainly know this.

So many other questions that if asked, and the answers told for the public to see, would go such a long way towards customer, track relations.

But who will be the first to do so?

The public keeps waiting.

We will see what happens here.

BTW, did anyone notice the winners saddle had slipped pretty badly ?

What a mess this race was.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #71
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Saying "there's nothing to see here" is as bad as the people that are jumping to conclusions that it was a fixed race. It's also unfortunate that someone that was an ex-trainer takes the "nothing to see here" position because it gives the ( thankfully incorrect ) impression that horsemen generally have that arrogant attitude towards horseplayers ( most of the ones I know, and I know quite a few, do not ).

There is PLENTY to see here, which does not mean that this was dishonesty, but as the reasonable people in this thread seem to be saying ( over and over again ), it's good to see the Stewards at least looking into this, and thus respecting the rights of horseplayers.
This is all we are asking for. If they want my money in their pools, I want the necessary oversight to make sure the game is fair.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #72
Track Phantom

Quote:
I've had the pleasure of both watching thousands of races and galloping/working them thousands of miles. Anyone that has ridden them even a reasonable amount fully understands what happened. I would love to stick you on one of these animals, jack the stirrups up that high and just let you ride him around in the barn. I bet a franklin you don't stay on long But then you'd understand
What happened?
Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #73
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
So how soon should a jockey be able to get the horse back under control, straighten and back to speed before spooking?
Really? Remember these are horses. Each one has it's own specific characteristics. If there was a set answer to that there would be rules regarding this. These aren't machines that perform the exact way each and every time they are released from the gate.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #74
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom
What happened?
lol. to put it simply, the horse misbehaved. that's all you really need to know.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #75
Track Phantom

Quote:
lol. to put it simply, the horse misbehaved. that's all you really need to know.
I believe there was misbehaving. Not sure by who for sure.