Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #1
OverlayHunter

Problem Upgrading to Windows 8.1 (to get Win 10)

I never upgraded to Windows 8.1 from 8.0 since I was fine (if "fine" is really possible with Windows) with 8.0.

I've decided to bite the bullet and update to Windows 10 but Microsoft won't allow that update from 8.0. They require an update to 8.1 first.

I tried updating to 8.1 yesterday.
1. The update appeared to download correctly.

2. The update appeared to install correctly.

3. The computer (a 3 year old laptop that came with Win 8.0) rebooted automatically after the install.

4. Before getting to the regular startup screens ending with the Windows Desktop, it started some sort of "Setting Up" procedure with a message that read: "Setting Up" followed by a regularly increasing percentage indication; e.g., Setting Up 15% (etc.).

5. After roughly 2 hours it got to Setting Up 82% and there it remained with the circling dots moving round and round for about 6 hours until I manually turned off the computer with the "on/off" switch.

6. When I turned on the computer to boot I got the following messages, all of which were on the same screen:
Restoring your previous version Windows.

Couldn't update to Windows 8.1.

We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x20020003

7. For the heck of it I ran Hitman Pro (no serious problem detected but I deleted all the cookies it found) and Malwarebytes (no problem detected). I also have Norton on the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to install Win 8.1?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
whodoyoulike
Veteran

See if Google can help you here. My machine came with Win 8.1 so never had to do this upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. Maybe you don't have enough memory see 2nd link. I always forget to check Google for answers.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0windows%208.0

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ate-kb-2919355

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 07-15-2016 at 04:45 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #3
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
I never upgraded to Windows 8.1 from 8.0 since I was fine (if "fine" is really possible with Windows) with 8.0.

I've decided to bite the bullet and update to Windows 10 but Microsoft won't allow that update from 8.0. They require an update to 8.1 first.

I tried updating to 8.1 yesterday.
1. The update appeared to download correctly.

2. The update appeared to install correctly.

3. The computer (a 3 year old laptop that came with Win 8.0) rebooted automatically after the install.

4. Before getting to the regular startup screens ending with the Windows Desktop, it started some sort of "Setting Up" procedure with a message that read: "Setting Up" followed by a regularly increasing percentage indication; e.g., Setting Up 15% (etc.).

5. After roughly 2 hours it got to Setting Up 82% and there it remained with the circling dots moving round and round for about 6 hours until I manually turned off the computer with the "on/off" switch.

6. When I turned on the computer to boot I got the following messages, all of which were on the same screen:
Restoring your previous version Windows.

Couldn't update to Windows 8.1.

We've restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.

0xC1900101 - 0x20020003

7. For the heck of it I ran Hitman Pro (no serious problem detected but I deleted all the cookies it found) and Malwarebytes (no problem detected). I also have Norton on the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to install Win 8.1?

Do you have restore disk or maybe a partition on your laptop that a factory restore?
Some laptops have you tap F10 to get to Factory Restore..

If you can get a factory restore...

Use flash drive (or another hard drive) and put all your import stuff on it...
PIx , files , or whatever...

then do factory restore and then go straight into updating 8 to 8.1...

mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
dlgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
If you have a Microsoft Store near you make an appointment with their Answer Desk. Microsoft Store is doing free upgrades to Windows 10 until 7/29.
I have an older Samsung tablet that has Win 8.0. I cannot get it to update to Win 8.1. Don't use it much any longer but wanted to upgrade it to Win 10 before the July deadline for free updates. I have an appointment on Monday for them to update it to Win 10.
dlgreg
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
OverlayHunter

Thank you for all the ideas folks. I'll go through them one by one and, if none of them work from my office, I've got an appointment early tomorrow afternoon with the Microsoft Store.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply