Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
drib

Nyquist Belmont unlikely

Today brings news of a "slight fever" from the Nyquist camp. I doubt that this is the whole story. It is worth remembering the difficult time NYRA gave trainer Doug O'Neil before I'll Have Another's ill-fated run at the Triple Crown. Check this story http://www.foxsports.com/horse-racin...scratch-060812

My favorite part is that NYRA even gave O'Neil crap about cooking oats. Back then the trainer needed Belmont to complete the Triple Crown, but, now, with the Preakness defeat, the shoe is on the other foot. My suspicion is that Mr. O'Neil would love a little payback; Nyquist's non-appearance in the Belmont would cost NYRA big $.
Despite the NYRA shills, when one analyzes the situation, why should Nyquist attempt the crueling third leg of the Triple Crown? The smart move is a brief summer rest and return to favorable. friendly West Coast. This is the sensible path towards the Breeder's Cup on home grounds.....plus the chance to stick it to NYRA might be irresistible.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You're defending a trainer whose pejorative nickname is "Drug" O'Neil?

Thanks for the laugh...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
drib

I am certainly no defender of O'Neil; just accurately reporting past events, and, knowing human nature, speculating on current events.
drib is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You're defending a trainer whose pejorative nickname is "Drug" O'Neil?

Thanks for the laugh...
I was hoping you could define "crueling" for me.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I was thinking the same. I don't care if Nyquist doesn't come to NY. Couldn't care less. He ran in the Derby. He won. He ran in the Preakness. He lost.

Next...
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib
I am certainly no defender of O'Neil; just accurately reporting past events, and, knowing human nature, speculating on current events.
O'Neil should be thankful he's still allowed to participate in the game.

He was suspended in NY in 2014 for 45 days because of a banned substance. That's not all that ancient of a history. Prior to that he had 18 DRUG VIOLATIONS...yes EIGHTEEN...with nine of them since January 2009. That averages out to over one PER YEAR. This is in ADDITION to his carbon dioxide (ie. milkshaking) controversy and suspension by Del Mar.

http://www.drf.com/news/oneill-suspe...ing-commission

But yeah, go ahead and pontificate how O'Neil deserves some revenge against NYRA...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

After winning the Derby and a third-place finish in the Preakness, watch O'Neil stick it to NYRA. He's planned for this moment all year long, no doubt.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

A few years back, most were skipping the Belmont. it was so bad that one year a prominent trainer called it a "test of leftovers." But it seems that now most want to enter it now because they believe it's a feather in the breeding-shed cap (i.e.,to have a sire who got the distance).
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:

He was suspended in NY in 2014 for 45 days because of a banned substance. That's not all that ancient of a history. Prior to that he had 18 DRUG VIOLATIONS...yes EIGHTEEN...with nine of them since January 2009. That averages out to over one PER YEAR. This is in ADDITION to his carbon dioxide (ie. milkshaking) controversy and suspension by Del Mar.

But yeah, go ahead and pontificate how O'Neil deserves some revenge against NYRA...
Also, though nothing was proven, Lava Man certainly looked like a doped horse. A reformed claimer who became a top stakes horse who could beat anyone in California, but stunk every time he was shipped out and run under different drug testing rules.

That said, the signals I am hearing are that they are hoping the fever is nothing and want to run.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
delayjf

I'd be inclined to rest him up for the Haskell / Travers later in the year.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

I want 3yo. champ honors. I run in the Belmont and try to hold the honor clearly if possible while in form and fit and healthy instead of possibly being neglected in thought a bit by taking a pass, Exaggerator possibly taking 2/3 Triple Crown (without making him work for it in the third) with a strong Derby finish as well, and then absolutely having to cement the status with one of the last major 3yo race and then probably facing the best of the olders.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Don't be gruel man.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drib
Today brings news of a "slight fever" from the Nyquist camp. I doubt that this is the whole story. It is worth remembering the difficult time NYRA gave trainer Doug O'Neil before I'll Have Another's ill-fated run at the Triple Crown. Check this story http://www.foxsports.com/horse-racin...scratch-060812

My favorite part is that NYRA even gave O'Neil crap about cooking oats. Back then the trainer needed Belmont to complete the Triple Crown, but, now, with the Preakness defeat, the shoe is on the other foot. My suspicion is that Mr. O'Neil would love a little payback; Nyquist's non-appearance in the Belmont would cost NYRA big $.
Despite the NYRA shills, when one analyzes the situation, why should Nyquist attempt the crueling third leg of the Triple Crown? The smart move is a brief summer rest and return to favorable. friendly West Coast. This is the sensible path towards the Breeder's Cup on home grounds.....plus the chance to stick it to NYRA might be irresistible.
"Payback" isn't withdrawing a horse, having an unprovable supposed "hit" on their ticket sales.

"Payback" isn't sitting out a $1m race (or is it $1.5m?) and having the people you're getting back at give you a check and a trophy.

You're making too much of this. I was surprised that they're even thinking about it yet. That was a tough race on the horse. I'd want to see how he's doing in a week's time before I think about it. But now he's spiked a fever, so it's not looking great as to how he looks in a week's time.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

Yet I feel like O'Neil is probably squeakier than last year's TC trainer in the clean department. I forgive easier drug positives, particularly for known and testable therapeutic overages, than a bunch of dead horses (who were given an unneeded drug which is known to counteract an illegal and untestable drug).
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #15
dogkatcher

Why would you run in the Belmont with a horse who is said to be bred not to even go the Derby distance. Had he won the Preakness, maybe a good reason to give it a shot. Other than that, there are plenty of big races down the road.
dogkatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: