Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

BANNED Jockey Billy Patin Back

Buzzer Man Billy is back!!.
This guy was caught but never admited to using an electrical device on a horse called Valhol. Spent the last 5 years trying to find a purpose in life.Him and OWNER James Jackson make a great pair....two crooks..Is very different when you abuse your body for self satifaction but when you have to ABUSE a horse for ill gotten gains,That is the bottom of the barrel..CJ this is for you..........These 2 guys are the biggest SCUMBUCKETS of ALL time...makes PVal a saint
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Back where? I've never heard of Billy Patin....got a story? Post it here if you do, please.
Dancer's Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancer's Image
Back where? I've never heard of Billy Patin....got a story? Post it here if you do, please.
He rode in the 5th yesterday at CD for Hackworth. Has another mount tomorrow in the 3rd at CD for Coates.

Although 5 years ago, you can probably find a story with google.

Last edited by BillW; 07-03-2004 at 12:53 PM.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Bill W,
You have mistaken me for someone with ambition and initiative. I'm the guy sitting in the recliner with the "Don't ask me...I'm retired" hat on.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Sorry Dancer
Excerpt from the Daily Racing Form
Jockey Billy Patin suspended for 5 years by the Ark Racing people for caring a buzzer (A electrical device to make a horse run faster.aboard Valhol in the 1999 Arkansa Derby.To make a long story short,horse racing I love, Abusing animals I dont like,Just the story puts a bad taste in your mouth
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #6
Bruddah
Veteran

Heah! Mc Schell!!

I know Jim Jackson personally. I also know, with 100% certainty, he knew nothing of Billy Patin's actions. He was devestated and humiliated when this story came to light. Be a little more careful with your broad accusations. Jim Jackson is a horseman of the highest integrity and treats his horses humanely.

I was at Oaklawn the day he (Valhol) won the Arkansas Derby and Valhol would have won...buzzed or not buzzed. He simply was the best horse in the race that day. He went on to win several graded stakes and is now retired at Jim's farm.

Billy Patin repayed loyalty by Jim Jackson and Dallas Keen with his own insurance plan. It was his first shot at a big time win and he decided to use a 'helper' commonly employed at the La. tracks he rode. This is the same loyalty displayed by John Servis to Stuart Elliot, only with a much different outcome and story.

Good Luck with your Barn.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

teeitup will remember, Valhol gave me a $1700 P3 that day. I know I had Menifee in the BG, can't remember the Wood winner. It was a weak one, I know that.

Regardless, this is even worse than PVal. And to let him ride at CD, the home of the biggest race in the game, is even worse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #8
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Well I found an article after all...

Posted: 7/2/2004 11:46:00 AM ET

Patin finishes third in comeback from suspension

Billy Patin, the central figure in one of the most controversial races in recent history, returned to race riding for the first time in five years on Friday with a third-place finish in a maiden special weight at Churchill Downs.
Patin received a five-year suspension in June 1999 from the Arkansas Racing Commission for carrying an electrical device aboard Valhol in the 1999 Arkansas Derby (G2), which the son of Diazo won by 4 1/2 lengths as a maiden. Patin and Valhol’s trainer, Dallas Keen, denied any wrongdoing during the ensuing investigation, but Valhol was stripped of the victory.
“The Arkansas Racing Commission saw fit to relicense him, and since he was judged in that jurisdiction to be fit to ride, we certainly took that into consideration,” said Mickey Sample, the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority’s state steward. “Churchill’s Director of Security Jim Kane interviewed him as well, did a complete background check, and he was clean. He served his time, and the stewards thought it would be improper to keep him away from competition.”
With his five-year suspension behind him, Patin applied for reinstatement in Arkansas and Kentucky. He had been working at High Point Training Center near Louisville where he met trainer Robert Hackworth, who named Patin on his first starter since the suspension.
“He’s a hard worker,” Hackworth said. “I’ve been watching him, and he’s a professional. I told him that if I had a live horse, then I’d put him on one, and things worked out that I had Freddy Time running. I’d like to see Billy win one.”
Hackworth said that Patin had been acting as his own agent in the days leading up to his return.
Patin began riding in 1979 and during his career won 1,276 races from 12,356 mounts, including 30 stakes events, who earned purses totaling $6,899,728. Valhol continued to race after the Arkansas Derby, winning six times in 21 career starts, including four stakes, and earning $444,850 lifetime for owner James Jackson.—Ed DeRosa
Old 07-04-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Now admittedly, all I know about this is what I read in the article, but worse than PVal, CJ? Patin serves a 5 year suspension, for what I have to assume is his first offense since the article doesn't say otherwise, and you don't want to give him a second chance? PVal only serves a month for his umpteenth infraction and somehow in your warped mind this is worse than PVal? You've been in Europe too long, CJ...but Happy 4th of July anyway.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I doubt you will find many who have been against PVal much more vocally than I have. But, the one thing PVal has never been accused of is cheating. In my opinion, cheating is much more serious than drugs for this sport.

Many, many top jocks have had substance abuse problems. There is some tolerance, though the PVal situation is ridiculous. When it comes to jocks who cheat, there should be ZERO tolerance. That's all I'm saying...
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Well let me be the first then to accuse PVal of cheating. PVal is cheating by taking illegal substances; these substances may give him an unfair advantage in making weight or other performance issues. Also I have seen PVal (as well as just about every other jockey at some time or another) purposely pull up a horse and/or not give his best effort to win a race. That is also cheating! Zero tolerance? There would be few if any jockeys left to ride. Surely 5 years for Patin is sufficient punishment.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Patin should be banned for life. He made a concious decsion to cheat. There can be no tolerance for cheaters in this game. IF he can't make a living any other way, too damn bad. Go bag groceries. Should have thought of that before.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:04 PM   #13
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Banned for life? No tolerance for cheaters? So do we apply the same lifetime ban to all the other jockeys who cheat? Can anyone actually say that they have never watched a horse race and seen a jockey unequivocally pull up a horse and/or not try his/her hardest to win? If so, you haven't watched many races. Just in the past year, one of the Meche jockeys, (Lonnie, Donnie, or Vonnie? or were those the McDuck triplets?), was given a 6 month suspension for failing to persevere in the stretch. Should he be also given a lifetime ban?

It's a strange feeling for me to have someone make me seem like the bleeding heart liberal when it comes to punishment. Perhaps I'll have to go downtown tonight and kick over some of the derelicts' tin cups!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Banned for life? No tolerance for cheaters? So do we apply the same lifetime ban to all the other jockeys who cheat? Can anyone actually say that they have never watched a horse race and seen a jockey unequivocally pull up a horse and/or not try his/her hardest to win? If so, you haven't watched many races. Just in the past year, one of the Meche jockeys, (Lonnie, Donnie, or Vonnie? or were those the McDuck triplets?), was given a 6 month suspension for failing to persevere in the stretch. Should he be also given a lifetime ban?

It's a strange feeling for me to have someone make me seem like the bleeding heart liberal when it comes to punishment. Perhaps I'll have to go downtown tonight and kick over some of the derelicts' tin cups!
Failing to persever is a subjective thing. A buzzer is objective. There is no other purpose for carrying a buzzer than to cheat. Yes, a lifetime ban, OR make the ride replace the money in the pools he cheated legitmate bettors out of.
There is no reason to tolerate anyone who cheats.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #15
Dancer's Image
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Failing to persever is a subjective thing. A buzzer is objective. There is no other purpose for carrying a buzzer than to cheat. Yes, a lifetime ban, OR make the ride replace the money in the pools he cheated legitmate bettors out of.
There is no reason to tolerate anyone who cheats.
Yes, a buzzer is objective and yes, it is illegal and yes, I certainly agree that some punishment should be administered for its usage. But I could argue quite convincingly that the buzzer doesn't even make any difference. Some horses will run faster with a buzzer, some horses slower, and some will not be affected. Whereas a rider who pulls up his horse or doesn't try his hardest to win the race, he always adversely affects his horse's chance of winning. So in your line of thinkinmg these jockeys should not be tolerated also.

Somewhere there should be a compromise between far too lenient treatment of jockeys like PVal and what you and CJ advocate, ie. lifetime ban for all jockeys who cheat...and I think this 5 year suspension for this Patin guy is pretty much it.