Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #46
ultracapper

I didn't realize Monmouth was a regular meet for him. I thought he had kind of bounced in and out of it.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #47
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.
I do feel bad for Frank. I think he's better than Wrona. Just my opinion. He gave up Oaklawn for a shot at Santa Anita and unfortunately it didn't work out. I hope he's making enough money calling 2 and then 3 days a week calling Monmouth to make it worth it for him.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #48
SandyW

I don't know what Golden Gate is trying to prove, this girl may be the nicest person in the world, but she sure can't call a race. All you have to do is listen and you will hear what I mean. In a word Terrible.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

One thing I don't think has been mentioned here, I believe she is only under contract for all of five or six weeks, until the end of the current meet. I don't think it is that bad of an idea to give her this brief opportunity.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #50
dilanesp

I just spent 20 minutes with her- she's very nice. (She bought me a cup of coffee at Golden Gate.)

She works very hard and listens to her critics. She wants to know everything she needs to improve on. (Indeed, our meeting came about after she wrote me back after I had said online that she was wrapping up races too early.)

I was VERY impressed. She will improve - I can almost guarantee it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #51
dilanesp

Oh, and "Ed Johnson has the Alcatraz locked up!"
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #52
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
One thing I don't think has been mentioned here, I believe she is only under contract for all of five or six weeks, until the end of the current meet. I don't think it is that bad of an idea to give her this brief opportunity.
Considering how uptight the GG management has been in the past with race callers such as letting go of Wrona (previously for his accent), Colmus and Calo, it would surprise me if they held on to someone the public is not that happy with.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #53
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He is the main guy at Monmouth. I assume he chose that over Golden Gate, and who wouldn't? Doesn't Mth count?

But Monmouth is only 3 days a week. I guess GG is only 4, but isn't Frank a California guy anyways? I think Frank is better than Wrona, but he rolled the dice by giving up Oaklawn, which is unfortunate.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #54
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation
*cough**cough* Roger Huston *cough**cough*
Ya know what...Huston is an acquired taste. I do not care for his style. However, those in ear shot will have no issue with understanding his speech.
Very clear.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #55
Tape Reader

I always cut a little slack to race callers as I think it is one of the most difficult professions.

I was just watching my first race call of hers, as my significant other walked in. I asked, what did you think? “Show me a picture of her and I will tell you how Guys will vote.”

Anyone have a picture?
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #56
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader
I always cut a little slack to race callers as I think it is one of the most difficult professions.

I was just watching my first race call of hers, as my significant other walked in. I asked, what did you think? “Show me a picture of her and I will tell you how Guys will vote.”

Anyone have a picture?
I actually think if she's attractive she's going to take more crap because people will assume she got the job through that reason alone.

As far as what she looks like, never heard of Google? Two seconds and you'll know.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #57
SandyW

The 8th race at Golden Gate, she did not see or call the 1 down on the rail as the winner until after the race. This girl is very light on experience and needs a lot of work.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #58
molson721

I've heard in the past and found her to be quite good. I've listened to her since she took over at GG and I think she is choking with "the game on the line". I just listened to her call on race 8 on 5/15 and during the stretch run, she never mentioned the winner of a pretty close race until the final strides. I could give other examples.
She needs more experience before becoming a full time race caller but I am afraid the PC Police will condemn anybody that criticizes her and will keep her job because she is female. I would like to think you get the job because you've earned it and not because the PC Police believe that the children should pay for the sins of their parents and grand parents! Another words, white males have no right to express an opinion!
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #59
AlBundy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Ya know what...Huston is an acquired taste. I do not care for his style. However, those in ear shot will have no issue with understanding his speech.
Very clear.

Funny thing is that twenty years ago I thought he was awesome. Now....not so much.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #60
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01

As far as what she looks like, never heard of Google? Two seconds and you'll know.
Thank you for the Google hint. I found a pic and tap my significant other on the shoulder (she is watching “Call the midwife”) and ask what she thinks: “She’s hot! I like her smile.”

So there you go. She will be a hit with Guys and Gals.

We both wish her good luck!
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply