Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #31
dilanesp

I think she's going to be fine once she settles down. She actually has a very good, conversational style that is really different than most announcers; she comments on the race more than she calls it, and that's fine.

But she's clearly nervous, and she has been "wrapping up" races too soon, because she doesn't realize that on Tapeta, these late race moves are fairly common and horses can get nailed on the wire.

Give her time.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #32
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I think she's going to be fine once she settles down. She actually has a very good, conversational style that is really different than most announcers; she comments on the race more than she calls it, and that's fine.

But she's clearly nervous, and she has been "wrapping up" races too soon, because she doesn't realize that on Tapeta, these late race moves are fairly common and horses can get nailed on the wire.

Give her time.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
What has she called, 100 races total? I'm sure she'll get better.
Sure. I would like to see her enlist the services of a speech coach.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #34
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy33
Her style of calling reminds me a lot like Shane Bacon when he was at Pocono Downs. Good announcer although he could get a bit sing-song at times.

If she can get over stumbling her words, I think the sky's the limit because she does have a good voice.
Some of the old school harness announcers tend to do that. The sing song thing.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #35
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Some of the old school harness announcers tend to do that. The sing song thing.
*cough**cough* Roger Huston *cough**cough*
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #36
Poindexter

I just listened to 3 races out of curiousity. JMO, but I believe that the job of the announcer is(or at least certainly should be) to make racing exciting and get the public's adrenaline flowing Let's just say I do not think that is her strength. Ability to call horses was fine, I just think there is much more to the gig than that. By the way she is not the only announcer this critique applies to.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #37
hracingplyr

She

Is the worst. Would rather listen to Mike Bataglia
hracingplyr is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2016, 09:32 PM   #38
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr
Is the worst. Would rather listen to Mike Bataglia
Go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to listen.

Does it make you feel good by knocking someone?

That's nice.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:17 PM   #39
Stillriledup
Veteran

If an announcer doesn't 'blend into the background' I find it almost impossible to listen due to the concentration I need and want watching the races, I think this is why guys like grunder get flack because his tone is not what we are used to 99 pct of the time. I've heard tens of thousands of race calls and mosT of the time the cadence of the voice fits with what my brain is trained to hear, If we get away from that, makes me not want to listen. I'll listen to a few announcers but most of them get muted.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #40
Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to listen.

Does it make you feel good by knocking someone?

That's nice.
MUTE, that's what I did with Vic! at least Vic did not make me switch to the Playboy channel for a quickie
Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #41
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic
MUTE, that's what I did with Vic! at least Vic did not make me switch to the Playboy channel for a quickie
See. Here's a man that mutes. That's all you have to do.

No ripping of someone following a lifelong dream necessary.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #42
upthecreek

I'm sorry that's bad. Very hard to listen to. She wasn't ready for that gig
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 01:56 PM   #43
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I'm sorry that's bad. Very hard to listen to. She wasn't ready for that gig
I was really pulling for this lady, but after hearing her 5 or 6 times it's clear she's not ready yet. Maybe she'll improve but the interview process should've disqualified her unless she's just having a bad couple of weeks.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #44
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation
Jesus, GG just made a bad move here. I'm just wondering what Frank's thought of this is...along with several others who were in the running of the gig. They must be pissed
Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.
He is the main guy at Monmouth. I assume he chose that over Golden Gate, and who wouldn't? Doesn't Mth count?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply