Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #31
Robert Fischer
clean money

Some believe that jockeys can hear bettors yelling instructions through the TV's at OTBs...
Old 04-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #32
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Some believe that jockeys can hear bettors yelling instructions through the TV's at OTBs...
Maybe that explains the constant behavior of some of the regulars...they don't root for horses, they root for jockeys! Amazing but true.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Maybe that explains the constant behavior of some of the regulars...they don't root for horses, they root for jockeys! Amazing but true.
You have to root for the jockeys, but you have to cover all the bases...

Have to give your jock instructions, call out to your horse's number, root against rivals, etc.

One thing I never do is whip my leg with the form. - That's just silly. I don't think the whip makes them run any faster after they've given their all.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #34
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:

Have to give your jock instructions, call out to your horse's number, root against rivals, etc.

One thing I never do is whip my leg with the form. - That's just silly. I don't think the whip makes them run any faster after they've given their all.
Never whip your leg with the form? Gads, you have lost the edge!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #35
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Disagree, whipping the leg makes them run like hell!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:

Jockeys whip horses cause they are not going fast enough!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #37
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

The reason I'm interested in how jockeys time their rides is because I think there is a connection between what we do as handicappers and what they do as riders. Why would you suppose a rider would read the racing form? But I know that they do, or at least I have heard some of them say they do to improve themselves. In order for them to win, they must do on the track what we do in our heads, figure out a way to win with their horse. I guess that's why I am paying more attention to how and when rider consciously make their moves. Certain riders tend to repeat their ride patterns that they feel comfortable with. I see Lanerie making similar rides, others won't rally along the rail only wide, etc. I've seen r.base make the same middle move, grind the outside narrow margin win a countless times...he's got the timing down!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #38
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
The reason I'm interested in how jockeys time their rides is because I think there is a connection between what we do as handicappers and what they do as riders. ... he's got the timing down!
I think I understand what you're getting at in your post but re-read Vic's response in post #12, because I think he's more correct since no one can time it as you suggest.

I would have said he is correct but, I didn't want to appear a kiss .....

And, btw I also prefer my selections win by open lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Each race and perhaps more importantly horse is different. The great jockeys know how to maximize each horse's performance.

As for timing it just right to win by a head or a nose. Believe me that's not by design. No rider would cut it that close. When horse's rally to win by a short margin it's an all out, hells bells, balls to the wall competition.

If they had their druthers the jocks would prefer to cruise by and win by open lengths with the least stress required.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #39
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:

Get that big hoss outside, or get'em on the rail to my jock...I never call a horse by name..always the program number.

This one cant be used often, or it wont work, but you see your horse is making that move on the turn, jock is right in stride, and i'll start snapping my fingers..

On topic--Baffert mentioned once why he uses Garcia on his horses in the mornings. Said his clock in his head, is better than the one in his (Baffert's)hand.

Last edited by Tall One; 04-26-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #40
Stillriledup
Veteran

Interesting race today at GG in the 2nd. The 5 is normally a strong pace setter who rolls along on the lead, but today he didn't break so hot, multiple jocks had opportunity to change strategy midstream but nobody did, the 5 worked his way to front with a bunch of guys wrangling to yield to him. It was as if their prerace strategy was to have the 5 rolling on the lead, but when that didn't happen, nobody changed plans.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #41
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Interesting race today at GG in the 2nd. The 5 is normally a strong pace setter who rolls along on the lead, but today he didn't break so hot, multiple jocks had opportunity to change strategy midstream but nobody did, the 5 worked his way to front with a bunch of guys wrangling to yield to him. It was as if their prerace strategy was to have the 5 rolling on the lead, but when that didn't happen, nobody changed plans.
He did break slow similar to his 1/2/16 race but he quickly moved to the front and led at each of the first four calls. It's true in his races from 5/2 - 11/21 which were also route races (D/T) he broke well and led right away but maybe something has changed since it's two in a row. Regarding "nobody changed plans" maybe no one noticed his poor break after all he was in the 5th pp and that move to the front may have used up a lot of energy. Noticed, the one who passed him in the stretch was the BPP #1 and 2nd betting favorite at $3.20 to him being the favorite at $2.70 despite being BPP #5.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply