Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Why?
Only a few jockeys have "clocks in their heads". Ramon Dominguez and Jerry Bailey come to mind. These split numbers would give all jockeys the ability to see what the leader is doing... going too fast... going too slow. They could adjust their position within the pack accordingly. Going too fast? Drop back a little and save something for the end. Going too slow? Move forward because the leader may not be coming back. Just throwing out something to see if it'll stick on the wall.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #17
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj
Only a few jockeys have "clocks in their heads". Ramon Dominguez and Jerry Bailey come to mind. These split numbers would give all jockeys the ability to see what the leader is doing... going too fast... going too slow. They could adjust their position within the pack accordingly. Going too fast? Drop back a little and save something for the end. Going too slow? Move forward because the leader may not be coming back. Just throwing out something to see if it'll stick on the wall.
Just a green or red light on each pole to indicate above par or below par to the previous pole.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #18
WoxFan

I would think having a watch would be dangerous. They have enough to worry about keeping themselves safe during a race, why the heck would you want to risk it to look at a watch?

Horse racing has survived all these years and some jockeys won many many races without any timing tools, why add them now?
WoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #19
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoxFan
I would think having a watch would be dangerous. They have enough to worry about keeping themselves safe during a race, why the heck would you want to risk it to look at a watch?

Horse racing has survived all these years and some jockeys won many many races without any timing tools, why add them now?
Well, first of all, it's not a watch. It's on a post in their line of vision. Why add them now? I'm tired of jockeys mistiming rides on good horses.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #20
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoxFan

Just wear them on the inside of their wrists and they would only need to glance at them at certain points on the track. If they would use a stopwatch they wouldn't have to do any mental calculations. And, if they use a watch hopefully it will have a second hand.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
Tape Reader

Quote:
It might upset the traditionalists and it might upset the usual outcomes of races but I'd like to see fractions posted around the track where jockeys could see them during the race. OK. Let the flaming begin.
A jockey timing a ride off the tote board means to me, that he is clueless. That’s why “I” bet off the tote board.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader
A jockey timing a ride off the tote board means to me, that he is clueless. That’s why “I” bet off the tote board.
The fractions would be displayed around the track, maybe even on some of the current poles, not on the tote board. I just want to see good horses get good rides by inferior jockeys.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #23
Tape Reader

Quote:
The fractions would be displayed around the track, maybe even on some of the current poles, not on the tote board. I just want to see good horses get good rides by inferior jockeys.
What I said was in jest. IMO, a talented jockey would have zillions of variables to compute before looking at the “tote board” for assistance.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 11:02 PM   #24
Hard2Like

Tick-Tock

These are the same guys that some folks say have a hard time puttin their shoes on the right feet most days.
Not to mention what is said about timing methods and the bumbleclods working the actual timers.
My belief is that some of the better jockey's DO have an exceptional ability to judge the pace of a race, or race speed and flow- a 'clock' in their head.
And my guess is that this gift is far removed from high speed math skills.
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2016, 03:01 AM   #25
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Vic, I was wondering what you thought of Donworths performance in Sat Charles Town Classic....Mario still seems to want hold back this horse which he did this time at the beginning of the race....Castellano on Stanford was able to rail skim on easy pace to wire the field. The tight turns didn't help Donworth at all as he went wide throughout...They should just let this horse run up closer to the lead where he wants to be...
Sorry Vigors. Your post was first time I thought about the race. Had one baseball and 9 basketball games this weekend.

I'll check out the replay when I get a chance.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 AM   #26
v j stauffer

Quote:
Well, first of all, it's not a watch. It's on a post in their line of vision. Why add them now? I'm tired of jockeys mistiming rides on good horses.
C'mon you're joking right?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 AM   #27
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
C'mon you're joking right?
Quote:
Well, first of all, it's not a watch. It's on a post in their line of vision.
It's just an idea and could be considered a joke by traditionalists who I mentioned earlier. Here's another idea outside the box. Put radio receivers in jockey's helmets to hear the fractions from a radio source at the track. Now, THAT would really be considered a joke by most.

Quote:
Why add them now? I'm tired of jockeys mistiming rides on good horses.
".. in a well-timed ride" is a pretty common expression by TV pundits and perhaps yourself over the years? By the way, it was always a pleasure listening to your calls. Not only were they informational but you've got "great pipes". You could easily be a TV announcer as a second career.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #28
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Augenj,

I like using your ratings that you provide for us here at Pace. After the lists are developed, how do you personally use all the info in them to develop your wagering?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 04-26-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #29
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Augenj,

I like using your ratings that you provide for us here at Pace. After the lists are developed, how do you personally use all the info in them to develop your wagering?
I'm afraid we're hijacking the thread but the short answer is that I have two systems, one private and one public that you see here and on my board. The private system has stats for conditions that the top horse finds himself in. If it's profitable over 2 years, it's bettable to me. I'll be betting this summer after years of development wind down.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #30
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
I'm afraid we're hijacking the thread but the short answer is that I have two systems, one private and one public that you see here and on my board. The private system has stats for conditions that the top horse finds himself in. If it's profitable over 2 years, it's bettable to me. I'll be betting this summer after years of development wind down.
Great. Thanks for responding. I'll bring it up on your thread. Thanks again.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: