Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Poll: Can Mohaymen bounce back in the Kentucky Derby?
Poll Options
Can Mohaymen bounce back in the Kentucky Derby?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #31
Andrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter
I'm not so sure Welsch was meaning that in a positive way since, in his clocker report, he was talking about Mohaymen's energy level as a concern.

Bruno DeJulio also commented on Mohaymen this morning as well. Somebody tweeted him saying "Mohaymen looked like he was going to jump out of his skin this morning" in which Bruno responded by asking "and you think that's a positive?" and then he further expanded by asking the guy "how do you expect a horse to go 10f if he can't relax in the morning".
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #32
Andrick

From this morning;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4TM46ZGdJQ

I personally can't see much positive at all in the way Mohaymen looks in that video.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #33
Robert Fischer
clean money

1. he's energetic and strong

2. he got his blood flowing again and continues on-course for the goal

I don't think today's gallop was any indication that we will not see the Mohaymen that we already know. That's really what we are looking for. Flaws or clear variance from known form.

Wasn't a great thing, but I don't think it hurt him any. I'd be much more worried if a horse with questionable fundamentals did this, as they would benefit more from whatever fundamentally sound(which this clearly wasn't) repetition possible.

- Watching several of this year's 3yos maintenance-gallop, (probably more noticeable in recent years because video is now routinely posted for us), You have to wonder whether a jock who can't slow his horse with a hammer-lock isn't just better suited to allowing the horse to run a bit more freely.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #34
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrick
From this morning;

I personally can't see much positive at all in the way Mohaymen looks in that video.

horse looks like he's full of run and the exercise rider is choking him down in order to hold him back.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #35
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
I'm not so sure Welsch was meaning that in a positive way since, in his clocker report, he was talking about Mohaymen's energy level as a concern.

Bruno DeJulio also commented on Mohaymen this morning as well. Somebody tweeted him saying "Mohaymen looked like he was going to jump out of his skin this morning" in which Bruno responded by asking "and you think that's a positive?" and then he further expanded by asking the guy "how do you expect a horse to go 10f if he can't relax in the morning".

this is going to come off like im a Moheyman fan boy but im not. actually i havent made up my mind yet but....

come game time he is always as cool calm and collected as possible. it was either the holy bull or fountain of youth, i dont remember, but the horse right in front of him the post parade got spooked and freaked out like a few feet from him. I remember how calm he remained and Mohaymen just looked at him like what the hecks wrong with this guy then just walked by him and i said to myself, 'man if that didnt spook him nothing will'

if anything iv faulted him because i think hes too calm, like hes half asleep in the paddock everytime.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #36
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
From this morning;

looks weird. looks like he wants to blast off but the jockey is choking him. whats the heck is going on there? wacky stuff

if i had to caption that id go with " stop choking me you bastard, im a thoroughbred i wanna run dammit"
Old 04-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #37
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
If you were a high profile trainer, involved in an important Derby prep race, would you publicly admit that there was a potential scenario in which your horse would not be asked for an all-out performance, and potentially alienate yourself, and your livelihood, from the racing industry and it's wagering patrons?

I think not. But, for an attentive, and commonsensical, analyst of the relevant data and circumstances prior to that race, that potential scenario certainly existed.
Spoken like a man who has been around horse racing and doesn't need the actual words to validate his opinions but guesses as much between the lines of verbiage as he does in between a set of past performances! Real McCoy Ray!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #38
PowerUpPaynter

Very very very interested in Mohaymen's work tomorrow morning.

The theme of this derby for me this week has been to Mohaymen or to Mohaymen... Thats been my biggest question i keep asking myself.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #39
classhandicapper

Mohayman seems to be one of those love him or hate him horses. Some people think he was never very good to begin with and the Florida Derby exposed that. Some people think he's going to be good value off one bad race on a wet track.

I find myself in the middle again.

I think his wide trip chasing Nyquist was tougher than it looked and I'm willing to totally toss that race. But I don't see him as much more than a contender off everything before that. He'll have to move forward.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #40
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
From this morning;

That video showed nothing about Mohaymen, when a jock/exercise rider pulls the reins hard enough to jerk the horse's lead leg up to shoulder height, it's the jock/exercise rider who isn't showing any positives. If you can't handle the horse then get off it.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #41
dballard125

This morning's gallop. This dude just looks full of run to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuG4FJvOXI
dballard125 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #42
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballard125
This morning's gallop. This dude just looks full of run to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GuG4FJvOXI

i dont know enough about horse mannerisms so dont quote me but man he looks like he is loving it on that track
Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #43
dballard125

Quote:
i dont know enough about horse mannerisms so dont quote me but man he looks like he is loving it on that track
Same here. I've spent thousands of hours on Churchill's backside, but I'm no expert horseman...so I can't say whether Mo is locked & loaded, or otherwise. But just looking at his works...he looks like he loves the surface, and just wants to be let loose. I hope I am right, because I'll be including him underneath most of my tickets.
dballard125 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #44
PowerUpPaynter

one thing of note because I know a few people have mentioned Secretariat's 3rd place finish in the Wood Memorial in relation to Mohaymen's Florida flop but it was found Secretariat had an abscess in his throat after the Wood they found nothing with Mohaymen.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #45
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
one thing of note because I know a few people have mentioned Secretariat's 3rd place finish in the Wood Memorial in relation to Mohaymen's Florida flop but it was found Secretariat had an abscess in his throat after the Wood they found nothing with Mohaymen.
I was expecting they would find that epiglotis stuff like what took out Cupid, looked like he just ran out of breath....Doesn't seem like he'll get 10 furlongs but he does have talent that's for sure....Toss at you own risk I guess..
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply