Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost king
After the World Cup, Perry was interviewed, and the stated goal was to retire California Chrome, as the all time money winning throughbred. He said, that there were a couple of Japanese horses that they had to pass, to achieve the goal. So the object is to reach that mantle. He mentioned, the Breeders Cup, the grass race that was the old Hollywood Cup ( ineligible, as he is no longer a 3yr old), the Pegasus Race $12M purse at Gulfstream(can't see that happening). Almost every horse, that has won the Dubai race, whether from NA or Euro, has been severely compromised after winning that race. This horse last year, was gassed, and it took a year for him to recover. What makes them think, they this time it is going to be any different? 19 horses before them, failed, what makes them think, that they are smarter? So far, history shows, that they aren't. It has never been about the horse, it has always and will continue to be about THE MONEY!
that sounds nice, but they are paying more to insure the horse than they can get in purses going forward. of course the more they win the more stud fees they will get. they are walking a very thin line with that horse though by risking the horse every time he runs.

in case you haven't seen the sales lately, good horses are bringing huge money all over the world. the Pacific Classic is a very huge race and CALIFORNIA CHROME being in it should attract plenty of spectator's and bettors for that day.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
that sounds nice, but they are paying more to insure the horse than they can get in purses going forward. of course the more they win the more stud fees they will get. they are walking a very thin line with that horse though by risking the horse every time he runs.

in case you haven't seen the sales lately, good horses are bringing huge money all over the world. the Pacific Classic is a very huge race and CALIFORNIA CHROME being in it should attract plenty of spectator's and bettors for that day.
While what you say about the insurance money is possibly true, if they're "risking the horse" and "walking a thin line" (of what, the horse dying? of being so badly injured he can't go to stud?) just by racing him at all, then let's retire all horses and end the sport.

As far as the owners, while I've certainly ripped their bonehead decisions in the past, in this case it looks like they're just negotiating. They've got the biggest active star in racing (at least until we get a new Derby winner) and they want to get paid for it. As long as it's a real race they run in and not just a walkover, I'm fine with them trying to get as much as they can in purse money.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #18
spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Extorting? Whoring? You can't be serious. We live in a free market society. Why are people pieces of shit because they want to try to make the most possible money?
You're a gem. Gotta love people that use the misnomer of free market along with make as much money as you can in the same sentance . Guess this isn't as bad as a pharma company, but it does reek a tad of greed. Double what you normally pay or we'll go elsewhere because well, we are the best and America is all about who is the best and you must give us more money to have the best set hoof in your plant.

Your take is make as much money as you can no matter who may have to pay the price (and I confess of not knowing who may have to pony up here). It's arrogant and wrong, but that's never stopped anybody. At some juncture it has to be more than just making the most money if this sport and country are to survive.
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
Thomas Roulston

While they are increasing the purse, how about paying purse money all the way down? Speaking of which, did you see the purse format for those Tremont and Astoria "trials"? It is 50% to first, 20% to second, 10% to third, 7.5% to fourth, 5% to fifth, 4% to sixth, and 3.5% divided evenly to seventh through last!

Since when has NYRA been such a beacon of innovation when it comes to dividing purses?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Cholly

this highlights again the flawed business model horse racing's over-rewarding 3yo's whom nobody has ever heard of (and, most likely, will never hear of again), and under paying established stars. I don't know what the right numbers are, but anytime California Chrome, Beholder, etc. set foot on the track, they should be running for 10X whatever amount the no-names in the Louisiana & Arkansas Derbies are running for.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
Stillriledup
Veteran

So if DMR made millions of extra dollars due to CCs presence and theoretically kept the purse at 1m, should they 'share' the windfall w the customers ? No, they'll keep 100 pct of it, admissions, alcohol, DRFs, takeout rates, etc would all remained unchanged. Not one penny would be given back to the customer.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
So if DMR made millions of extra dollars due to CCs presence and theoretically kept the purse at 1m, should they 'share' the windfall w the customers ? No, they'll keep 100 pct of it, admissions, alcohol, DRFs, takeout rates, etc would all remained unchanged. Not one penny would be given back to the customer.
I'm curious. How in the world is DMR going to make MILLIONS OF EXTRA DOLLARS due to the presence of CC?

Someone please explain. This sounds like fantasy land to me...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm curious. How in the world is DMR going to make MILLIONS OF EXTRA DOLLARS due to the presence of CC?

Someone please explain. This sounds like fantasy land to me...
If there's 10k more ontraćk fans who buy 11 dollar budweisers I'm not sure how that adds up. Maybe Dilanep can explain the math part.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If there's 10k more ontraćk fans who buy 11 dollar budweisers I'm not sure how that adds up. Maybe Dilanep can explain the math part.
I doubt very much that CC will draw 10,000 more fans to DMR on a day when they draw one of their biggest crowds to begin with...

In fact, I dare say the casual fan isn't all that connected to CC as they were to some other recent "stars." So if you can't pull in casual fans because of CC, and everyone else who was going to be there is going to be there anyway....

Where do the MILLIONS come from?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
Frost king

How does adding a horse, that will be even money or less into a race, A) make it more of a betting spectacle or B) entice horses to come from all over to run at Delmar? Just to make up the extra $1M, they would have to generate $4.5M more in handle to just break even on the proposition, and that is assuming that it is bet all on track. Who knows what the number would have to be with most of the money coming from off-site.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
How does adding a horse, that will be even money or less into a race, A) make it more of a betting spectacle or B) entice horses to come from all over to run at Delmar? Just to make up the extra $1M, they would have to generate $4.5M more in handle to just break even on the proposition, and that is assuming that it is bet all on track. Who knows what the number would have to be with most of the money coming from off-site.
Exactly...making the race LESS competitive isn't going to attract MORE handle. Thus we lose another avenue with which to make this mystical extra MILLIONS that have been mentioned in this thread.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #27
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
So CCs presence is COSTING them money?

QUICK, contact Joe Harper!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
ultracapper

It probably will if they have to put up another $Mil. Harper will do the math. CC will be there.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #29
ronsmac

Quote:
Delmar is probably banking on higher ticket prices and increased attendance, more drinks being sold, memorabilia , box seats etc... I'm sure they'll crunch the numbers and try to project if Chromes presence will be worth the purse increase. The horse is very popular, especially in California. I'd bet that it would be a good business move for all parties.

Last edited by ronsmac; 04-12-2016 at 01:34 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #30
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
Delmar is probably banking on higher ticket prices and increased attendance, more drinks being sold, memorabilia , box seats etc... I'm sure they'll crunch the numbers and try to project if Chromes presence will be worth the purse increase. The horse is very popular, especially in California. I'd bet that it would be a good business move for all parties.
You'd win your bet.