Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Kash$
Veteran

Sherman wants a purse increase for the Pacific Classic..

https://t.co/q9W6KYuEuc

The price tag has been set for California Chrome to run in Del Mar’s Pacific Classic this summer: $2 million.

“The Pacific Classic is on our agenda,” said Art Sherman, California Chrome’s trainer, on Monday, “but we hope they raise the purse to $2 million. That would get us there.

“There are a lot of other tracks out there that want us.”

The Grade I Pacific Classic, scheduled for Aug. 20, has a purse of $1 million. A purse increase would take some negotiating with the Thoroughbred Owners of California.

“The horse is certainly worth it,” said Joe Harper, president and CEO of Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. “Now the question is whether we can afford it. We’ll have to see. We’d love to have him. Maybe I can get Art down to $1.5 million.”
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'd stay firm at 2 I was Art.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Where do you suppose the extra 500K to 1000K would come from? Spread the wealth around alittle...if there are so many tracks that want him then let him go and get it there....then there is more for other California trainers, hopefully...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 04-11-2016 at 07:31 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
andtheyreoff

Would Chrome's appearance in the Pacific Classic generate $1 million in extra revenue for Del Mar? I wonder.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
Would Chrome's appearance in the Pacific Classic generate $1 million in extra revenue for Del Mar? I wonder.
Easily. Look at the difference in numbers when Nyquist met Mohaymen in the Florida Derby.

Any time racing can dip it's toe into the mainstream sports consciousness. Positive results can be massive.

CC is a name that crosses that line.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 04-11-2016 at 08:01 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Harper has been around a long time and is probably a good negotiator.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

When does Chrome's name officially change to Money Grab?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Has nothing to do with money grab, he's a big name horse, 2 is their price, if you don't want to pay it I'm pretty sure it's no skin off the nose of the connections, they're not taking anything that isn't theirs if tracks don't want to pay the piper that's fine I'm sure the connections will have no hard feelings.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Another thing, they could just tell the track that the 'appearance fee' is 500k or a million and leave the purse at 1 mil, but being the nice guys that they are, they're taking their 'fee' as part of the purse which helps the track attract other stars. For 2 mil you might get another star east horse, for a million to come 3000 miles to race against CC it's half as enticing.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Where do you suppose the extra 500K to 1000K would come from? Spread the wealth around alittle...if there are so many tracks that want him then let him go and get it there....then there is more for other California trainers, hopefully...
Knowing the powers that be....raise the takeout??
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
thespaah

Hmm..
OK lets say the DMTC tells CC's connections to go pound sand.
What are they going to do? Not run the horse at all?
Let's say for a moment the purse goes to the level CC's people want and other connections want a piece. So they come from all over the planet. CC gets trounced. Then who has egg on their face. It would be poetic justice should the connection of CC to walk away empty handed after extorting an extra one million bucks out of DMTC.
Look, I am not anti CC..I think he's a great race horse. I do however object to the owners whoring out this animal to the highest bidder as though they and not the horse are the greatest thing since they decided to start using a pitch fork to muck stalls.
I think Del Mar should use the approached used by young Vito Corleone( Godfather II) when he told his friends to offer the local Mob Boss, "The Black Hand" $100 instead of the $200 he wanted.....Even though the Mob Boss was very unhappy, he took the $100.
Del Mar management should come back with $1.25 million for the purse with a $200k appearance fee.....The Owners of CC are guaranteed to get something for their troubles, the lower purse would most likely ward off any super star horses that would jump at the two million which in turn reduces the risk to CC and the track saves itself $550,000

Last edited by thespaah; 04-12-2016 at 12:37 AM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2016, 12:43 AM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail
Knowing the powers that be....raise the takeout??
If this was the final post in the history of Internet message boards, I'm pretty sure we could all live with it!

[YT=""]_A3oh0UdhDM[/YT]
Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Hmm..
Let's say for a moment the purse goes to the level CC's people want and other connections want a piece. So they come from all over the planet. CC gets trounced. Then who has egg on their face. It would be poetic justice should the connection of CC to walk away empty handed after extorting an extra one million bucks out of DMTC.
Look, I am not anti CC..I think he's a great race horse. I do however object to the owners whoring out this animal to the highest bidder as though they and not the horse are the greatest thing since they decided to start using a pitch fork to muck stalls.
I think Del Mar should use the approached used by young Vito Corleone( Godfather II) when he told his friends to offer the local Mob Boss, "The Black Hand" $100 instead of the $200 he wanted.....Even though the Mob Boss was very unhappy, he took the $100.
Del Mar management should come back with $1.25 million for the purse with a $200k appearance fee.....The Owners of CC are guaranteed to get something for their troubles, the lower purse would most likely ward off any super star horses that would jump at the two million which in turn reduces the risk to CC and the track saves itself $550,000
So you're objecting to the connections of CC seeing or receiving one extra cent that is profited specifically due to CCs presence?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:49 AM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Hmm..
Extorting? Whoring? You can't be serious. We live in a free market society. Why are people pieces of shit because they want to try to make the most possible money?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Frost king

After the World Cup, Perry was interviewed, and the stated goal was to retire California Chrome, as the all time money winning throughbred. He said, that there were a couple of Japanese horses that they had to pass, to achieve the goal. So the object is to reach that mantle. He mentioned, the Breeders Cup, the grass race that was the old Hollywood Cup ( ineligible, as he is no longer a 3yr old), the Pegasus Race $12M purse at Gulfstream(can't see that happening). Almost every horse, that has won the Dubai race, whether from NA or Euro, has been severely compromised after winning that race. This horse last year, was gassed, and it took a year for him to recover. What makes them think, they this time it is going to be any different? 19 horses before them, failed, what makes them think, that they are smarter? So far, history shows, that they aren't. It has never been about the horse, it has always and will continue to be about THE MONEY!
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply