Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
MJC922

Office 2016

A week or two ago I upgraded from Office 2010 to 2016, what a disaster, Excel is dog slow even on 8GB RAM and SSDs, MS just can't seem to do anything right. Office is like all they have going for them and still they have to screw around with it. For example paste 32000 cells (values only) it pastes them and then forces a recalc of the whole workbook, why? There's no possible reason to recalculate when pasting values into a blank sheet. Then we have the silly animations so you get motion sickness when tabbing from cell to cell, the latter can be turned off but still the ideas they come up with and actually think these are positive changes -- it's troubling.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am looking at Libre Office to replace the MS dog.
All I need is that one of the options in their database program is to save a query to their spreadsheet, like you can do with Access/Excel.

That is the only thing I need from MS at this point.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
MJC922

Another 'improvement', double-click the Office 2016 installer and off it goes, you get no choices, for example I just want to install Excel, Access and Word, but no, minutes later you have fisher-price themed icons in your taskbar for Outlook, Publisher etc, so you can't uncheck what you don't want anymore.

... and when you uninstall, again no choices, it doesn't allow you to selectively uninstall any of the apps. In this case I won't complain, it took everything and I'm back to Office 2010, probably for a very long time.

For those who really want to selectively install and maybe uninstall like the old days, just for you MS has created the Office deployment tool which allows you to create your own XML files (yippee!) which provide you with some control over the installation. They call this progress. Something tells me Bill Gates wouldn't have been OK with this.

Last edited by MJC922; 03-12-2016 at 06:54 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I am looking at Libre Office to replace the MS dog.
All I need is that one of the options in their database program is to save a query to their spreadsheet, like you can do with Access/Excel.
Is this what you want?
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply