Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 03-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Want New PC-HELP

Hello Team PA,

I don't need a new PC but want one. I have 3 days off and want to shop quick. I am a tech dummy.

Here's what I think I want.

1) Large hard drive space so I can save a ton of videos/pictures.
2) High quality video quality
3) My current PC has had the mother board or something like that burn out 3x. Guy I bring it to at Chinatown says you watch too many videos, it burns out. $50 dollahs. I fix. I couldn't get myself to tell him it's race replays that causes all that video time
4) I have windows 7. It will take me 12 years to adjust to something new. Can I keep windows 7?
5) I will probably buy a tablet too for mobile handicapping. Want simple technology to move pics from tablet to pc
6) What is this 4K I hear of? 4K video graphics or whatever?
7) How do I switch my Kaspersky from this PC to the new one? I just paid for a 1 year subscription.
8) I don't use MACs. Have no clue about them.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Yes.

There is high quality and then there is HIGH quality. My son, who is a set designer (just finished Planet of the Apes 3) uses a $1,500 video card. If you get a computer that supports HDMI you will likely have "good enough" quality.

3) My current PC has had the mother board or something like that burn out 3x. Guy I bring it to at Chinatown says you watch too many videos, it burns out. $50 dollahs. I fix. I couldn't get myself to tell him it's race replays that causes all that video time.
Now you are talking about OnBoard video cards. Yes, the cheapies can fry. I have 12 computers (give or take). Rarely have to replace a video card.

4) I have windows 7. It will take me 12 years to adjust to something new. Can I keep windows 7?
Whichever OS you get (not sure about 10) just buy the Stardock product called "Start8." Gives you back a Win7 desktop. (Costs $4.95)

5) I will probably buy a tablet too for mobile handicapping. Want simple technology to move pics from tablet to pc
This is so easy that not worth a comment.

See item 2.

7) How do I switch my Kaspersky from this PC to the new one? I just paid for a 1 year subscription.
Uninstall, reinstall. (I use Kaspersky.)

More power, nicer OS. Way more money.

My Recommendation: Dump the on-board video and get a dual head card. That will give you TWO monitors. Watch video on one while you look at data on the other.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Yes.

There is high quality and then there is HIGH quality. My son, who is a set designer (just finished Planet of the Apes 3) uses a $1,500 video card. If you get a computer that supports HDMI you will likely have "good enough" quality.

3) My current PC has had the mother board or something like that burn out 3x. Guy I bring it to at Chinatown says you watch too many videos, it burns out. $50 dollahs. I fix. I couldn't get myself to tell him it's race replays that causes all that video time.
Now you are talking about OnBoard video cards. Yes, the cheapies can fry. I have 12 computers (give or take). Rarely have to replace a video card.

Whichever OS you get (not sure about 10) just buy the Stardock product called "Start8." Gives you back a Win7 desktop. (Costs $4.95)

This is so easy that not worth a comment.

See item 2.

Uninstall, reinstall. (I use Kaspersky.)

More power, nicer OS. Way more money.

My Recommendation: Dump the on-board video and get a dual head card. That will give you TWO monitors. Watch video on one while you look at data on the other.
Thank you Dave!

So, what laptop should I buy? What company? What size hard drive/or whatever it is you call it should I make sure it has?

Dual head card? Does that mean having 2 monitors? Or a split screen?

Do most current laptops support HDMI?

Once again, THANK YOU!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Stupid question:

I tried to google it but no luck finding the answer in my english

Where do PICS and Videos get saved? Is that Ram Space? In other words, what should I make sure I have (when buying a laptop) so that I can save hundreds or thousands of pics and videos?

Is it a large (1 TB Ram or 16 GB Memory) or is it something else?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

3) My current PC has had the mother board or something like that burn out 3x. Guy I bring it to at Chinatown says you watch too many videos, it burns out. $50 dollahs. I fix. I couldn't get myself to tell him it's race replays that causes all that video time

Should have just said you fried the motherboard watching "adult" movies..

I read that ....**cough**..... is quite common.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Stupid question:

I tried to google it but no luck finding the answer in my english

Where do PICS and Videos get saved? Is that Ram Space? In other words, what should I make sure I have (when buying a laptop) so that I can save hundreds or thousands of pics and videos?

Is it a large (1 TB Ram or 16 GB Memory) or is it something else?
Pics and videos get saved on the hard drive. You can get a 1 or 2 TB (terabyte) drive pretty cheap nowadays for a desktop and probably a 320 or 500 GB (gigabyte) hard drive for a laptop. The laptop hardware will usually cost more than its desktop counterparts. Hard drives are the storage space and ram is the memory or temporary storage location. If you're gonna run a lot of apps/programs and keep them open at the same time, get as much ram as possible. If you want to store a lot of pics/videos, get as big a hard drive or SSD (solid state drive) as possible.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Pics and videos get saved on the hard drive. You can get a 1 or 2 TB (terabyte) drive pretty cheap nowadays for a desktop and probably a 320 or 500 GB (gigabyte) hard drive for a laptop. The laptop hardware will usually cost more than its desktop counterparts. Hard drives are the storage space and ram is the memory or temporary storage location. If you're gonna run a lot of apps/programs and keep them open at the same time, get as much ram as possible. If you want to store a lot of pics/videos, get as big a hard drive or SSD (solid state drive) as possible.
Excellent, excellent, excellent ADVICE Longshot6977. Thank you as well sincerely!
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

I did not realize that you're looking for a laptop. That changes things.

Try this...

1. Go to Best buy. Check out some Toshibas.

2. Look to see if there are two models that look very similar - one being an older model. You may be able to get a great deal. I got a $900 Toshiba a couple of years ago for under $600.

or

3. Look for a refurb online. You can save

Special note: I vowed never to deal with Dell again. The customer service and tech support is just excellent - until it isn't. Once you complain, you can never get good support from the again. (Seriously - you get routed to different caliber of support.)
Old 03-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Go to Best buy. Check out some Toshibas.
Also, check out ASUS......Best Laptop I've ever owned, sharpest picture screen.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

True. Asus always made the best motherboards and their laptops have a great reputation.

Not sure about speed, though. That's why I went for the Toshiba.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
DeltaLover

EMD, as I told you yesterday night you should simply make the transition from M$ to linux. Ubuntu is more user friendly than windows and a much better operating system for many reasons: no need for antivirus, frequent updates, simpler architecture, open source culture and tons of free software. In this forum you will see some postings about people who try to stop the sun, wanting to continue using antiquated operating systems like windows 7 or even XP, simply because they are afraid to move ahead; this is a very bad mentality as technology is all about moving ahead and never looking back and those who fail to realize it are quickly transformed to dinosaurs struggling to keep up with innovation..

In this page you can see some of the laptops I have to recommend to you:

https://system76.com/laptops

If you need a bit more performance you will need some customization. The following is a box that I think it needs your needs at a low price:

We can always go through the customization process together of course...

Last edited by DeltaLover; 03-09-2016 at 07:46 AM.
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
mikesal57
Veteran

Sticking with Dave's recommendation on Toshiba...

You can get this at Best Buy...But you'll need a little time on learning windows 10...
As for transferring things from one to another...buy a 64gig Flash Drive..they r cheap

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-...&skuId=4203500

Last edited by mikesal57; 03-09-2016 at 09:11 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I made a mistake at the beginning of this thread. I said PC, meant laptop.

I thank you ALL for your feedback. I have to run to the hospital and will be back tonight. I will check all info as soon as I get back.

THANK YOU
Old 03-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
RunForTheRoses

Check out pricewatch.com and only buy from a seller with good and may reviews.
A flash or usb drive would be an ok way to move files back and forth, an external hard drive is also a solution and offers more permanent backup.
Have heard good things about the surface pro.
Linux is cool but winbloze may be more easy to use.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Red Knave
dGnr8

All the above mentioned advice is good. I have previously owned and would recommend Toshiba or Asus (including refurbs). HP and Dell not so much.

My advice is to first decide how much you want to spend and then buy as much computer as you can for that amount. They're getting to be commodities now so, generally speaking, you will get the same pricing for the same quality of machine at most major retailers.
Buy it somewhere that will still be around next month in case you need service and consider a place like Costco where you can return anything even if you just don't like it.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: