Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 02-24-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Who Gave Twinspires Permission To "Adjust" My Bet?

I bet a 50cent, 4-horse trifecta, -- keying the with the , , --cost of wager = $9.00

The was a scratch--so my ADW goes ahead and gives me a 3-horse 50cent tri box, charging me $3.00 The problem is--that was NOT my wager--and trust me--I'm not sweating the 3 bucks. It's just that, if I wanted a 3-horse box, that would have been my wager.

COMPLETED: 86403-3a8a9GP#1 $0.50 Trifecta BN, 3, WT, 2, 6, 7 $9.00 $6.00 -$3.00

Naturally, the first response will be..."Would you be complaining if that 3-horse tri box had hit?" Well....hell no I wouldn't be complaining--that isn't the point here. What if I had boxed 4-horses in a super--one scratches--they wouldn't adjust it to a 3-horse trifecta box.

My own opinion--if TS canceled wagers in this situation--they're overall handle would go down. They're looking to increase handle, not cut back.

Do all ADW's make a practice of adjusting wagers down , when scratches occur?
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
green80

yes, if you were at the track and there was a scratch at the gate, you would still have a 3 horse box. Your box is treated as individual bets for scratch purposes and only the bets with the scratched horse are cancelled. Now if it was a 4 horse super, then you get a refund. A minimum number of horses to make the bet must go.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80
yes, if you were at the track and there was a scratch at the gate, you would still have a 3 horse box. Your box is treated as individual bets for scratch purposes and only the bets with the scratched horse are cancelled. Now if it was a 4 horse super, then you get a refund. A minimum number of horses to make the bet must go.

Well! Thanks for ruining a perfectly good thread---by MAKING PERFECT SENSE in the first response

Next time-- give someone a chance to blame this all on democrats, jockeys, stewards, BLM, and rampant drug use ruining our beloved sport.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
azeri98

Same thing up here in Canada, if after scratches your bet meets the minimum it stands.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I think you gave them permission when you signed up to use them as your ADW.
it's probably in the fine print somewhere.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Well! Thanks for ruining a perfectly good thread---by MAKING PERFECT SENSE in the first response

Next time-- give someone a chance to blame this all on democrats, jockeys, stewards, BLM, and rampant drug use ruining our beloved sport.
NCG, you are a FUNNY and CLASS act my man

Carry on now....
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
green80

Quote:

my bad
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
davew

If it was an Aqueduct race, there would have been a good chance the scratch would have cut enough starters so entire show and superfecta pools would have been cancelled. You would have gotten all your bet back, even if it came in....
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
I bet a 50cent, 4-horse trifecta, -- keying the with the , , --cost of wager = $9.00

The was a scratch--so my ADW goes ahead and gives me a 3-horse 50cent tri box, charging me $3.00 The problem is--that was NOT my wager--and trust me--I'm not sweating the 3 bucks. It's just that, if I wanted a 3-horse box, that would have been my wager.

COMPLETED: 86403-3a8a9GP#1 $0.50 Trifecta BN, 3, WT, 2, 6, 7 $9.00 $6.00 -$3.00

Naturally, the first response will be..."Would you be complaining if that 3-horse tri box had hit?" Well....hell no I wouldn't be complaining--that isn't the point here. What if I had boxed 4-horses in a super--one scratches--they wouldn't adjust it to a 3-horse trifecta box.

My own opinion--if TS canceled wagers in this situation--they're overall handle would go down. They're looking to increase handle, not cut back.

Do all ADW's make a practice of adjusting wagers down , when scratches occur?
Doesn't look to me that the wager was adjusted at all. A three horse box is the same as a horse keyed in all three slots with two other horses, but it saves a button by not requiring the "with" selection.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #10
horses4courses

You originally bet 18 separate combinations on one ticket.
After the scratch, you still have six intact (refund on the remainder).
Standard practice.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #11
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Doesn't look to me that the wager was adjusted at all. A three horse box is the same as a horse keyed in all three slots with two other horses, but it saves a button by not requiring the "with" selection.

Well of course it's different....I asked for a 4-horse trifecta--with one of the horses "keyed"...I'm sure everyone knows that KEYING a horse saves half the cost of a simple 4-horse box.
I didn't wager on a 3-horse box--but got one anyway.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
You originally bet 18 separate combinations on one ticket.
After the scratch, you still have six intact (refund on the remainder).
Standard practice.

Yes....as I've been told, H4C.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Well of course it's different....I asked for a 4-horse trifecta--with one of the horses "keyed"...I'm sure everyone knows that KEYING a horse saves half the cost of a simple 4-horse box.
I didn't wager on a 3-horse box--but got one anyway.
I wouldn't describe it as different. You're original bet's valid combinations were still in play, and in this case simply resulted in being THE SAME as a three horse box. For the record, your wager was NOT a box, it was still a three horse tri key BOX.

Bottom line is that after the scratch you should have canceled the wager to save that $3 if the scratch of the made the wager a bad one. Or would you rather the valid combinations after a late scratch are ALWAYS canceled?

Last edited by Hoofless_Wonder; 02-27-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Hoofless_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #14
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
I wouldn't describe it as different. You're original bet's valid combinations were still in play, and in this case simply resulted in being THE SAME as a three horse box. For the record, your wager was NOT a box, it was still a three horse tri key BOX.

Bottom line is that after the scratch you should have canceled the wager to save that $3 if the scratch of the made the wager a bad one. Or would you rather the valid combinations after a late scratch are ALWAYS canceled?
Okay you've gone from making assumptions...to out-and-out blaming me--the victim (in a sense).

The original question was WHO GAVE MY ADW PERMISSION TO ALTER MY BET?

Now all of a sudden--I should have done this and that, etc.

We're just spinning our wheels here, HW. You're better than I, at plain-text debating...this could continue for days.

Let's just call it a draw, shall we?

Thanks for posting

-NCG
Old 02-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Okay you've gone from making assumptions...to out-and-out blaming me--the victim (in a sense).

The original question was WHO GAVE MY ADW PERMISSION TO ALTER MY BET?

Now all of a sudden--I should have done this and that, etc.

We're just spinning our wheels here, HW. You're better than I, at plain-text debating...this could continue for days.

Let's just call it a draw, shall we?

Thanks for posting

-NCG
I don't mean to "blame" you, per se. But you are not a victim. I think your description of the issue is misleading. The rules for late scratches are clearly defined, where live combinations are still considered a valid wager.

YOU gave permission to the ADW to proceed this way when signing up for an account and agreeing to the terms and conditions. So if thinking that the wager was altered and asking who's responsible, we know who that is.

Your bet was NOT altered by the ADW, but simply reduced in the number of live combintations. You were charged for the tri KEY box combinations which were still valid. If the had been scratched instead of the , you would have received a complete refund, and been happy, right? Without your key, the bet is no good. By "boxing" the other three horses, you've implied their importance to the wager is equal, and the remaining portions of the key are still valid.

In the ideal world, we would have an option on how to handle wagers when late scratches occur. In your case, perhaps the horse was a speed type you thought would test and help weaken another speed horse, and with the scratch now the race plays out completely differently. Perhaps a complete refund is preferable. But most tracks, and not the ADWs, will determine whether remaining combos go, and they like to retain wagers once placed.

Could be worse. You can bet Hong Kong where no wagers can be canceled. That's bit me a couple of times, but it's still my favorite circuit.