Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

How Soon and How Much?

The general consensus is that Microsoft will start charging for updates to Windows 10? Has anyone any idea or opinions on how much and how soon. I'm guessing it will be some type of yearly fee but when and how much?
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'll say $100-125, starting by January 1, 2017.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I'll say $100-125, starting by January 1, 2017.
I'm guessing not before Jan 2020 as I think that's the date for the end of Windows 7 Patches.. Windows 8. I think is a year later. But you could be right and they start charging next year.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
DRIVEWAY

Annual charge around $10 would be realistic for patches.
DRIVEWAY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

W7 is done now, isn't it?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEWAY
Annual charge around $10 would be realistic for patches.
I used the word "patches", but should have just said "Updates". That covers patches and security etc.

Support for Windows 7 doesn't end for 3 plus more years Tom and for Windows 8 series a year or more later.. When I say support, my understanding is that's when security updates will stop . I have read that Windows 10 is the last one so people believe it will be a pay type situation at some point.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
MJC922

I don't think you'll have to worry about any fee if you've upgraded to Windows 10, it will continue getting patches and new features rolled out to it without paying a dime. However there will be a point when they stop supporting what will eventually be your old (long out of warranty hardware) and at that point you'll be forced to buy new hardware with new windows 10 on it to get supported again and / or to obtain the new features being rolled out. I suspect native drivers will start to get thin in years to come and this will segue into a very Apple-like strategy where new revs of iOS end up driving new hardware purchases because the old iPads and iPods can't even be upgraded to the new OS, so if you want that shiny new 'app' that only runs on the latest iOS time to pay up. Microsoft knows what they're doing, they don't need any money from these devices they've rolled out Win10 to, they'll get the money eventually, more importantly you're not running iOS, that alone is a strategic win at this point.

Last edited by MJC922; 02-01-2016 at 07:55 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
I don't think you'll have to worry about any fee if you've upgraded to Windows 10, it will continue getting patches and new features rolled out to it without paying a dime. However there will be a point when they stop supporting what will eventually be your old (long out of warranty hardware) and at that point you'll be forced to buy new hardware with new windows 10 on it to get supported again and / or to obtain the new features being rolled out. I suspect native drivers will start to get thin in years to come and this will segue into a very Apple-like strategy where new revs of iOS end up driving new hardware purchases because the old iPads and iPods can't even be upgraded to the new OS, so if you want that shiny new 'app' that only runs on the latest iOS time to pay up. Microsoft knows what they're doing, they don't need any money from these devices they've rolled out Win10 to, they'll get the money eventually, more importantly you're not running iOS, that alone is a strategic win at this point.
What is an iOS? OS is operating system, I'm guessing?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #9
Ocala Mike

I think he means OS X, the MAC (Apple supported) OS.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
W7 is done now, isn't it?
Supported til 01/20
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: