Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
Minniethemoocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I'm just not convinced any owners who wasn't already a billionaire would put up the money. I think the Middle Eastern royalty and Coolmore might but I don't see people who own horses like Liam's Map (who ducked the Classic) and California Chrome or even Runhappy would put up the money.

The best story lines in the sport generally are around either modest horses or modest owners. If you exclude all of them and this is well bred horses owned by billionaires racing for millions they don't need I think it becomes uncompelling...

How about this for a better idea...

A mile and a quarter invitational that in even years is dirt odd turf. The purse is a revenue share. Owners go partners with the track like sports leagues and players. You divide invitations reasonably among horses in Europe, N.A., Asia and Oceania.

You figure the derby has a $130 million bet on it. Let's say you can get $120 million through global simulcasting and marketing. At 18% takeout you get $23 million. More than enough to fund a $10-12 million winner take all purse.

If you can get the handle on it up to $150, $200, $250 million you can make a truly insane purse. If can get people in Hong Kong and Australia to bet on the race you can get a massive purse.

I favor your proposal to Frank's. I dislike that racing has a season. Why can't the best older sprinter in December compete for a blockbuster purse? Breed is very fragile, always has been, and getting worse. So, why not reward horses that peak anytime, not just on the right day. Champions are often determined by survival of the fittest. Look how many weak Derby winners there have been. Surely, not the equal of Ghostzapper. Yet, he ran for inferior purses because of how often he was running at a time of the year with no blockbuster purses, and purse limitations for distances he was running.
Minniethemoocher is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #17
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniethemoocher
I favor your proposal to Frank's. I dislike that racing has a season. Why can't the best older sprinter in December compete for a blockbuster purse? Breed is very fragile, always has been, and getting worse. So, why not reward horses that peak anytime, not just on the right day. Champions are often determined by survival of the fittest. Look how many weak Derby winners there have been. Surely, not the equal of Ghostzapper. Yet, he ran for inferior purses because of how often he was running at a time of the year with no blockbuster purses, and purse limitations for distances he was running.
That part in Ecclesiastes?

You know. The one that says,

"to everything there is a season. And a time to every purpose"

..etc, etc.

Went right over your head didn't it, honey?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #18
Minniethemoocher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
That part in Ecclesiastes?

You know. The one that says,

"to everything there is a season. And a time to every purpose"

..etc, etc.

Went right over your head didn't it, honey?
Ever consider the alternative? As bad as racing is I would not cling to 2000 year old quotes as justification. This sport needs a whole lot of new ideas. Trying some won't hurt a thing.
Minniethemoocher is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniethemoocher
Ever consider the alternative? As bad as racing is I would not cling to 2000 year old quotes as justification. This sport needs a whole lot of new ideas. Trying some won't hurt a thing.
I didn't mean to offend. I was teasing with you.

Welcome to Pace Advantage, enjoy your time here.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
One thing you know about Franks 'good ideas' is that they won't be anything that benefits the customer or horseplayer, they're just ideas to put more money in the pockets of the horsemen
Isn't the owner the one putting up the money? I'm sure that will benefit everyone associated with the game. Is the idea a world changing event, no but at least he still is trying to do something that is different.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Mandrake
Veteran

Quit feeding the fat. Have 12 owners put up 100 gees each, pick 4 or 5 charities, and run a race and give it to the charities 1 through 5.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
Isn't the owner the one putting up the money? I'm sure that will benefit everyone associated with the game. Is the idea a world changing event, no but at least he still is trying to do something that is different.
My point was about his idea being something owner/horseman related. it wasn't a 'good idea' that in any way helps the customer.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #23
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

I remember many were very skeptical when FS bought GP and promised to make it into a world racing icon..Well you do have to admit,He has the handle,He has done nothing but spend money on his track and backside that is really nice on the barns and the annexes he has put up.He also has plenty of horses stabled all around South Florida.I think if he has a vision like this,He is looking at the handle something like this could bring and also give some lucky owner the biggest purse payoff .I think it would be very interesting to say the least!
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #24
Mandrake
Veteran

I think it would get more negative press than positive. Fat cats getting fatter. True largess.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #25
iceknight

Quote:
One thing you know about Franks 'good ideas' is that they won't be anything that benefits the customer or horseplayer, they're just ideas to put more money in the pockets of the horsemen
One of the rare occasions where I agree with a portion of what SRU is talking about.

It does nt mean too much for the horseplayer. I don't know who the word "customer' refers to in this industry.

What I can't agree with is this: "more money in the pockets of horsemen" - these horsemen are the top 0.1% of horsemen. So it really does nt benefit any of the general horsemen either. Not sure how this is different from the Dubai worldcup except that FS isnt even putting up the money himself. He is being a smart businessman as usual and there is nothing wrong with that! I think he might have a few young Ghostzappers in his stable. Maybe that's why he is floating this idea?
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2016, 11:51 PM   #26
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
I remember many were very skeptical when FS bought GP and promised to make it into a world racing icon..Well you do have to admit,He has the handle,He has done nothing but spend money on his track and backside that is really nice on the barns and the annexes he has put up.He also has plenty of horses stabled all around South Florida.I think if he has a vision like this,He is looking at the handle something like this could bring and also give some lucky owner the biggest purse payoff .I think it would be very interesting to say the least!
Frank has burned a ton of money and failed in almost everything he's tried except killing Calder---that he has done. He might be providing money to you as a trainer, and if so that's great, you deserve it, but he's got to be a huge money loser on his racing investments.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:19 AM   #27
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
One of the rare occasions where I agree with a portion of what SRU is talking about.

It does nt mean too much for the horseplayer. I don't know who the word "customer' refers to in this industry.

What I can't agree with is this: "more money in the pockets of horsemen" - these horsemen are the top 0.1% of horsemen. So it really does nt benefit any of the general horsemen either. Not sure how this is different from the Dubai worldcup except that FS isnt even putting up the money himself. He is being a smart businessman as usual and there is nothing wrong with that! I think he might have a few young Ghostzappers in his stable. Maybe that's why he is floating this idea?
This is the thinking of most bigwigs in racing, it's not just Frank, they think if they somehow pump millions (and billions of slot money) and give every cent of it to owners that the suckers will raise their wagers because of 'big races' thats how they think. With the billions of slots money pumped Into the game over the last decade oe so where did it all go? 0 dollars out of billions went to the customer and all the other dollars were either piddled away by irresponsible owners or taken completely out of circulation by jockeys and trainers. Those new cars that the high profile trainers and jocks are driving came from money they earned in the game and took out of circulation. And to think with all those billions floating around, not one track, especially Frank Stronach, has given even one customer 25 cents off a price of coffee.

Last edited by Stillriledup; 01-15-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #28
thespaah

Quote:
The horsemens income comes directly out of bettors pockets.
No. It doesn't....The owners write the checks.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2016, 12:36 AM   #29
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
It's a pipedream, if there is a horse out the like AP or Shared Belief you think there are 12 other owners who are going to fork over that amount to race against a superhorse and lose, no way.
The idea is to get up to 12 super horses entered. IN a perfect world it would be a 12 way dead heat.
Of course the race would be handicapped by weight in allowance conditions.
How about this..
A handicap for 4 year olds and older. Winners of graded sweepstakes preferred. In the event that less than 12 graded stakes winners pass the entry box, non winners of a graded sweepstakes will be permitted to start with an additional $50,000 payment to be added to the purse.
Weight. 126 lbs. 4 year olds allowed 2 lbs.
Non winners of a grade 1 sweepstakes since July 1st 2015 allowed 3 lbs. Of such a race in 2015 allowed 5 lbs. Non winners of two Grade 2 or grade 3 sweepstakes in 2015 allowed 7 lbs.
I think that is more than fair. So the winners of grade ones which theoretically would be the defacto "super horse" could concede up to 7lbs to a horse that had at least one graded(grade 2 or grade 3) stakes win in 2015.
Flame away folks.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply