Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Flysofree
Veteran

Gmail: How to ask for a "read receipt"?

I'm new to Gmail, because I am going to be leaving at some point Yahoo email and possibly Cox (Windows Live) later.

Is there a box to check somewhere when send an email asking for a read receipt? I don't see it readily available and clicked on all the little icons at the bottom of the email..Didn't see it there.
Thanks
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
vegasone

https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&e...l+read+receipt

Google does answer all your gmail questions
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone
https://www.google.com/?gfe_rd=ssl&e...l+read+receipt

Google does answer all your gmail questions
Thanks... This is what I just read on their website: "Read Receipts are available only on Google apps for Work, Education and Government customers. They are not available in personal Gmail accounts. Upgrade now".
That does it for me.

LOL... I'm going to look at something called Thunderbird. It was recommended by a couple of threads that I read.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:51 AM   #4
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
Thanks... This is what I just read on their website: "Read Receipts are available only on Google apps for Work, Education and Government customers. They are not available in personal Gmail accounts. Upgrade now".
That does it for me.

LOL... I'm going to look at something called Thunderbird. It was recommended by a couple of threads that I read.
Keep in mind that just because you send an email with a "read receipt" or "return receipt" that doesn't mean that you will know absolutely if someone has/hasn't read your message. The person receiving your email could just read the body text of the message and there would be no way for you to know.

Thunderbird is Mozilla's (the developers of Firefox) email reading app. It is a big competitor to Outlook, and it can "connect" to your gmail account. It has a "return-receipt" function. However, after many years of growth and support, it appears that Mozilla will soon halt in-house development of Thunderbird.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper
Keep in mind that just because you send an email with a "read receipt" or "return receipt" that doesn't mean that you will know absolutely if someone has/hasn't read your message. The person receiving your email could just read the body text of the message and there would be no way for you to know.

Thunderbird is Mozilla's (the developers of Firefox) email reading app. It is a big competitor to Outlook, and it can "connect" to your gmail account. It has a "return-receipt" function. However, after many years of growth and support, it appears that Mozilla will soon halt in-house development of Thunderbird.
I fully understand they may or may not have actually read it. However, with a read receipt you have proof they got it.
The way I see it it is the same as sending letter certified mail,return receipt requested. They may not read it, but you have proof they got it. And know what you're going to say next about that.... But at the very least you have done your part to the best of your ability legally... Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
tupper

Quote:
I fully understand they may or may not have actually read it. However, with a read receipt you have proof they got it.
No. It is very possible that you won't have proof nor any indication that they got it. That is what I am trying tell you.

If they just read the body text, you will have no way of knowing whether or not the receiving party got the message nor opened it.

Quote:
The way I see it it is the same as sending letter certified mail,return receipt requested. They may not read it, but you have proof they got it.
Nope. It's not the same as certified mail with return receipt requested.

Unless the receiving party opens the mail with HTML parsing engaged (not smart) or unless they click on a link or on the return receipt button, you will have no way of knowing whether or not they received the email (unless of course they tell you that they have received it).

Last edited by tupper; 01-06-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
No. It is very possible that you won't have proof nor any indication that they got it. That is what I am trying tell you.

If they just read the body text, you will have no way of knowing whether or not the receiving party got the message nor opened it.

Nope. It's not the same as certified mail with return receipt requested.

Unless the receiving party opens the mail with HTML parsing engaged (not smart) or unless they click on a link or on the return receipt button, you will have no way of knowing whether or not they received the email (unless of course they tell you that they have received it).
Correct me if I am wrong...But on certified mail, you are NOT required to sign that you received it..You could refuse delivery...at least I think that's right...Now if it's served by law enforcement that's different.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
tupper

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong...But on certified mail, you are NOT required to sign that you received it..You could refuse delivery...at least I think that's right...Now if it's served by law enforcement that's different.
There are different types/grades of certified mail. You brought up the "return receipt" type of certified mail (no signature required) as an analogy to email. Getting into the various types of certified mail and whether or not one has to sign for any of the types seems rather irrelevant to this discussion regarding email.

The point is that, if you send an email with return receipt request and/or with embedded tracking links, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to tell if the receiving party received and/or read your email -- even if they actually opened the email and read the body text.

Got it?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
There are different types/grades of certified mail. You brought up the "return receipt" type of certified mail (no signature required) as an analogy to email. Getting into the various types of certified mail and whether or not one has to sign for any of the types seems rather irrelevant to this discussion regarding email.

The point is that, if you send an email with return receipt request and/or with embedded tracking links, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will be able to tell if the receiving party received and/or read your email -- even if they actually opened the email and read the body text.

Got it?
Whenever someone has sent ME an email asking to click the receipt that I have received the email I (ME PERSONALLY) have clicked it. Yes I know some many few whatever number of people won't do that. I do! If they don't respond, I can't do anything about it and That's life. The point is I ASKED for a read receipt. I did all I could do. That's my point .
Old 01-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Whenever someone has sent ME an email asking to click the receipt that I have received the email I (ME PERSONALLY) have clicked it. Yes I know some many few whatever number of people won't do that. I do! If they don't respond, I can't do anything about it and That's life. The point is I ASKED for a read receipt. I did all I could do. That's my point .
I don't usually use the receipt option but if you're concerned whether the recipient has received your email, before sending the important part of the email, why don't you first ask if they would like to receive it. If they respond affirmative, re-send the data with their reply and you would have their acknowledgment?

Are we discussing business emails or personal?

For personal emails, I usually send another a few days later asking if they received the first if there has been no response from the first.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
I don't usually use the receipt option but if you're concerned whether the recipient has received your email, before sending the important part of the email, why don't you first ask if they would like to receive it. If they respond affirmative, re-send the data with their reply and you would have their acknowledgment?

Are we discussing business emails or personal?

For personal emails, I usually send another a few days later asking if they received the first if there has been no response from the first.
The emails that I'm referring to here are to management of an apartment complex. I have come to learn today, that they got them (verbally) and they are "on top of the issue". Yeah right... They asked a neighbor of mine if she had sent emails as they couldn't find them... It was about the same issue and these are very senior folks that like me, not very computer knowledgeable. They (in the neighbor's case could not be printed out as she stated she used a public computer.) management may have know this.. In my case I could print the emails, which is a hassle..But they claim they got mine. It is a complicated issue. The same company that I am referring to when I tried to move in here and was applying by email would ALWAYS REQUESTA READ RECEIPT from me. Yet, they don't see fit to acknowledge my emails unless I personally go to a few people and ask.. I thought if I had the READ RECEIPT attached "it MIGHT" end this issue.... It's quite a nerve wracking experience and I may eventually seek legal help...
Thanks for all the replies.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: