Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

View Poll Results: If you could only use one, which one would you choose?
Elimination rules(not to include pace) 24 47.06%
Pace 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. This poll is closed

Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Capper Al

Elimination rules vs Pace figs

Fortunately no one has to choose between elimination rules and pace figs. Both have their place and are valuable tools in a handicapper's arsenal. But if one had to choose between the two, what would you choose? Remember now- you still have class, speed and connection data whichever way you choose. But in this case, any elimination rule cannot include pace. I would choose elimination rules.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Last edited by Capper Al; 12-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
mrroyboy

I choose elimination rules too.
mrroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Fortunately no one has to choose between elimination rules and pace figs. Both have their place and are valuable tools in a handicapper's arsenal. But if one had to choose between the two, what would you choose? Remember now- you still have class, speed and connection data whichever way you choose. But in this case, any elimination rule cannot include pace. I would choose elimination rules.
Elimination rules are totally USELESS to me...and I laugh whenever I see these simplistic rules compared with the pace figures in terms of "handicapping effectiveness". The proper use of pace figures can negate the need for "elimination rules"...but the use of elimination rules can never replace the need for accurate pace figures...especially in sprints.

For many years, I have been reading that the handicapper should use "pace handicapping" on only the "contenders" of today's race...for fear that rating the NON-CONTENDERS may lead to a distorted pace picture of the race. It's been more than 30 years...and I still don't know what that means.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Sinner369

Al can you..............???

Quote:
Al can you gave examples of elimination rules so as to clarify what exactly do you mean?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner369
Al can you gave examples of elimination rules so as to clarify what exactly do you mean?
Without giving away the farm, something like hasn't raced in over 180 days.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Elimination rules are totally USELESS to me...and I laugh whenever I see these simplistic rules compared with the pace figures in terms of "handicapping effectiveness". The proper use of pace figures can negate the need for "elimination rules"...but the use of elimination rules can never replace the need for accurate pace figures...especially in sprints.

For many years, I have been reading that the handicapper should use "pace handicapping" on only the "contenders" of today's race...for fear that rating the NON-CONTENDERS may lead to a distorted pace picture of the race. It's been more than 30 years...and I still don't know what that means.
This is an interesting observation after I made a thread about my 13 weekend winning streak using only pace figures. But I still stand with elimination rules and go with narrow down the contenders first. Eliminations worked better over the long run.

Anatole France

Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
This is an interesting observation after I made a thread about my 13 weekend winning streak using only pace figures. But I still stand with elimination rules and go with narrow down the contenders first. Eliminations worked better over the long run.
What sort of "elimination rules"? Stuff like..."throw out any horse that hasn't raced in 30 days"...or, "eliminate any horse that hasn't finished at least in the money in its last three races"?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
Without giving away the farm, something like hasn't raced in over 180 days.
How many "eliminations" does this rule get you?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
Capper Al

Quote:
How many "eliminations" does this rule get you?
I'm not qualifying on how one uses elimination rules or uses pace. I'm just asking what is more important in their handicapping.

Anatole France

Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
I'm not qualifying on how one uses elimination rules or uses pace. I'm just asking what is more important in their handicapping.
Al...do you think that the elimination rules and the pace figures perform the same handicapping function? Why did you pick the PACE figures to compare with the elimination rules in this thread?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

In my opinion, elimination rules don't work. All they do is exclude potential winners. With rare exception, every horse has some chance to win. It is just a matter of if they offer value or not.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #12
cutchemist42

Any ML above 20/1 (even 15/1 really, can tell within 10 seconds if I skip the 15/1) has resulted in quick eliminations without ever regretting it.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
In my opinion, elimination rules don't work. All they do is exclude potential winners. With rare exception, every horse has some chance to win. It is just a matter of if they offer value or not.
I don't even know why the elimination rules are still around. They are a relic from a different, less sophisticated age. In the pencil-and-paper age...it made sense to lighten the handicapping workload by eliminating certain horses at the very start of the handicapping process. Exotics betting was a rarity then...and no real harm could be done by excluding the worst horses in the race from the very beginning.

But now the horseplayer is using advanced tools...and handicapping is no longer a time-consuming chore. Winning horseplayers have testified that they can handicap races effectively in mere SECONDS. And the exotics have evolved to a point where even the 4th-place finisher of a race has become a serious handicapping concern. What purpose do the elimination rules serve in today's "computer age"?
Old 12-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Capper Al

Quote:
Al...do you think that the elimination rules and the pace figures perform the same handicapping function? Why did you pick the PACE figures to compare with the elimination rules in this thread?
Just happens to be where I'm at in my coding.

Anatole France

Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #15
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I demand two hits or more to make a horse not to win(NTW). I found using any one rule doesn't work.

Anatole France