Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
forced89

Does This Avoid Unwanted Download of Windows10

Does the program GWX Control Panel found at http://www.ultimateoutsider.com really stop unwanted download of Windows10?

Last edited by forced89; 12-07-2015 at 05:51 PM.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Appears to work. Check out some more details here:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/298...-or-81-pc.html

There must be some relatively easy setting to use to prevent the upgrade - as I have the "bomb" blob of 6 GB on my work laptop, but I'm never prompted to install it.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Flysofree
Veteran

I don't think anyone is forced to download windows 10. There is one update number that I don't download, but even that one only tells you that you are able to download windows 10. I just uncheck it when the other updates are available.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysofree
I don't think anyone is forced to download windows 10. There is one update number that I don't download, but even that one only tells you that you are able to download windows 10. I just uncheck it when the other updates are available.
If you have automatic updates turned on with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 update is downloaded and on your system. You're still prompted before upgrading.

But the outcry is about using up 5-6 GB of bandwidth and disk space to prepare for an upgrade you may never elect to do.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
If you have automatic updates turned on with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 update is downloaded and on your system. You're still prompted before upgrading.

But the outcry is about using up 5-6 GB of bandwidth and disk space to prepare for an upgrade you may never elect to do.
Thanks for that information. I do know that the update with this number STOPS the update for me. KB3035583.
With that one unchecked, I don't get the messages about Windows 10. I did not know there were others..
Old 12-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Thanks for that information. I do know that the update with this number STOPS the update for me. KB3035583.
With that one unchecked, I don't get the messages about Windows 10. I did not know there were others..
I'm not sure about the update numbers or being prompted for Windows 10, because my work laptop is semi-controlled by our PC support group. So, I never saw the messages. But what I can tell you is that there's a folder now under C:\$Windows.~BT which contains the Windows 10 upgrade package. It's 3.77 GB in size on my machine, and our PC support had to come out and warn NOT to run the setup/install and upgrade to Windows 10, as many of the business apps don't work on it yet.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #7
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure about the update numbers or being prompted for Windows 10, because my work laptop is semi-controlled by our PC support group. So, I never saw the messages. But what I can tell you is that there's a folder now under C:\$Windows.~BT which contains the Windows 10 upgrade package. It's 3.77 GB in size on my machine, and our PC support had to come out and warn NOT to run the setup/install and upgrade to Windows 10, as many of the business apps don't work on it yet.
Ok, learning something here. This is just my desktop computer not hooked up to anything but my modem and the cable.

Just as a side note, a tech told me to do the free download in June of 2016 as it will be better at that time. Have you heard such?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Ok, learning something here. This is just my desktop computer not hooked up to anything but my modem and the cable.

Just as a side note, a tech told me to do the free download in June of 2016 as it will be better at that time. Have you heard such?
I don't follow the Windows platform that closely, but it's best practice to stay away from "bleeding edge" (new) software, as it becomes more stable over time. I would hope by June and close to a year in general release that Windows 10 would be pretty stable.

What I can tell you is that from personal experience I'm suffering. The latest update hosed up my partition, or at least Windows 10 installed some updates while rebooting, and now I can't boot it back up. I'll troubleshoot that when I get some free time, but not being able to turn off automatic updates is a problem for me. Before I could perform a system backup prior to applying updates to make sure I had the latest version of my o/s available for restore in case things went south. Part of my problem may be related to running Windows 10 on very new hardware as well as in dual bootable mode, but it's discouraging the level of testing the M$ does may not be very high. Their track record in this area is hardly stellar.

Another issue I ran into today is that an automatic update to IE version 11 hosed up the interface (web gui) for an IBM application I support. <sigh> This becomes more problematic with an o/s that updates willy nilly, and with browser version and compatibility so touchy.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #9
MJC922

Quote:
I don't follow the Windows platform that closely, but it's best practice to stay away from "bleeding edge" (new) software, as it becomes more stable over time. I would hope by June and close to a year in general release that Windows 10 would be pretty stable.

What I can tell you is that from personal experience I'm suffering. The latest update hosed up my partition, or at least Windows 10 installed some updates while rebooting, and now I can't boot it back up. I'll troubleshoot that when I get some free time, but not being able to turn off automatic updates is a problem for me. Before I could perform a system backup prior to applying updates to make sure I had the latest version of my o/s available for restore in case things went south. Part of my problem may be related to running Windows 10 on very new hardware as well as in dual bootable mode, but it's discouraging the level of testing the M$ does may not be very high. Their track record in this area is hardly stellar.

Another issue I ran into today is that an automatic update to IE version 11 hosed up the interface (web gui) for an IBM application I support. <sigh> This becomes more problematic with an o/s that updates willy nilly, and with browser version and compatibility so touchy.
Some of your clients may prefer the LTSB edition of 10. You also might try adding your site in IE11 to compatibility mode.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 AM   #10
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922
Some of your clients may prefer the LTSB edition of 10. You also might try adding your site in IE11 to compatibility mode.
Not a bad idea, but what I often see is that the desktop support folks don't survey the end users very well, and just plop out the defaults on their workstations. Next time I run into this problem though, I'll ask if LTSB is an option. My workaround for the moment was to use Chrome instead of IE.

We have a similar problem with other apps and management tools - like certificate expirations and incompatible java versions not playing well on old switches that have a built in server for a GUI. The end result is having to keep 3, 4 or more versions of browsers on a workstation or server to access everything properly in the environment.

Automatic updates without an option to turn it off isn't going to make life any easier in these cases.....
Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
MJC922

Quote:
Not a bad idea, but what I often see is that the desktop support folks don't survey the end users very well, and just plop out the defaults on their workstations. Next time I run into this problem though, I'll ask if LTSB is an option. My workaround for the moment was to use Chrome instead of IE.

We have a similar problem with other apps and management tools - like certificate expirations and incompatible java versions not playing well on old switches that have a built in server for a GUI. The end result is having to keep 3, 4 or more versions of browsers on a workstation or server to access everything properly in the environment.

Automatic updates without an option to turn it off isn't going to make life any easier in these cases.....
Anything with a browser based UI is prone to giving headaches as time goes on. A lot can be avoided by using a combination of things, so for one as I said using IE compatibility view (you can press F12 and select the version of IE you want to render with) the next thing (actually the first thing I do) is adding the site to the Trusted Sites zone. That's always a good idea for the web gui, Internet Options>Security>Trusted Sites> click the sites button add the URL or IP address, then set the slider to low or medium low, if it's a trusted site then it makes sense to run the slider low or at least medium-low, I wouldn't leave it at medium it defeats the purpose of being trusted. This is usually enough. Also for certificates there are some things you can uncheck in Internet Options>Advanced. You might uncheck certificate revocation etc... typically a combination of the above will get you where you need to be with any web front end. The problem you might run into with changing any of this is permissions, sys admins control a lot of these settings via group policy on a lot of active directory domains so your end user may not even be allowed to change them in some cases or will have to reach out to their local IT team. I hear you about LTSB, it's going to be an option for bigger enterprises with volume license agreements etc but I honestly don't expect we'll run into it very much quite frankly.

One final thing people might want to do, go into the About Internet Explorer section (of all places) it has a checkmark placed by default to auto update IE to newer versions. It's a good idea to uncheck that.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-18-2015 at 06:26 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: