Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Anyone You Might Know Program Methods to Software?

I'm looking for a trustworthy programmer, who is able to program a method I'd like converted. Should be rather simple, has to do with last 3 races, bris SR's, calls, positions, lengths behind/ahead of those 3 races, and date of last race (last must be w/in 30 days).
I've had a bid of appx $500...but don't know the guy...and he seemed a little shady, for some reason. Anyone that any board member can recommend is good enough for me. Hoping to spend around the $500 range...

My E-Mail: NorCalGreg@Usa.Com

Thanks
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 02:18 AM   #2
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Ray Baker might be able to do it in Excel. He goes by raybo here.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 02:57 AM   #3
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete
Ray Baker might be able to do it in Excel. He goes by raybo here.
I'm sure Mr Ray Baker is a decent guy, and darn fine programmer, Pete. Unfortunately, I believe I'm on his ignore list, darnit.

Thanks, anyway
Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
upthecreek

Joe Zambuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I'm looking for a trustworthy programmer, who is able to program a method I'd like converted. Should be rather simple, has to do with last 3 races, bris SR's, calls, positions, lengths behind/ahead of those 3 races, and date of last race (last must be w/in 30 days).
I've had a bid of appx $500...but don't know the guy...and he seemed a little shady, for some reason. Anyone that any board member can recommend is good enough for me. Hoping to spend around the $500 range...

My E-Mail: NorCalGreg@Usa.Com

Thanks
I know Joe Zambuto does custom programming:
http://www.beatthepublic.com/Custom%20.htm
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
mikesal57
Veteran

Do you anything about Excel?
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I'm sure Mr Ray Baker is a decent guy, and darn fine programmer, Pete. Unfortunately, I believe I'm on his ignore list, darnit.

Thanks, anyway
LOL, why would you think you're on my ignore list? There's only a couple of people who are on that list, and all are no longer posting.

From what you mentioned in your OP, the work, in Excel, would be minimal, and no where near $500. if you don't have Excel I can even help with that. PM or email me.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
Do you anything about Excel?
I could add his stuff to the free "AllData J1" workbook from the sound of it. He would be able to import data files, process that data, produce his display, etc., all completely automated.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Examples of what is possible in Excel:

Attached Images
File Type: png 1 - J1 Main sheet.png (18.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: png 2 - J1 AllData sheet.png (13.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png 3 - J1 AllData sheet PPs.png (32.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: png 4 - J1 Summaries sheet big picture.png (22.7 KB, 78 views)

Old 11-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
mikesal57
Veteran

I have added so much to your Alldata its a god sent...lol
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57
I have added so much to your Alldata its a god sent...lol
Thanks! Yeah, once you get familiar with Excel, and the workbook, you can create anything you want, and if you can't, an email will usually get you going.

That was my original goal for the "AllData Project", to enable non-programmers to create their own racing programs. All the heavy lifting is already done for you in the workbook, the customizations are easy in Excel.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #11
Capper Al

Have fun Ray. This sounds right up your alley.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Have fun Ray. This sounds right up your alley.
Yeah, it sounds like something that can be done in a few minutes. All the data is already there, just a case of referencing that data, writing some rules formulas, maybe some calculations, and creating the actual final display. No biggie.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Greybase

Quote:
I'm looking for a trustworthy programmer, who is able to program a method I'd like converted. Should be rather simple, has to do with last 3 races, bris SR's, calls, positions, lengths behind/ahead of those 3 races, and date of last race (last must be w/in 30 days) ...
Sounds like mainly you're parsing and re-formatting text, with a few simple calculations. What is your Input/ Output here? BRIS single file format? Are you looking for a GUI or just a command line utility? Or you're doing this entirely in Excel?

Anyone who works in Visual Studio should be able to knock this out in VB or C#. I was employed for years as programmer doing this kind of stuff. But I've never gone out seeking work as a freelancer. You might toss this out for bid on Slashdot or ELance dot com? Yes a horse player would know the format, but any VB developer could give you a time & cost estimate if you could supply a detailed job description? Get the source code as I've found these projects tend to expand, a month later you'll want to add another feature good luck!

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/ar...er-or-Designer
Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybase
Sounds like mainly you're parsing and re-formatting text, with a few simple calculations. What is your Input/ Output here? BRIS single file format? Are you looking for a GUI or just a command line utility? Or you're doing this entirely in Excel?

Anyone who works in Visual Studio should be able to knock this out in VB or C#. I was employed for years as programmer doing this kind of stuff. But I've never gone out seeking work as a freelancer. You might toss this out for bid on Slashdot or ELance dot com? Yes a horse player would know the format, but any VB developer could give you a time & cost estimate if you could supply a detailed job description? Get the source code as I've found these projects tend to expand, a month later you'll want to add another feature good luck!

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/ar...er-or-Designer
That's true. Over time, almost certainly, you will want to make changes. That's the beauty of Excel, making changes, adding, recalculating, deleting items, reformatting, etc., is extremely simple, and no coding ability is needed unless you are using macros for automation.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #15
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
That's true. Over time, almost certainly, you will want to make changes. That's the beauty of Excel, making changes, adding, recalculating, deleting items, reformatting, etc., is extremely simple, and no coding ability is needed unless you are using macros for automation.
Thank you Mike, Creek, Greybase, Pete for your help. And raybo, my apologies to you for my boorish behavior. Never ocurred to me you just never had anything to say to me--could only be one reason, you simply have me on ignore!
Anyway, glad we cleared that up. I actually heard from a board member who was kind enough to offer his services, so will be taking him up on that.
Thank you for your generous offer, ray

-NCG