Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 AM   #1
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

Turf clubs....Philly

What location is the most desirable...atmosphere...in general ??
Old 10-02-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
ManU918

They all suck so just go to the one that is closest to you.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
They all suck so just go to the one that is closest to you.
Yeah, what he said. The only one I frequented was NorthEast, and that was only out of convenience to where I worked at the time. It's small, the bartenders and tellers can be miserable at times. While I felt safe, I get the feeling the area can be a bit shady after dark.

I was only there twice, and its been a while, but the one in Concordville seemed to be the best Turf Club, IMO.

Just go to the nearest one, or head to the Parx Track.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #4
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racey
What location is the most desirable...atmosphere...in general ??
not been to the turf clubs in 1 year spent way too much time in the T-clubs... lol they're all right.

the craziest is south philly. some real characters Joe Pesci types there. friday nights and sunday eagle's games the place is a zoo.
I park, play horses , drink beer, then walk to the game. a good deal.

center city is a dump, but you can take the subway there. very small

valley forge - is the best now

concordvile - is a ghost town but there's a hooters and steak house within walking distance

I prefer Penn National OTB in York,Reading

Last edited by ebcorde; 10-02-2015 at 04:30 AM.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #5
ebcorde
Veteran

BTW:

Concordville dried up because Chester Harness opened . They have a large simulcast. and the live races

BTW: Eagles fan, worked 15 minutes from Concordville and live 15 min from Valley Forge (that's my joggin trail) . that's how I frequent these places

Last edited by ebcorde; 10-02-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
bks

Disagree with the comment abut the NE turf club. It's pretty large, and has a downstairs area (if it's still open) that's quiet and easy to use for study.

Oaks, PA is a nicer facility, and remember there's now a South Jersey option in Glassboro.

The CC turf club is very small and congested. Beautiful when it opened, it's now a dingy, poorly lit hole. It's a proto-mental institution, basically. Quite interesting from a sociological perspective, but not from a comfort/information availability perspective.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

My favorite OTB in the area is Harrah's Philadelphia racino, on the Delaware river in Chester (it originally was called Harrah’s Chester, but changed it after a couple years because no one in the country knew where Chester, PA was.)

The OTB used to include the entire first floor. After a few years they cut it in half to make way for more poker tables. I haven’t been there in a couple years, and they might have cut the OTB down even more.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
My favorite OTB in the area is Harrah's Philadelphia racino, on the Delaware river in Chester (it originally was called Harrah’s Chester, but changed it after a couple years because no one in the country knew where Chester, PA was.)

The OTB used to include the entire first floor. After a few years they cut it in half to make way for more poker tables. I haven’t been there in a couple years, and they might have cut the OTB down even more.
Was there last week. The OTB portion still has the same amount of space.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks
Disagree with the comment abut the NE turf club. It's pretty large, and has a downstairs area (if it's still open) that's quiet and easy to use for study.

Oaks, PA is a nicer facility, and remember there's now a South Jersey option in Glassboro.

The CC turf club is very small and congested. Beautiful when it opened, it's now a dingy, poorly lit hole. It's a proto-mental institution, basically. Quite interesting from a sociological perspective, but not from a comfort/information availability perspective.
Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its people in their 60's who don't know the difference from Hanson and a grey horse running in a MC5000.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #10
NJ Stinks

Racey, I like the atmosphere at the South Philly location. And I go to the one in the Northeast too but it's not exactly lively there anymore. Last time I was there it was a Tuesday night. I think 6 of us closed the place. I'm one of those old men Manu was talking about except I like to think I know what I'm doing. Anyway, I feel safe enough leaving those OTB's at night.

But to be completely forthright, I don't go to OTB's much anymore because I get tired of going outside to smoke. I imagine the smoking bans are killing these OTB's and yea, that's sort of ironic.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

thanks

appreciate the insight.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
ebcorde
Veteran

[QUOTE=ManU918]Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its p.

lol, I probably know you or seen you for sure. I stopped attending because 3 guys I hung with at Del park died or moved to Florida. Think about what the T Club was in the 90's., too much sitting. how many of those guys died off?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
ManU918

[QUOTE=ebcorde]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
Oaks, PA is the one I go to the most and its the nicest because there aren't homeless people walking around in that area. You go to any of the ones in Philly its 35% bums, 35% illegals, 15% senior citizens and 15% degenerates. I'm usually the youngest person at the Oaks location by 30 years because the majority of the time its p.

lol, I probably know you or seen you for sure. I stopped attending because 3 guys I hung with at Del park died or moved to Florida. Think about what the T Club was in the 90's., too much sitting. how many of those guys died off?
I'm confused....do you go to Del Park or the Oaks, Pa Turf Club?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
But to be completely forthright, I don't go to OTB's much anymore because I get tired of going outside to smoke. I imagine the smoking bans are killing these OTB's and yea, that's sort of ironic.
You can smoke at the one in Oaks.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #15
ebcorde
Veteran

[QUOTE=ManU918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde

I'm confused....do you go to Del Park or the Oaks, Pa Turf Club?
Both. I meant I stopped going to the track and the otb's for over a year now.
TVG,HRTV,Twinspires sit at home, watch on TV or the internet, save gas, mileage , and money on food.

At Valley forge , I used to sit on the back row next to the bathrooms with 3 TV's positioned. . boy, Back in the 90's it was packed on both sides. I have not been there for a while.

Last edited by ebcorde; 10-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.