Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #46
Pick 'em Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Filtering through pace ideologies and selecting their individual strengths. Giles ranks on top for final application. BRIS methods as listed in their library are somewhat useful. Pace makes the race has been superseded by time. Got to come up with a working scenario. Quirin and Ainslie thoughts are always present. Whatever I decide will be a secret and an experiment.

The formula is actually developed on the fly. It's a different scenario than just take this formula and code. You have to speculate what might work.
Pick 'em Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #47
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick 'em Charlie
The formula is actually developed on the fly. It's a different scenario than just take this formula and code. You have to speculate what might work.
I agree, but isn't it necessary to have a benchmark already calculated in order to speculate what might happen in today's race? In other words, shouldn't you already know that a fast pace should happen due to a race having multiple early horses, with speed, in the field, before you speculate that the trainer and/or jockey of specific horses might not want to get involved in a pace battle? Those types of scenarios probably lose more races for good pace handicappers than any other factors, at least those players who try to visualize the way a race should run, and who will be advantaged or disadvantaged.

For me, most of my losses are due to races not running, early, the way I project them to run.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 10-01-2015 at 11:42 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #48
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
... For me, most of my losses are due to races not running, early, the way I project them to run.
You're lucky because all of my losses are due to races not running, the way I project them to run.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #49
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
You're lucky because all of my losses are due to races not running, the way I project them to run.
I qualified my statement by adding "early", not just not running the way projected. If the race doesn't run "early" the way you projected it would, then you will never know if your overall analysis of the race was right or wrong. However, a race can still run exactly how you thought it would "early" and you could still lose because some horses didn't finish the way you thought they would, or any of the numerous other factors other than "early". So, most, but certainly not all, of my losses are due to the early portion of those races not running as I thought they would.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #50
Capper Al

Raybo,

My speculation is on the pace formula itself. I now have it in my head, afterwards it will need testing.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #51
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
There's no bewilderment like seeing a closer set the early pace.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 AM   #52
Capper Al

Keeneland is back. Lots of longshots yesterday. I bought the horses oats.

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #53
Capper Al

Figuring out my pace. Right now Turn Time is in question.

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #54
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Figuring out my pace. Right now Turn Time is in question.
Turn time in seconds, feet per second, or pace figure? Are you having trouble figuring out what turn time is, how to calculate it, or how to use it?

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #55
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Turn time in seconds, feet per second, or pace figure? Are you having trouble figuring out what turn time is, how to calculate it, or how to use it?
I use pace figure turn time for now. I see it is can have value as a form indicator, but as a pace factor I'm not seeing it.

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #56
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I use pace figure turn time for now. I see it is can have value as a form indicator, but as a pace factor I'm not seeing it.
I agree that it shouldn't be used in isolation, but can be valuable when considering other pace related factors with it. Most handicappers don't use it at all, therefore, it is not as bet down as other more mainstream factors are.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #57
Capper Al

One of Scott's books was heavily into ability time, believe it was E2 + TT. Can't remember which book.

Anatole France

Old 10-05-2015, 07:30 PM   #58
Boulder

Turn time

Dick Mitchell also liked turn time added back to second call.
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #59
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

IMO, the degree of value for turn time is related to preferred or projected running style.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #60
thaskalos

I never bought into the "turn time" theory. One fraction is just as important as another...as far as I am concerned.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: