Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
thaskalos

"Horses To Watch" list...

I'm not sure if there ever was a "horses to watch" list started at this site, but in case there wasn't...then I'd like to start one right now. And I'd like to submit as my first entrant the filly Hibiscus Trail...who made her turf debut in yesterday's 5th race at Fort Erie. I liked her breeding, and the rest of the field was suspect...so I chanced a decent wager on her at odds of 16-1. And the troubled trip which she encountered may well be the reason why I am still awake at 5:15 in the morning.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I'm not sure if there ever was a "horses to watch" list started at this site, but in case there wasn't...then I'd like to start one right now. And I'd like to submit as my first entrant the filly Hibiscus Trail...who made her turf debut in yesterday's 5th race at Fort Erie. I liked her breeding, and the rest of the field was suspect...so I chanced a decent wager on her at odds of 16-1. And the troubled trip which she encountered may well be the reason why I am still awake at 5:15 in the morning.
I know the feeling Thaskalos...My sympathies.

Not to sound like a scrooge but why would you want to put all/most/some of your horses out there for everyone to see? Wouldn't that ruin value?

The few times I have mentioned a horse to follow up on here, I felt like I was taking away my own value by doing so (you never know who reads this and who might follow someone's information).

Especially if it's for a small track horse where a $100 win bet or 1 additional person hitting a pick 4/pick 5 makes a HUGE difference.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 09-02-2015 at 09:08 AM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
mikesal57
Veteran

With The DRF comment like this and finishing 2nd , what you think you'll get...maybe 8/5?

"HIBISCUS TRAIL was well back, closed
the gap on the far turn, checked at the top of the stretch and was second best"

Most of us watch "our" horses during a race...It takes a "trip handicapper" to watch the whole field and find that special horse for their next race..

If HT finished ,say 4th or worse, and had a bad trip without DRF seeing it ...then I'd load up

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ht=Stable+mail
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
on average how many stable mail horses do you have at a given time?
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 03:26 AM   #6
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

I've got one running Friday at finger lakes......coach berm, I think its the 6th race. He was going to win easy last time when the horse ducked in and lost the rider.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:34 AM   #7
lamboguy

most people put horses that either break bad, get bumped or blocked or the rider fell off the horse. everyone can see those things and from what i have learned about horses, they tend to repeat themselves. i like to watch horses that run on the inside and get post and class relief the next time out. i like to know the horse that covers this horse, if i percieve it to be a good horse i put extra strength in it.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 03:58 AM   #8
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis
I've got one running Friday at finger lakes......coach berm, I think its the 6th race. He was going to win easy last time when the horse ducked in and lost the rider.
I've all but given up on Finger Lakes....don't know if it's the local sharpies there or what, but I can't get any kind of price at all. Last few blinks of the tote tell the tale, but that happens everywhere. Good luck with your horse, app. I got one going Sat @ GGF in 2nd- Hallie Jae -one of my angle plays
GN all
-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by no breathalyzer
on average how many stable mail horses do you have at a given time?
None. I just use my memory.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
MutuelClerk

At your age?
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #11
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
At your age?
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I've all but given up on Finger Lakes....don't know if it's the local sharpies there or what, but I can't get any kind of price at all. Last few blinks of the tote tell the tale, but that happens everywhere. Good luck with your horse, app. I got one going Sat @ GGF in 2nd- Hallie Jae -one of my angle plays
GN all
-NCG
1 -HALLIE JAE 25.20 13.00 4.40
3 -KATIE'S NO LADY 5.60 3.00
6 -GRIEVOUS ANGEL 2.80

My own "Claimed for Nothing" angle. I've posted it before, with the rationale behind it....makes perfect sense and costs absolutely nothing to play it.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #13
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
6 -GRIEVOUS ANGEL 2.80

Well done!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
6 -GRIEVOUS ANGEL 2.80

My own "Claimed for Nothing" angle. I've posted it before, with the rationale behind it....makes perfect sense and costs absolutely nothing to play it.
Gigantic! Congrats!
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Adding:

Sherini

No LASIx for debut, moved like a router and was given a good practice race, should improve on this, moving well thru the wire with powerful strides.

(Race 6 Saratoga Sept 6th)