Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
You were absolutely right in calling his comment out and I support that.
One comment does not define an entire person though and that is a frequent mistake we fall into while judging others.
You are right about this. However, these things have to be called out and the true mark of that person is how they respond. Otherwise if we say nothing, we become complicit in the bad behavior.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #47
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
You are right about this. However, these things have to be called out and the true mark of that person is how they respond. Otherwise if we say nothing, we become complicit in the bad behavior.
Good job calling that out, Theres a lot of chauvinists in horse racing, women who work in the game need to be treated as equals, in fact, Maggie is as good or better than anyone else at what she does, good for you to send a message like that.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #48
horses4courses

Maggie

I have both applauded, and benefited from, this woman's
fine work for the NYRA broadcasts for some time now.

She has a gifted eye for spotting fitness and conformation,
and I always hope she's reporting - especially with maidens
and layoff horses.
Very often, too, her observations concern horses at a price.

I have told handicapper friends of mine about her.
Some listen, but most are creatures of habit.
Chauvinism plays a role, I believe.
If the paddock reports were coming from a man
it's likely that more men would take notice.
They are used to the "eye candy" factor at most tracks.
The direct result of marketing tactics in the world we live in.

That is to their loss, and my own personal gain, on occasion.
Maggie Wolfendale-Morley does a fantastic job.
I hope she continues in that role for a long time to come.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #49
iceknight

Quote:
Yes you are right.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #50
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Good job calling that out, Theres a lot of chauvinists in horse racing, women who work in the game need to be treated as equals, in fact, Maggie is as good or better than anyone else at what she does, good for you to send a message like that.
There are. And I think it very possible there are trainers that still to this day would not ride a female jockey. Nor would they hire a female assistant trainer.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #51
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
I have both applauded, and benefited from, this woman's
fine work for the NYRA broadcasts for some time now.

She has a gifted eye for spotting fitness and conformation,
and I always hope she's reporting - especially with maidens
and layoff horses.
Very often, too, her observations concern horses at a price.

I have told handicapper friends of mine about her.
Some listen, but most are creatures of habit.
Chauvinism plays a role, I believe.
If the paddock reports were coming from a man
it's likely that more men would take notice.
They are used to the "eye candy" factor at most tracks.
The direct result of marketing tactics in the world we live in.

That is to their loss, and my own personal gain, on occasion.
Maggie Wolfendale-Morley does a fantastic job.
I hope she continues in that role for a long time to come.
She brings to handicapping another element not usually prominent..
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #52
garyscpa

Quote:
It would be like saying someone is a reprehensible person and then saying, "but I'm not going to say why because I'm not that kind of person."
Old 09-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #53
garyscpa

Anyway, "This thread is worthless without pic's" is common message board lingo. I'm pretty sure Chad was merely complimenting Maggie in what he meant to be a humorous way, and some chose to take it wrong and blow it out of proportion.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #54
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
There are. And I think it very possible there are trainers that still to this day would not ride a female jockey. Nor would they hire a female assistant trainer.
No doubt.
Julie krone really changed a lot of perception about women in this game, not just for jocks but for any woman who is in the sport in any capacity. Men who just figured women can't be successful had their eyes opened a bit, and most recently Rosie carried the torch being a lot better than most men.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #55
ultracapper

"this thread is worthless without pictures"

Sure, it's snide, and sure, we all know where he's going with that, but to crucify the guy for it? I kind of took it as tongue in cheek with a little wink wink. Kind of man cave kind of stuff. I'd hope he's not condoning blatant sexualization of the gal. I didn't take it that way anyhow.

Oh well, maybe I need some sensitivity courses also. I sure hate it when I see those firemen calendars, so maybe I'm not that bad either. I don't know, maybe I'm confused.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #56
ultracapper

Just saw your response garyscpa. You and me can PM each other and talk dirty about the old Farrah posters I had on the wall when I was 14. Boy, she sure made a lot of money off those. I hope she wasn't offended and just sold out on herself.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #57
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa
Anyway, "This thread is worthless without pic's" is common message board lingo. I'm pretty sure Chad was merely complimenting Maggie in what he meant to be a humorous way, and some chose to take it wrong and blow it out of proportion.
This is an excuse. This is the reason bad behavior like this continues. There is no place a comment like this should be considered acceptable. If you think this is humorous, why don't you go to your wife/daughter/mother/female coworker and tell her that what she does in life only has meaning, or doesn't, because the way she looks. See what kind of reaction you get and then report back to us.

Last edited by OTM Al; 09-12-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #58
garyscpa

It wasn't bad behavior and it wasn't unacceptable. You're just the type of person who tries to make himself look better by putting down others.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #59
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa
It wasn't bad behavior and it wasn't unacceptable. You're just the type of person who tries to make himself look better by putting down others.
Fine, you want to attack me now instead, go ahead. Try to change the subject. This thread was about the quality of work an individual brings to her job. Someone here says that it is all worthless without what she looks like. Unacceptable. If you don't think this was a blatant sexist comment then back it up. Show me one comment on this board that says Andy Serling's work is worthless without what he looks like. Show me one thread that relates Andy's looks to his job. Or any other male handicapper, jockey, trainer or owner. Been around here a while and never seen one.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #60
garyscpa

Quote:
Fine, you want to attack me now instead, go ahead. Try to change the subject. This thread was about the quality of work an individual brings to her job. Someone here says that it is all worthless without what she looks like. Unacceptable. If you don't think this was a blatant sexist comment then back it up. Show me one comment on this board that says Andy Serling's work is worthless without what he looks like. Show me one thread that relates Andy's looks to his job. Or any other male handicapper, jockey, trainer or owner. Been around here a while and never seen one.
I'm attacking you because you were the one who over-reacted. Also, read the second post in this thread. Also, read the Sam the Bugler thread.

Last edited by garyscpa; 09-12-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Closed Thread