Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Not looking pretty today

Looks like a test of the 2040 support level is coming up shortly...

Oil getting hammered for the second straight day...Gold has been shitting the bed for a while now, which is kind of odd given the turmoil in Greece and the Chinese markets getting blasted...would have thought Gold would be rising as a safe-haven at this time...any thoughts on this? Why isn't Gold rising?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-07-2015 at 10:45 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
_______
Veteran

I'm watching the tour right now, not the markets. But given what you've described, I would guess treasury rates are down. I think most people see t-bills as the safe haven.

I know a lot of people are obsessed with gold but its record as a "safe haven" is actually poor. I posted a link to an article somewhere in off topic about this. I'll see if I can track it down.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
_______
Veteran

Here it is:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfi...e-a-centurion/
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Looks like a test of the 2040 support level is coming up shortly...

Oil getting hammered for the second straight day...Gold has been shitting the bed for a while now, which is kind of odd given the turmoil in Greece and the Chinese markets getting blasted...would have thought Gold would be rising as a safe-haven at this time...any thoughts on this? Why isn't Gold rising?
It depends upon your definition of pretty.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Well, there you go...the market solidly rejects the test of 2040 and is shooting straight back up...some sort of Greece news I'm sure will be blamed on all of this...

All is well now folks...time to buy again....
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
badcompany

Quote:
Well, there you go...the market solidly rejects the test of 2040 and is shooting straight back up...some sort of Greece news I'm sure will be blamed on all of this...

All is well now folks...time to buy again....
When the final shake out comes, it's always sharp, kinda like the downward part of a roller coaster. You just have to hold on tight.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
When the final shake out comes, it's always sharp, kinda like the downward part of a roller coaster. You just have to hold on tight.
Do you really think we're in a spot where the DOW is going to go up another 1000 points?
Old 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Do you really think we're in a spot where the DOW is going to go up another 1000 points?
I'd like to see a strong continuation day, tomorrow, to confirm that this was a significant bottom.

If we get one, yes.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 07-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Gold has been shitting the bed for a while now, which is kind of odd given the turmoil in Greece and the Chinese markets getting blasted...would have thought Gold would be rising as a safe-haven at this time...any thoughts on this? Why isn't Gold rising?
"Chaos has gripped Chinese stocks in recent weeks, sending the previously red-hot market nose diving 25%. The ferocious selling has forced investors who bought stocks with borrowed money to pay back loans by dumping other assets -- including gold and other commodities."

Link
Old 07-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
"Chaos has gripped Chinese stocks in recent weeks, sending the previously red-hot market nose diving 25%. The ferocious selling has forced investors who bought stocks with borrowed money to pay back loans by dumping other assets -- including gold and other commodities."

Link
Your first decent post in months...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to see a strong continuation day, tomorrow, to confirm that this was a significant bottom.

If we get one, yes.
Well, as I write this at 6:36 pm PST the futures are down 14. They were up. My second question to you is this: Don't you think the markets are acting awfully frothy, toppy and sporadic?

Then you throw in Greece, and China, which is probably contributing to the above descriptions, and to my way of thinking you have so much uncertainty that it just seems downright dangerous to be long right now.

Now I could be wrong and this is just noise. But I've seen noise before and it doesn't quite act like this.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
badcompany

Quote:
[/i]Well, as I write this at 6:36 pm PST the futures are down 14. They were up. My second question to you is this: Don't you think the markets are acting awfully frothy, toppy and sporadic?

Then you throw in Greece, and China, which is probably contributing to the above descriptions, and to my way of thinking you have so much uncertainty that it just seems downright dangerous to be long right now.

Now I could be wrong and this is just noise. But I've seen noise before and it doesn't quite act like this.
I agree with you that there is an abnormal amount of noise, right now, but, that's no reason to bail when the market is less than 5% off an all time high and there is still a lot of technical support underneath.

Tolerating volatility is how you get paid in the stock market.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

So where is all of that money going? On the side lines?

Is there any sector rotation going on here?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Market trying to claw back again...I would have liked to have seen some more volume yesterday if I am to believe we aren't going any lower...so I am going to hold to my going lower theory...2080 is resistance and 2040-2050 is support for the moment...I say we don't see much above 2080 anytime soon.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Trading halted on NYSE around 11:32...supposedly some "glitch"

Maybe they are trying their best to stave off an all-out crash?

I'm going to repeat my "NOT LOOKING PRETTY"

We are at lows of the day and the volume is looking pretty perky at the moment...we might even be testing 2040 again soon...I say it doesn't hold...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: