Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
rog9170
Journeyman

Old Dos programs

Looking for old dos programs .
rog9170 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog9170
Looking for old dos programs .
Running a technology museum or what?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
rog9170
Journeyman

Lightbulb Delta Lover

What do u suggest just looking for ideas my friend.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog9170
What do u suggest just looking for ideas my friend.
Start here:

http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/indexall.htm
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
Canarsie

I have the first program that allowed you to hook up to the internet called trumpet. Turns out it wasn't exactly freeware but it opened up the world in unix that was never seen before. Here's the link

http://thanksfortrumpetwinsock.com/
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
QuickHorse

this is too funny you guys!
QuickHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
rog9170
Journeyman

WOW

GEEKS.COM
Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And here I thought the original poster was looking for old DOS handicapping software.

If not, this thread should be moved to off-topic computers.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
rog9170
Journeyman

Question info

I am Just trying to be funny and not let this get out of hand.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have the first program that allowed you to hook up to the internet called trumpet. Turns out it wasn't exactly freeware but it opened up the world in unix that was never seen before. Here's the link

http://thanksfortrumpetwinsock.com/
I remember the first time I set up my 286 computer for the internet... 1991-92?

I was in my local bookstore looking to buy some computer books. The owner asked be if I ever heard of the Internet -- I did but that was about it. I heard about it. He said take this book, $3 bucks, it's good. I'm pretty sure Al Gore wrote the forward, no kidding. LOL

He then took me to his back office where his computer was on. He told me about a Bread Box Board that he connects to at a college in Trenton, NJ. He showed me the screen, it was set up just like our own PA... many, many subjects, etc. I vividly remember seeing a Shareware Room. My new friend told me to go into that Room and I could get any program for free.

If I liked and used the program I could send $5-$10 to the programmer, but only if I used it regularly. Try them all, I remember him saying.

With that, he goes into his desk and pulled out two disks, Telix and a DOS shell program whose name escapes me.

With Telix he showed how to install it, set it up so I didn't have to type my phone number and password with each call, etc., and how to connect and set up a user account with the Trenton Community College, NJTCC user group .

Well, I can't describe the exhilarating feeling that came over me when I set up Telix and called this Bread Box Board. The crackling and swishing sound, the hand-shake noise when the phone lines connected, all that. Wow. I was now in the Internet.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #11
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
I remember the first time I set up my 286 computer for the internet... 1991-92?

I was in my local bookstore looking to buy some computer books. The owner asked be if I ever heard of the Internet -- I did but that was about it. I heard about it. He said take this book, $3 bucks, it's good. I'm pretty sure Al Gore wrote the forward, no kidding. LOL

He then took me to his back office where his computer was on. He told me about a Bread Box Board that he connects to at a college in Trenton, NJ. He showed me the screen, it was set up just like our own PA... many, many subjects, etc. I vividly remember seeing a Shareware Room. My new friend told me to go into that Room and I could get any program for free.

If I liked and used the program I could send $5-$10 to the programmer, but only if I used it regularly. Try them all, I remember him saying.

With that, he goes into his desk and pulled out two disks, Telix and a DOS shell program whose name escapes me.

With Telix he showed how to install it, set it up so I didn't have to type my phone number and password with each call, etc., and how to connect and set up a user account with the Trenton Community College, NJTCC user group .

Well, I can't describe the exhilarating feeling that came over me when I set up Telix and called this Bread Box Board. The crackling and swishing sound, the hand-shake noise when the phone lines connected, all that. Wow. I was now in the Internet.
One of the guys who ran a FidoNet board was somehow able top log into Rutgers and we were able to use their servers. With the help of trumpet there was so much information available with such great resources as gopher and lynx. Everything was in unix.

People used to make a living selling shareware at computer shows and make very good money. Of course this was in the very early stages and lots were not very informed about how shareware worked.

I used to go to the computer festivals there with my wallet full. Blank cd's were around $5 for generics we had to use safe mode before writing anything on them.

Bill Gates was a guest speaker back in the day.

Companies came from as far as Nebraska to sell their wares and make money. The internet destroyed the selling part but that's part of progress. All the computer shows went the way of t rex.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply