Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It just happened again, cost a horse third.
So now if this happened the other day, and the entire world knows that you sorta gotta pay attention to detail, and you're not an apprentice and you dont learn from the other guys mistake,I think a 6 month suspension is in order. How does this happen again?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #62
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

I got no problem with seven days...he made a mistake....he cost me a couple hundred for sure but i actually laughed when i saw it.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #63
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
It's not that the kid didn't ride out his mount, he thought the race was over. I'll never forget Vic calling Eswan Flores's first winner. He was 3 lengths past the finish line and he cracked the horse one more time. Vic said something to the effect, "You've done it young man. The race is won. You can ease up." Funny as hell.
I remember that race. Hey better safe than sorry.

I met Mr. Pena last year at Fresno. We had him in a couple of times. Just bug boy stuff.

Seemed like a fine young man. Respectful and attentive.

IMO no chance he would be involved in anything nefarious.

I worked the Sept. meet at Los Al last year. Several jocks told me it took some getting used to the finish line. Not where it was placed. But how long the stretch is. When they straighten away there the field runs about 10 jumps "before" they pass the quarter pole. In fact Michael Wrona mentioned that in Kentuckian's race today.

Much different than any other So.Cal. track. A couple of riders told me it took some getting used to.

Bug boys make mistakes. That's what bug boy do. It's one of the reasons they get a weight advantage or trainers would never give them a chance.

I'm quite sure Mr. Pena feels just awful and will be quite determined to not make the same mistake again.

I felt the sanction was appropriate. I might have voted for a few more days. Maybe 10. Just to make the ruling look different than a normal suspension and so the other riders would be reminded this was an egregious error.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:01 AM   #64
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Why did they bother renovating the track for a lousy couple of weeks of racing anyway?

If you have to have two finish lines, you probably shouldn't be running a race track.

Run races your crappy track can handle and forget the rest.
i can assure you Los Al has 1 finish line.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #65
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yeah, I get it. I disagree. Such is life, time to move on.
You sound like a racing industry exec who doesnt care. Just givem a slap on the wrist, nothing will ever change in this game as long as we have people saying "move on"
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
You sound like a racing industry exec who doesnt care. Just givem a slap on the wrist, nothing will ever change in this game as long as we have people saying "move on"
I'd like to think I sound more like a human being that doesn't think a struggling young rider should be crucified for a dumb but honest mistake.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #67
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman
Los Al has one finish line, unless you are including the tape they bring on the track for the Weiner Dog races.

The finish line is the same for the T-Breds and the Quarters.
It is where the rail is clearly painted red ends. It is where the wire crosses over the track. It is where the mirror inside the rail is located.
If a jock cant figure it he is at fault.
I stand corrected. I thought it was mentioned here that there were two.
I don't watch Los Al unless it is at night, the 4.5 races.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #68
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I stand corrected. I thought it was mentioned here that there were two.
I don't watch Los Al unless it is at night, the 4.5 races.
You aren't missing anything.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply