Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #46
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
I HATE the term "re-broke." It's an old and popular backstretch expression that makes it sound like they stuck a gate somewhere on the course and required the horse to begin again from a dead-stop. You're one of very few players that I'm aware of using it.
2M, I don't agree with you on this one. Re-broke doesn't make me, in any way, think of a gate being placed elsewhere on the track. It never has. It speaks, to me, of exactly what it describes. At the quarter pole or wherever...another gear that's never been seen by the naked eye with a horse who has never displayed such talent. Confounding, to say the least.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #47
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
No, not like that, which is why he was 2-1 and not 1-2.

My point was he was suppose to win by 10 coming from Parx to Mountaineer. Tough track to an easier track will make horses and trainers look real good.
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #48
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
We've become casually acquainted through my morning work, and Patterson called to chide me about pegging him too high on the morning line. He was right-it wasn't one of my better efforts. In my defense, I can only say two opponents were lower in the win pool.

He's a very smart guy who plans three moves ahead with his horses, but actually was concerned that this one might be a tad short.

Patterson exudes confidence, but my impression is of an over-perfectionist who paces the floor and sweats bullets.
Make every Patterson horse 1-5 ML no matter what.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #49
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
My point was he was suppose to win by 10 coming from Parx to Mountaineer. Tough track to an easier track will make horses and trainers look real good.
the milkowski ratings include dead on balls accurate track to track adjustments which i'm sure are the best in the industry. the 21 point top would be like a power lifter suddenly moving up his bench press 100 pounds just because he crossed a border on some map.

i think kevin patterson was amy albright's boyfriend at charles town? idk if they're together anymore?? always seemed real strong at 4 1/2 f....
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #50
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

I've never used "rebreak" in a call but I've always equated it with a struggling horse switching to the correct lead in the stretch and suddenly lifting because of that lead change.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #51
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
2M, I don't agree with you on this one. Re-broke doesn't make me, in any way, think of a gate being placed elsewhere on the track. It never has. It speaks, to me, of exactly what it describes. At the quarter pole or wherever...another gear that's never been seen by the naked eye with a horse who has never displayed such talent. Confounding, to say the least.
"Broke" doesn't relate to a starting gate?? But instead to a pole? We will have to disagree on this one, maam. But I'm glad it sparked discussion and had a feeling it might. Tx for the response. It's really a subjective thing.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #52
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity

i think kevin patterson was amy albright's boyfriend at charles town? idk if they're together anymore?? always seemed real strong at 4 1/2 f....
Wondered how long it would take for someone to make the connection to Albright.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Wondered how long it would take for someone to make the connection to Albright.
BINGO.

Last edited by cj; 07-04-2015 at 04:16 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #54
proximity

if that was wrong of me to post then i'm sorry.

usually the stuff you hear at the track is just gossip or whatever and doesn't really help, but sometimes it does. an example was last year when i actually found out that joe sharp (yes, all the way down at fg) was going to be a good trainer. more often the news is local like when brandon kulp started training at pen.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #55
ultracapper

Quote:
accelerated on cue..found a new gear..spurted away...etc...
Mine has always been "FIRED". Straightened for home and FIRED.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #56
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:

usually the stuff you hear at the track is just gossip or whatever and doesn't really help, but sometimes it does. an example was last year when i actually found out that joe sharp (yes, all the way down at fg) was going to be a good trainer. more often the news is local like when brandon kulp started training at pen.
The Paulick Report said they were engaged to be married, as of Jan 2012. You merely highlighted the connection.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 05:27 PM   #57
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Probably dental work, or hind end issues.
lol, i actually thought of your post this morning, when despite waking up with a killer toothache i was flying at a (personal) course record pace on my morning run. not a 21 point jump, but my beyer was about to escape "-0" status for maybe the first time since college when suddenly, from out of the bushes, i'm attacked by a dog named blizzard.

"blizzard....nooooooo!!" the owners screamed.

but it was too late.

still in the -0s beyerwise. at least timeform would give me credit for pace.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #58
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
lol, i actually thought of your post this morning, when despite waking up with a killer toothache i was flying at a (personal) course record pace on my morning run. not a 21 point jump, but my beyer was about to escape "-0" status for maybe the first time since college when suddenly, from out of the bushes, i'm attacked by a dog named blizzard.

"blizzard....nooooooo!!" the owners screamed.

but it was too late.

still in the -0s beyerwise. at least timeform would give me credit for pace.
Yes, as long as you finished the race
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #59
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yes, as long as you finished the race
lol, i think there also needs to be a weight adjustment for the fraction that blizzard was attached to my leg.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #60
Ruffian1

Quote:

No. It was not wrong, the truth rarely is.

I was a horseman. A damn proud one. And I will still defend the word Horseman because these wannabees are drug store trainers and not anywhere near a horseman . From zero to hero trainers, rarely around anyone that could train ivy to grow up a wall much less be a true horsemen, prior to there "success", are so obvious to spot yet the powers that "could" do something, do nothing.

These zeros to heroes are a disgrace to the game as are the people that "could" act but choose not too.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply