Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMONT 6-6-09
I understand the business aspects $$$$$, but when you have the BEST, you race in the BEST RACE, the Travers stakes, the oldest race in the country! It is not called the Midsummer Derby for nothing. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you. With a Triple Crown winner, you're pretty much obliged to go to the Travers. They'll be ridiculed if they skip it.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I totally agree with you. With a Triple Crown winner, you're pretty much obliged to go to the Travers. They'll be ridiculed if they skip it.

Triple crown, Haskell, Travers, BCC wins = best 3 year old campaign ever?
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #18
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420
Triple crown, Haskell, Travers, BCC wins = best 3 year old campaign ever?

Man O War was 11 for 11 but didn't run in the Derby. If AP wins the Travers and the Classic it would certainly put him in elite company.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #19
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Man O War was 11 for 11 but didn't run in the Derby. If AP wins the Travers and the Classic it would certainly put him in elite company.

another interesting path would be Haskell then JCGC vs CC and older horses then to the Classic. I find the path they choose for him oddly intriguing. If it was me Id take him for a lap around my home state track. That would be kinda cool. Thats why id like to see him run the Haskell... well, that and id like to do a Jersey shore weekend trip this summer and what better weekend then that...

Last edited by nads1420; 06-19-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #20
DeltaLover

Quote:
Back then the Derby and the TC in general, was not what we know today.. They both were clearly less important targets for a 3yo
Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
castaway01

Quote:
true but its not 1950 anymore and why wouldnt you race in your home state then go to Travers
To be fair, you were the one who started the thread about match races and had never heard of Ruffian, so perhaps you're not the only who should be talking about what things were like in 1950....
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #22
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
To be fair, you were the one who started the thread about match races and had never heard of Ruffian, so perhaps you're not the only who should be talking about what things were like in 1950....
that is true luckily im only 35 and still got many years, however i do know enough to know the Travers was a big deal at one point albeit the 1900's were a long time ago and this millennium its kinda been a powder puff race. Man i miss them damn 90's

Last edited by nads1420; 06-19-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
that is true luckily im only 35 and still got many years, however i do know enough to know the Travers was a big deal at one point albeit the 1900's were a long time ago and this millenium its kinda been a powder puff race.
Sigh.

I don't think it's worth it to take you to school...you're sounding more trollish by the moment...

But I'll repeat...the winners of the Travers since 2000-2001 vs. the winners of the Haskell during the same time period are not as divergent in quality as you would make it seem.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 06-19-2015 at 02:11 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #24
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Sigh.

I don't think it's worth it to take you to school...you're sounding more trollish by the moment...

But I'll repeat...the winners of the Travers since 2000-2001 vs. the winners of the Haskell during the same time period are not as divergent in quality as you would make it seem.

hey man, its all in good fun. just the way i see it. i live in NY but im not partial to NYRA. I dont really have a rooting interest in tracks what so ever. I can see you are pro NYRA which is fine. I just dont see the point in being a fan of this states tracks or that states tracks or whatever. all good

Personally i just want to make it to Del Mar one day that place looks so cool. Kentucky Derby is obviously on the bucket list as well

Last edited by nads1420; 06-19-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
letswastemoney

I just don't get the point of beating 3 year olds again.

I vote for Whitney, JCGC, BC Classic.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
hey man, its all in good fun. just the way i see it. i live in NY but im not partial to NYRA. I dont really have a rooting interest in tracks what so ever. I can see you are pro NYRA which is fine. I just dont see the point in being a fan of this states tracks or that states tracks or whatever. all good

Personally i just want to make it to Del Mar one day that place looks so cool. Kentucky Derby is obviously on the bucket list as well
Well, given the list of winners of each race since 2001, why is it you feel the Haskell currently dwarfs the Travers?

From 2001-2014, not counting Point Given since he won both races, I have the Haskell having a ONE RACE LEAD in terms of who had the better horse winning. Perhaps you are going on overall composition of field? I don't have access or the memory for who was in the field for all years...but basing it solely on the winner, the two races are pretty much even this millennium.

So I believe you're wrong in your assessment that the Travers has taken a backseat to the Haskell during this millennium.

Code:
Year	Travers 	Haskell			Comment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2002	Medaglia d'Oro	War Emblem		Edge to Haskell (at time of race, but history showed MDO to be better horse)
2003	Ten Most Wanted	Peace Rules		Edge to Haskell
2004	Birdstone	Lion Heart		Edge to Travers
2005	Flower Alley	Roman Ruler		Edge to Travers
2006	Bernardini	Bluegrass Cat		Edge to Travers
2007	Street Sense	Any Given Saturday	Edge to Travers
2008	Colonel John	Big Brown		Edge to Haskell
2009	Summer Bird	Rachel Alexandra	Edge to Haskell
2010	Afleet Express	Lookin at Lucky		Edge to Haskell
2011	Stay Thirsty	Coil			Edge to Travers
2012	Alpha/Gldn Tckt	Paynter			Edge to Haskell
2013	Will Take Chrg	Verrazano		Edge to Travers
2014	V.E. Day	Bayern			Edge to Haskell
Old 06-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
pandy

I to believe that some of those Haskell's were easier fields overall, so even though horse that won was a fine horse, the field was probably not as competitive as the Travers.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #28
nads1420
Veteran

maybe.... but if you take all those winners and rank them in order i think it would paint a different picture...

on a side note Paynter was a really good horse.... really underrated

and didnt he almost die then come back and win a race or 2... that was a good horse

Last edited by nads1420; 06-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #29
nijinski

In a post Belmont interview alluded to some to some slight bit of
caution . He said I feel like I want to put him away somewhere wrapped
up in a bubble .

Perhaps it was a moments frenzy but it hints to possibly keeping
things cautious or conservative . I would think he will stay with his age
group and go to the Haskell . Baffert has major success with this track
and Zayat initially wanted this .
I would be surprised if he meets older horses before the BCC .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
maybe.... but if you take all those winners and rank them in order i think it would paint a different picture...

on a side note Paynter was a really good horse.... really underrated

and didnt he almost die then come back and win a race or 2... that was a good horse
Paynter's only major win was the Haskell, was it not? He was 4 for 11 lifetime...are you sure he was underrated? He had a nice feel-good story to him in the end, but at the time of the Haskell/Travers that year, I would call that one a tie, although I gave the edge to the Haskell on name recognition alone...but that really came later, after the Travers/Haskell of 2012.

Like I said, this millennium, the two races are tied...the Haskell certainly does NOT have a big edge.