Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #1
molson721

SHUT UP Mountaineer handicappers

Let me first start off by saying I like to listen to the Mountaineer race analysts discuss the race. I have one problem, WHY MUST THEY DISCUSS THEIR HANDICAPPING THOUGHTS UNTIL THERE IS 1 MINUTE TO POST? Is there any other track that has handicappers express their opinions and pick the race so close to post time. I wager online but how does this help me when they talk so long about their selections until there is 1 minute to post or less? I have been told they read and post here so please listen to me. SHUT UP when there are 5 minutes to post so I can digest your thoughts. I can't use them if you talk till they are about to load in the gate. Name a track where the analysts keep discussing the race so close to post time. Am I asking too much?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721
Let me first start off by saying I like to listen to the Mountaineer race analysts discuss the race. I have one problem, WHY MUST THEY DISCUSS THEIR HANDICAPPING THOUGHTS UNTIL THERE IS 1 MINUTE TO POST? Is there any other track that has handicappers express their opinions and pick the race so close to post time. I wager online but how does this help me when they talk so long about their selections until there is 1 minute to post or less? I have been told they read and post here so please listen to me. SHUT UP when there are 5 minutes to post so I can digest your thoughts. I can't use them if you talk till they are about to load in the gate. Name a track where the analysts keep discussing the race so close to post time. Am I asking too much?
You might have a legitimate grouse, but with language like what you are using you are going to have people listening to you.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
Some_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721
The HK telecast does the same thing.

And if you don't want to listen to them, hit the f'ing mute button on your media player. Obviously there are some other there who do want to listen to them, why should the world revolve around you?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
castaway01

I always thought the Mountaineer broadcast was more like "two friends talking about the race" like they were sitting with you as post time approached rather than the usual paddock discussion that ends with 10 minutes to post. I like it because it's different and Mark and Nancy are knowledgeable.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
You might have a legitimate grouse, but with language like what you are using you are going to have people listening to you.
not.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:35 AM   #6
letswastemoney

Just don't let the talking bother you. If you're opinionated enough and trust your thoughts, what difference does it make what they say 1 minute to post.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 AM   #7
lamboguy

i guess people get pretty touchy over nothing. its like cash in your pocket if you know how to listen to the Mountaineer simulcast. just last night i was about to miss the 2 furlong race, the horse that won it was more of a cinch than AMERICAN PHAROAH was in the Belmont stakes. i wound up playing and cashing the race pretty good. Mark also pushed to go in on the Eric Reed horse to place in the maiden race. as it happens, i didn't like betting to place on that horse so i passed, but the horse still won.

this is the real world, its not that easy to pick and bet $20 horses, these guys will annalise short priced horses and help you with the probabilities.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
Just don't let the talking bother you. If you're opinionated enough and trust your thoughts, what difference does it make what they say 1 minute to post.
If you are at home you can mute when you want to concentrate. It's tough if you are at a track and are forced to listen when you need to concentrate on your betting structures. Some track announcers are extremely annoying constantly talking right and making "announcements" right up till the load and then still talking during the load, it's just another reason to not go to the track, too much noise pollution that you don't have to deal with at home.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
mountainman

God knows, I'm not perfect, and the guy has a legit point. But For better or worse, I could never do superficial analysis. Even after 15 years on the show, most races still enthuse me and present subtleties that require local knowledge and just can't be illuminated in 20 seconds.

Also, it has always been our custom to cover every horse. In addition, predicting tote moves and corrections is undoubtedly one of my strong-suits, and I have to stay WITH the board action to remark on it.

To be honest, my success as a tv analyst has always surprised me, because my handicapping style and philosophies don't lend themselves to concise presentation. It's things like trainer intent, track bias, race conditions and riding strategy that hopefully separate me from some other talking heads. And those elements can't be covered in 30 seconds.

So if you like standard blow-by analysis ( the 3 has speed , the 6 is consistent, blah blah blah) ours will never be your favorite show. But, again, the gentleman DOES have a legitimate gripe, and we will try to get out sooner. Either way, thanks for the comments, and thanks for watching.

Last edited by mountainman; 06-09-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
cnollfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
God knows, I'm not perfect, and the guy has a legit point. But For better or worse, I could never do superficial analysis. Even after 15 years on the show, most races still enthuse me and present subtleties that require local knowledge and just can't be illuminated in 20 seconds.

Also, it has always been our custom to cover every horse. In addition, predicting tote moves and corrections is undoubtedly one of my strong-suits, and I have to stay WITH the board action to remark on it.

To be honest, my success as a tv analyst has always surprised me, because my handicapping style and philosophies don't lend themselves to concise presentation. It's things like trainer intent, track bias, race conditions and riding strategy that hopefully separate me from some other talking heads. And those elements can't be covered in 30 seconds.

So if you like standard blow-by analysis ( the 3 has speed , the 6 is consistent, blah blah blah) ours will never be your favorite show. But, again, the gentleman DOES have a legitimate gripe, and we will try to get out sooner. Either way, thanks for the comments, and thanks for watching.
MountainMan, yours is the only prerace commentary I don't mute.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

What Mark didn't mention is that a few years ago, at the request of the West Virginia Racing Commission, I began introducing each runner as they came onto the track. This can take anywhere from 45-90 seconds. It's probable that time would be better served with handicapping discussion, although I can understand both sides. I will revisit the subject with my boss.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
mountainman

We do get squeezed on the other end, but it's still unfair of us to impinge on an announcer of Pete's caliber. As post time draws near, the floor must be his. We aren't Mountaineer's only assets, and of this we are acutely aware.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
We do get squeezed on the other end, but it's still unfair of us to impinge on an announcer of Pete's caliber. As post time draws near, the floor must be his. We aren't Mountaineer's only assets, and of this we are acutely aware.
I'm a small cog in the Mountaineer machine.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
powerrun

Quote:

I just want to say that I enjoy your (and Nancy's) analysis. I am particularly fond of maiden races so I like to see what you have to say about the first time starters. Keep up the great work!
Old 06-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
RarifiedAir
Veteran

Quote:

Hi Mark. Just allow me to say... YOU ROCK! Ditto Nancy. I have nothing but praise and have been watching probably since you and Nancy started. Outstanding!

Ok Mark... a question. Don't feel you have to answer. I remember a long while back now. It was the 2nd to last race. You were all over an 8-1 (or so) shot really talking it up. Well that 8-1 dominated late and won easy. BUT... an inquiry came up and that horse got DQed. I watched that and no way should that have been a DQ. Well you didn't come on for the last race it was just Nancy. I thought you got robbed and maybe needed that time to cool down. Or maybe not. Still something I remember for some reason.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: