Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
TheOracle

Only 8 horses in Belmont Stakes ?-- did promoters want A. P. to win?

This was a very short field not taking anything away from A. P. he did his thing but its strange that only 8 horses were in the race this year.
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

That's kind of what happens when the training population in general sits in awe...did you read some of the trainer comments, even from those competing against AP, prior to the Belmont.

Plus, who exactly should have been in that wasn't...Dortmund...Mr Z?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
gillenr
Optimist

That was the largest field a TC winner ever ran against.
gillenr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
That's kind of what happens when the training population in general sits in awe...did you read some of the trainer comments, even from those competing against AP, prior to the Belmont.

Plus, who exactly should have been in that wasn't...Dortmund...Mr Z?

I remember many thought Competitive Edge was going to be a threat in the Preakness coming back in two weeks for Pletcher, which was laughable. He couldn't come back in five and win the Woody Stephens.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenr
That was the largest field a TC winner ever ran against.
Time is a funny thing, isn't it. So many people are saying that AP doesn't measure up and that he had things his own way yesterday, and on and on. But if his form read 1965 instead of 2015, we'd all be saying until some horse can beat more than 7 others in the Belmont in sub 2:27, well, that horse is no American Pharoah.

It'll take us 50 years to appreciate what he did this spring.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

It's a funny thing that when a horse loses the triple crown bid at Belmont, certain people complain about having to run against fresh horses. Now with a winner there is talk about short fields.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #7
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
This was a very short field not taking anything away from A. P. he did his thing but its strange that only 8 horses were in the race this year.
Not a short field for the Belmont at all---got to learn your history.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
Cratos

Quote:
Yes you are, but you apparently will not admit it.

We as horseplayers become seductively intoxicated with the "woulda, coulda" syndrome and refuse to see or understand the reality of horseracing.

American Pharoah won the TC and the Belmont Stakes without any shenanigans and that is the REALITY.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

I had a bunch of people text me saying it looked like a boat race. A person who goes to the track on occasion and is not a hardcore player texted me 'looked like a race to help the industry"

I also got a text today from the same person "who are these "fans" that only flocked there on the big day, where are they on all the other days to support the sport on a regular basis?"

TAP has 300 horses he couldnt enter 1 rabbit to battle up AP?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I had a bunch of people text me saying it looked like a boat race. A person who goes to the track on occasion and is not a hardcore player texted me 'looked like a race to help the industry"

I also got a text today from the same person "who are these "fans" that only flocked there on the big day, where are they on all the other days to support the sport on a regular basis?"

Why would American Pharoah get involved with a rabbit? He has shown before he doesn't need the lead.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why would American Pharoah get involved with a rabbit? He has shown before he doesn't need the lead.
Its just one more factor. If the rabbit had post outside of AP he could have pressed him, once AP was sent to the lead he wasnt going to grab and yield like a harness horse he was going to keep going. Just forces him to have one more thing to deal with.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Its just one more factor. If the rabbit had post outside of AP he could have pressed him, once AP was sent to the lead he wasnt going to grab and yield like a harness horse he was going to keep going. Just forces him to have one more thing to deal with.
It wouldn't have mattered.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #13
Strike The Gold

Quote:
Only 4 horses competed against Secretariat in 1973. Going back to 2003, the average field size was about 9.7 - in 2003 field size was 6. 1977 was 8 and in 1978 it was 5.
Strike The Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
It wouldn't have mattered.
Of course it wouldnt have mattered but you dont know that before the race.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
Ruffian1

Quote:

Like the "industry" didn't need help before now.

Unreal.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply