Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #46
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
The race was run in a bog and had one of the fastest half miles in Preakness history.

I really don't get this obsession with final times without perspective.
That's 65 years of perspective. Rain, sun, clouds, fog, whatever. It was a slow finish. The winner would have likely been beat by open lengths in an average year with that time.

Last edited by f2tornado; 05-17-2015 at 10:15 AM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #47
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado
That's 65 years of perspective. Rain, sun, clouds, fog, whatever. It was a slow finish. The winner would have likely been beat by open lengths in an average year with that time.
but it wasn't an average year, so what are you comparing it to really??
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #48
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado
The reality is, it was essentially a 3 horse race, one of the contenders had an impossible wide trip and the other was trained by the same trainer, so he wasn't about to go up and challenge his stablemate, and the winner loved the slop. Let's not forget, he won by 5 lengths but with the exception of Dortmund, who had no rally, the other horses weren't top colts so he drew away from nothing. To me, it was deceiving. It looked better than it was. However, that doesn't mean that he can't win the Belmont, if he faces a weak field again he can.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #49
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
The reality is, it was essentially a 3 horse race, one of the contenders had an impossible wide trip and the other was trained by the same trainer, so he wasn't about to go up and challenge his stablemate, and the winner loved the slop. Let's not forget, he won by 5 lengths but with the exception of Dortmund, who had no rally, the other horses weren't top colts so he drew away from nothing. To me, it was deceiving. It looked better than it was. However, that doesn't mean that he can't win the Belmont, if he faces a weak field again he can.
I really cannot follow what you are saying here Pandy..

AP won impressively the Preakness (which was an eight and not three horse race) continuing his stellar career in the most convincing way... To me he was not deceiving at all, as he looked as exactly what he is: The best 3yo in training
Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113
Not sure about greatness, well let me put it to you a different way. There have been four horses that have entered the Belmont having won at least 5 Grade Ones.

Secretariat (7), Seattle Slew (5), Affirmed (5), Spectacular Bid (8)

American Pharoah (5) is now the 5th.

The company he is keeping is the Mt. Rushmore of horse racing over that last four decades.
Come on. American Pharoah on racing's Mt. Rushmore, alongside Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Spectacular Bid? Grade 1 wins aren't the end-all...especially when they are restricted.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Come on. American Pharoah on racing's Mt. Rushmore, alongside Secretariat, Seattle Slew and Spectacular Bid? Grade 1 wins aren't the end-all...especially when they are restricted.
Seattle Slew was considered by MANY to be slow and unworthy...raced against nothing as a 3yo...all through his Triple Crown victories. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Do you consider Seattle Slew to be unworthy of racing's Mt. Rushmore?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #52
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
To me he was not deceiving at all, as he looked as exactly what he is: The best 3yo in training
There have been other 3 year-olds who towered over their competition, and who won the first two legs of the TC while recording much faster ratings than AP. They strutted onto the Belmont strip surrounded by all kinds of optimism and accolades...but they were all defeated by horses who could not get anywhere near them previously.

One more time, I say...
Old 05-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #53
Appy

NOW a number of people are saying AP's competition wasn't much. But pre-Derby this has been touted as one of the highest quality 3 yr old crops in years. AP is the one who has excelled, and looks entirely capable of doing the TC deed. There is a different feel to this Derby/Preakness winner's attempt than in previous years.
I didn't get to see the Preakness until replays after our storms let up, but two things about the race stood out to me more than anything else. One was the fact that this time Espinoza RODE the horse, using his crop only for a cue giving devise. Not once did he use it as a whip. Great to see that.
The second thing was Firing Line nearly going down coming out of the gate. Same problem Materiality had in the Derby. I see that as a valid excuse for sub-par performances from these two horses.
Sincere congrats to all AP connections, but especially to Espinoza on a job very well done.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:49 PM   #54
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Seattle Slew was considered by MANY to be slow and unworthy...raced against nothing as a 3yo...all through his Triple Crown victories. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

No, I consider Slew to be worthy...that's why I placed him right between Secretariat and The Bid. But American Pharoah isn't of the same caliber, IMO.

The number of Grade 1 wins doesn't tell the whole story...

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-17-2015 at 01:02 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #55
thaskalos

Quote:
I don't think Slew was considered slow by "MANY". Beyer was the most vocal one, and he was one-dimensional in his horse racing opinions at that time...but he was ridiculed by other, more experienced players. I doubt that Beyer would make the same mistake today.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #56
dilanesp

Quote:

I do. He isn't close to the top 4 all time. Quite good though.

But you are correct that there was a lot of skepticism when he was in the TC. He didn't really seal his reputation until he beat Affirmed.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #57
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
These are independent trials.
Not totally. The conditions of the Belmont Stakes for a triple crown attempt are fixed. Tge horses are different though.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #58
pandy

I was at the Belmont for Slew's win and I didn't talk to a single person that didn't think he was a lock. Everyone was just there to watch him seal the deal. Slew and Secretariat were the only two horses that won the first two legs that I felt were locks in the Belmont. I thought the Derby was definitely a solid win for A.P. but the Preakness was not a good field, overall. As I said, once Firing Line got that wide trip, A.P. only had one horse, his stablemate, to beat.

Last edited by pandy; 05-17-2015 at 01:10 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #59
DeltaLover

[QUOTE=thaskalos]There have been other 3 year-olds who towered over their competition, and who won the first two legs of the TC while recording much faster ratings than AP. They strutted onto the Belmont strip surrounded by all kinds of optimism and accolades...but they were all defeated by horses who could not get anywhere near them previously.

One more time, I say...[/QUOTEt

(1) I am not a firm believer about ratings and I am reluctant to judge a classic horse based on them (see Zenyata)

(2) We should not compare ratings across historical results. What really counts is how AP compares to his rivals (and he is clearly the best).

I think it is a coin flip if we are going to have a TC winner this year
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #60
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
These are independent trials.
So true. This historical handicapping theory is like saying that if you toss a coin 9 times and get all heads then the 10th toss cannot come up tails. Each toss is an independent trial just as each independent year is with horses. Elementary law of probability. Something handicappers should familiarize themselves with.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply