Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
chadk66

any fracture to a major bone like that is not minor
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

HOY or nickel claimer.....Mike made the right call.
As bettors, that is the risk we take when a living creature is part of our game.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #18
ILovetheInner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
HOY or nickel claimer.....Mike made the right call.
As bettors, that is the risk we take when a living creature is part of our game.
Wisely said.
ILovetheInner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Heard them say on TVG he is out all of 2015, so that doesn't exactly sound minor.
I think they were listening to an owner who didn't know what he was talking about. Hollendorfer said later that the horse would be out 6-8 weeks, so that means he could be back by the Fall.

A hairline crack at the point of his hip is probably the safest place a horse could develop a crack. Regardless, it takes time for the crack to heal up. This is a minor injury in the grand scheme of things. He'll be back at 100% and relatively soon.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
I think they were listening to an owner who didn't know what he was talking about. Hollendorfer said later that the horse would be out 6-8 weeks, so that means he could be back by the Fall.

A hairline crack at the point of his hip is probably the safest place a horse could develop a crack. Regardless, it takes time for the crack to heal up. This is a minor injury in the grand scheme of things. He'll be back at 100% and relatively soon.
This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us. Why not break a little ground and be completely transparent. They have nothing to lose? In fact it's counter to what we are used to in this game. I am suspect of everything coming out of a trainers or owners mouth anymore.

not to downplay the effort......... he kept running and Smith was obviously right to pull him up.

Last edited by JustRalph; 04-23-2015 at 01:10 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #21
Brogan

If you want to see the x-ray, buy into the horse. Otherwise, its not your business.

Now as far as what owners and trainers tell us? They aren't under oath, and have no real obligation to tell us anything, some things, or everything. We just have to make our own judgment on their veracity.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan
If you want to see the x-ray, buy into the horse. Otherwise, its not your business.

Now as far as what owners and trainers tell us? They aren't under oath, and have no real obligation to tell us anything, some things, or everything. We just have to make our own judgment on their veracity.
I guess we do the same thing when it comes to NFL players. And they get much more money bet on their game..........(s)
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #23
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us. Why not break a little ground and be completely transparent. They have nothing to lose? In fact it's counter to what we are used to in this game. I am suspect of everything coming out of a trainers or owners mouth anymore.

not to downplay the effort......... he kept running and Smith was obviously right to pull him up.
quite frankly it's none of our damn business.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

What do you mean in that second sentence? Horses come out of races and works all the time with fractures, chips, etc.

And this one would be a curious one to question. They didn't fly across the country with the top horse in the country to pull him up, put him on the shelf for 2 months, all for..... what, some kind of inexplicable betting coup? Hollendorfer put his life savings down on Moreno, even though he lost more when SB lost?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
What do you mean in that second sentence? Horses come out of races and works all the time with fractures, chips, etc.

And this one would be a curious one to question. They didn't fly across the country with the top horse in the country to pull him up, put him on the shelf for 2 months, all for..... what, some kind of inexplicable betting coup? Hollendorfer put his life savings down on Moreno, even though he lost more when SB lost?
No I don't believe they flew cross country for some nefarious reason. But wouldn't it be nice if you stacked a ton of cash on the horse and you were left shaking your head after the race, you get to see the actual x ray? That would be breaking ground in my opine. Completely transparent. Like I said, breaking some ground in a way.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #26
Prairie Bettor

Too bad there aren't pre-race warm-ups so the jickey could diagnose before bettors money is on the line...
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #27
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
Too bad there aren't pre-race warm-ups so the jickey could diagnose before bettors money is on the line...
there is
Old 04-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #28
Brogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
Maybe they could come up with a way that the betting public could get a look at the horses before they go on the track too.
Brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #29
Rex Phinney

Man lots of sour grapes in hear I think. The horse obviously got hurt, these things happen.

Sounds like some of you would want a refund if Tom Brady turned an ankle during a game too.

Anyone betting on SB at that price IMO deserved to lose their money anyway. That was a race to keep your hands in your pockets if I ever saw one.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #30
bks

Quote:
This is the part I am curious about. I cannot imagine he could have much of a crack and kept running........ They should put up an X ray......show us.
Didn't you see it, Ralph? They posted it on a web site right next to Obama's birth certificate.

The horse is a gelding. His value is exclusively on the race track. There are zero plausible scenarios under which it makes sense to tank a $1.5M race, and then sit out another 2-3 months of racing during which another million or two might have been earned while the owners sit under a shaded canopy at Del Mar or Saratoga.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply