Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #61
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Seeing these huge lists makes me envious of all the places some of you have been. I have only been to 10 tracks in all 40 years of betting, as a disclaimer I am somewhat claustrophobic and not comfortable packed like a sardine in an airplane. Also being now a self employed army of one I cannot take long vacations, I am willing to drive all day to get some where. Living in Central Virginia now looking forward to visiting New Jersey, New York and West Virginia tracks soon
Lots of great racing within a couple of hours drive of your location. Do you enjoy steeplechasing? Here's the Spring schedule:
Foxfield Spring, April 25 Charlottesville (Non-Wagering)
Virginia Gold Cup, May 2 The Plains (Pari-Mutual)

Here's the Fall schedule:
Foxfield Fall, September 27 Charlottesville (Non-Wagering)
Virginia Fall, October 10 Middleburg (Non-Wagering)
International Gold Cup, October 24 The Plains (Wagering)
Montpelier, November 7 Montpelier Station (Non-Wagering)

Admission can be a little high, but because most, if not all, are fundraisers and I think some portion of the admission is a tax write-off (if you itemize).

I've been to all of them and they are all a great day out. However, if you need the betting action (small pools), I couldn't recommend The Plains high enough. The jumps course is the best layout in the US and starting last year, they've added a number of VA state-bred flat races.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #62
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman
Yeah, the current count is 340. It'll probably be a few years till I make it back to Europe or Australia. They are the areas that still have a lot of racecourses that I haven't visited. Only have 20 or so left in the US/Canada, so I plan to go to the following this year:
Brown County Fair (SD)
Miles City (MT)
Hazel Park (MI)
Chippewa Downs (ND)
Belterra Park (OH)
Van Wert County Fair (OH)
Camarero (PR)
Ellis Thomas Downs (BVI)
I've never known anyone who's been to Camarero in Puerto Rico. I know Jamaica also has a track near Kingston. Don't know anyone who's been there, either.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #63
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I've never known anyone who's been to Camarero in Puerto Rico. I know Jamaica also has a track near Kingston. Don't know anyone who's been there, either.
With family not in town for Christmas this year, I figured we would give Camarero a try (I believe they run on Christmas Day). But if not on Christmas Day, one of the days preceding. Then, we would try for one of the Boxing Day meets somewhere in the Caribbean, probably on one of the Virgin Islands. Most likely BVI, but it could be the track on St. Thomas or St. Croix. Logistically, putting this trip together could be quite a challenge.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 AM   #64
Inner Dirt

I would say Agri-Park Downs looks to be a no frills operation, can you even get a beer and a hot dog there? That jockey in the winner's circle looks rather large to make the common weight of 122 or less.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #65
Aner

No one has mentioned Tanforan, a track south of San Francisco that burned down in 1964.

One day I was there with my buddy Don (at that time a new acquaintance) and he asked a person in our group to buy him a ticket on Vegas Bandit. In those days there were long lines at the selling windows (shorter lines at the cashing windows) so we took turns standing in line with bets from the whole group. This friend brought back a ticket on a different horse that also has Vegas in his name. When Don decided not to mention the mistake, I called him magnanimous. When Don stiffened up, I asked why. He said he thought it was a negative term. We often joked about it later on. Don passed away in 1990 during the running of the Kentucky Derby while I was at Golden Gate Fields making Don's last bet -a win ticket on the undefeated Mr. Frisky. Mr. Frisky lost too.

― John Pfeiffer
Aner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #66
affirmedny

TB- hollywood, green mountain, beulah, rockingham, scarborough, garden state(old & new), atlantic city

Harness- garden state, brandywine, liberty bell, foxboro, hinsdale, sportsmans, lebanon, lewiston, roosevelt, blue bonnets
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #67
johnhannibalsmith

Scanman and Track Collecter still the only two people to have been to Yavapai and they've seen racing on Jupiter.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #68
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La
the old Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La

I have been to Camarero in San Juan when it was known as El Comandante...even visited Flambouyant Downs in St. Croix, USVI
Old 04-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #69
codysakic

Bandera Downs and G Rollie White Downs. The latter was a track in the middle of nowhere in Brady Texas. I went there as a kid with my grandfather and great uncle in 1989 when the track opened.

Probably the only on this forum that has even heard of that track.
codysakic is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #70
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Scanman and Track Collecter still the only two people to have been to Yavapai and they've seen racing on Jupiter.
Too funny!!!

I'll tell you, transiting to some of these remote tracks seems what it might be like to drive on Jupiter.

Shame about Yavapai. Hope they can get it going again. Such a nice little track.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #71
elhelmete

Are Hazel Park and Thistledown really closed?

I thought HP ran a TB meet last year?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #72
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Jefferson Downs in Kenner, La
the old Evangeline Downs in Carencro, La

I have been to Camarero in San Juan when it was known as El Comandante...even visited Flambouyant Downs in St. Croix, USVI
Make that Flambouyant Park, not Downs...and it's now known as Doc James Park
Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #73
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Phantom - If/ (hopefully) when I make that trip I'll probably PM you for your advice.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #74
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete

Thistle opens on 4/27 (yeah, opening on a Monday...what? lol)...definitely not closed

Hazel is still running too, at least they were last year...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #75
five-eighths

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete

Hazel Park is definitely open, in fact they extended the meet last year since Northville was unable to convert their track in time. Looking forward to Opening Day on May 1st.
five-eighths is offline   Reply With Quote Reply