Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
Dark Horse

I doubt 'a little soft tissue swelling' will change his plans, and take it as a polite way of saying the horse is fine.

Of course the first attention is on the wellbeing of the horse, as it should be, but how many times does this have to happen before somebody investigates the obvious?

Quote:
With more than $600,000—most of it bet on Shared Belief—in the show pool, the prices were skewed. Moreno paid $16 to win, $12 to place and $23.30 to show, while Imperative (31-1) returned $44.60 and $71.20.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
sammy the sage

a horse that WAS NOT eased...was hurt in that race as well....ie...Moreno.....the winner...limping...and walking not galloping back to winners circle...hope he's ok...and they give him a break...
Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
spang99

I saw Lozano pull up his horse 2 jumps out of the gate at Mountaineer on friday night. From my view, I could see no apparent reason for this to happen. Truly one of the oddest thing I've seen in my 30 years around the game.

I'd like it a lot of Mark could do some digging to determine the reason he did this. Personally, I think the reason may have been a result of the rider becoming fearful of something going wrong, but not as the result of something that actually did go wrong.

Seemed to me that anybody who backed this horse got the royal screw job.

I hope that I'm wrong and that Mountain Man can provide the facts of the matter here.
spang99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #19
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Sammy,

I completely missed Moreno's actions after the race. Any word on his condition, guys?
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I just saw a 10-1 shot eased at Santa Anita in a sprint race. The horse just "couldnt run at all" and walked across the line. This happens a lot that i'm noticing. Swissarella. She looked sharp on paper, maybe a smidge outclassed, but she had been racing well, she didn't figure to be eased here or lose by a billion lengths, yet, she couldn't run at all, sharp form she was running mid 60s beyers, and now her Beyer today might be 0 or close to it.

I know what you're saying about state bred races, some of those runners are barely "horses" and can't run a lick and normally run beyers in the teens and close to 0, but when "normal horses' who have lifetime earnings and lifetime wins and appear to be sharp on paper "just can't run" with no warning, i'm wondering if this has always been happening and i just never noticed it.
one thing to keep in mind is that there are some filly's that pull a plow when they are in season. this is the time of year that happens the most frequently. I have had mares that I had to keep on medication to prevent coming into season because they would just flat canter along.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #21
chadk66

Mike Smith absolutely did the right thing on Shared Belief. Any hint of an issue with a horse like that and you pull the plug. Had he not done that you could possibly have seen the last race for that horse. I know Mike personally and I can guarantee you he has only the horses best interest at stake. Sorry to tell you guys but the players are coming in second in these circumstances.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #22
Grits

SRU, on Saturday, you posted this thread two hours before Shared Belief ran (sorta) in the Charles Town Classic.

I'm now convinced, THIS is the greatest mush of all time!!

Shared Belief, the top thoroughbred in the world, was 10 for 11. And YOU took him out.

P.S. Please, don't post who you like, two hours prior to the Derby.

Meanwhile, there's always pro basketball.

Quote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like there are dozens and dozens of horses around the country on a daily basis that are just "eased" and barely finish or don't finish. I'm not talking about horses who are seriously injured, just horses who get 'exhausted" and the jock wraps up and the horse loses by 30, 40 or more lengths.

I don't remember this many "eased" horses due to "being slow" in the past.

Has it always been this way and i'm just noticing it now?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
SRU, on Saturday, you posted this thread two hours before Shared Belief ran (sorta) in the Charles Town Classic.

I'm now convinced, THIS is the greatest mush of all time!!

Shared Belief, the top thoroughbred in the world, was 10 for 11. And YOU took him out.

P.S. Please, don't post who you like, two hours prior to the Derby.

Meanwhile, there's always pro basketball.

Its a pretty good mush i have to say! As far as pro basketball goes, i'm actually forbidden to select the OKC Thunder in any games, i know you've been following in and cashing in on my picks, but you will notice no OKC games. I was "fired" from ever releasing them. I accept full responsibility for KD's and RW's injuries, i must have mushed them telepathically!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #24
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Its a pretty good mush i have to say! As far as pro basketball goes, i'm actually forbidden to select the OKC Thunder in any games, i know you've been following in and cashing in on my picks, but you will notice no OKC games. I was "fired" from ever releasing them. I accept full responsibility for KD's and RW's injuries, i must have mushed them telepathically!
It was a world class mush!!!

I've never bet on basketball in my life!! And, nah, I'm not too much for watching the pros. (Their playoffs are way too long!!) The only names I know on OKC's team are Durant and Westbrook.... Westbrook was in my hotel while I was in NYC in February, and honestly, I wouldn't have recognized him had I been standing beside him in the elevator. KD, yes; Kobe, yes; LeBron, yes; these I would have known, but nope, not too many others.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #25
breezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I doubt 'a little soft tissue swelling' will change his plans, and take it as a polite way of saying the horse is fine.

Of course the first attention is on the wellbeing of the horse, as it should be, but how many times does this have to happen before somebody investigates the obvious?
per Jim Rome @jimrome · 1h 1 hour ago

Shared Belief has a non-displaced fracture on the point of the right hip. He is bright, alert and doing well.

it would appear that, at least in this case, the jockey was correct in easing the horse.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #26
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezing
per Jim Rome @jimrome · 1h 1 hour ago

Shared Belief has a non-displaced fracture on the point of the right hip. He is bright, alert and doing well.

it would appear that, at least in this case, the jockey was correct in easing the horse.
at least in this case? I hate to break it to you but in "every" case that a jockey pulls a horse up it's the right thing to do. He's the one on the animal, he's the one that decides. I'd rather have him be wrong about an ailment pulling a horse up than I would having him whipping the shit out of the horse and snap both legs off at the 1/8th pole. I've seen that happen up close and personal and that's not something you ever forget.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #27
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
when I trained there were a fair number. you see it mostly in state bred races in states where the quality isn't very good.

The worst thing a jock can see is his odds as he is coming out of the paddock..Many of these jocks if they aren't going to be in the money tend to wrap up on horses,You see many of these riders not riding to the wire..Lots of this going on and the stewards are not doing anything about it.I have seen a jock ease a horse get it beat 30 lengths and you change the rider and next start horse either wins or hits the board.JMO
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
...and snap both legs off at the 1/8th pole. I've seen that happen up close and personal and that's not something you ever forget.
Me too...agreed
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #29
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
The worst thing a jock can see is his odds as he is coming out of the paddock..Many of these jocks if they aren't going to be in the money tend to wrap up on horses,You see many of these riders not riding to the wire..Lots of this going on and the stewards are not doing anything about it.I have seen a jock ease a horse get it beat 30 lengths and you change the rider and next start horse either wins or hits the board.JMO
I can't say that I recall seeing a jock ease a horse up if they are going to finish top three unless easing it up isn't going to change the finish order.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #30
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
I can't say that I recall seeing a jock ease a horse up if they are going to finish top three unless easing it up isn't going to change the finish order.

Well you need to watch these jocks at GP!!!!!...Many dont ride to the wire,Im not saying this because Im some kind of Idiot!!..
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply