Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #16
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Roughly 1:10 and 4

so sub 1:10.4 you consider fast or deadly? then do you have a moderate range before slow
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
menifee

Since they have gone to the point system, they've eliminated all the sprinters trying to stretch out. My instinct is that we will have more moderate paces going forward than in years past. The exception to that was PM who they put blinkers on and became rank.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #18
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420
so sub 1:10.4 you consider fast or deadly? then do you have a moderate range before slow
Anything under 1:10 is suicidal.

Around 1:11 horses can hang. Anything above that, speed will hold.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #19
nads1420
Veteran

What about the fact that Firing Line went the first 6 in 1:09 flat in Sunland then finished at 1:47.2 and didnt really look like he was weakening much... granted against no one.. but im just talking vs teh clock.. thats gotta be a plus for him, no?

Last edited by nads1420; 04-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
Since they have gone to the point system, they've eliminated all the sprinters trying to stretch out. My instinct is that we will have more moderate paces going forward than in years past. The exception to that was PM who they put blinkers on and became rank.
Yep.

PM was just crazy. I was in near tears when he was on the lead at 1:09 and change holding my WPS ticket on him.

One of the most absurd Derby rides I've ever seen. I figured maybe blinkers was a good thing, and then having Mike Smith on board is always a bonus, right?

At least I got paid in the Belmont.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #21
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
What about the fact that Firing Line went the first 6 in 1:09 flat in Sunland then finished at 1:47.2 and didnt really look like he was weakening much... granted against no one.. but im just talking vs teh clock.. thats gotta be a plus for him, no?
Firing Line is a serious contender. As is his nemesis in Dortmund.

As for Sunland Park? Not gonna pay much attention to those numbers. It is known as a fast track favoring speed.

Either way, FL ran very well that day. For me, FL's works over the track in Louisville will be one of the more important horses I'll be paying attention to. He will either take to it, or not. If he does take to it, look out.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #22
Matt Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7
I wouldn't attribute last year's KD solely to pace. No, I believe that last year's crop featured colts that had bona fide 10f capabilities, and even decency at 12f.

I'm not sold on this crop. I think it tends to be more like the two previous to the 2014 guys.
I don't really agree. Aside from aforementioned running styles, this crop seems better than last year to me...for the distance. Considering Wildcat Red, Samraat, et al. I don't know, of course, but the race shape seemed more clear last year.
Matt Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #23
f2tornado

Dortmund always seems to run around 1:10.4. That horse seems to have one gear only and it's full speed ahead. Most of these probably cant hang with him so I figure 1:10 and change is gonna be a rough pace estimate. He's gonna slow down a little late but probably not off a cliff if the SA Derby is any guide. I'm thinking stalkers over deep closers if that's how it shakes out.
f2tornado is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 AM   #24
Huddy Goodjob

Don't be surprised if you see Standford on the lead...and stick around for 4th. Shackleford style. First thing I thought of after watching the LA Derby.
Huddy Goodjob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 AM   #25
Some_One

Quote:
Sunland is hard as a rock with little resistance.

Edit:
Just for fun, did a little Brohammer style %Early numbers for a couple of contenders in their prep

Firing Line 52.54%
Materiality 52.37%
Dortmund 52.04%
American Pharaorh 51.71%
Frosted 49.66%

So it appears your assertion that FL wasn't weakening much appears to be wrong.

Last edited by Some_One; 04-17-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply