Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
OCF

Frosted

While we continue to decompress from AP's AR Derby ...

What's not to like about Frosted's Wood Memorial? He closed in a dominant manner into a dead honest pace (TimeformUS has a 100 for the 3/4 pace).

Per my calc's he had the fastest final 3/8 of any horse in the 9 furlong preps, and again, that was into an honest pace.

Maybe he breaks the Wood Memorial's jinx?
OCF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF

What's not to like about Frosted's Wood Memorial? He closed in a dominant manner into a dead honest pace (TimeformUS has a 100 for the 3/4 pace).

Per my calc's he had the fastest final 3/8 of any horse in the 9 furlong preps, and again, that was into an honest pace.

More like a drought than a jinx.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF

I hope not, or I will be trashing all my tickets.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
nads1420
Veteran

to play devils advocate i will say this against him

Regardless of pace he only beat a horse that will be a 40-1 shot by 2 lengths for only his second win. The other was a maiden win which it took him 3 shots to break.... AP r Big dort puts 10 lengths on Tencendur
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
OCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420

Regardless of pace he only beat a horse that will be a 40-1 shot by 2 lengths for only his second win. The other was a maiden win which it took him 3 shots to break.... AP r Big dort puts 10 lengths on Tencendur
Granted, but the prep season was such a chalkfest that horses that beat well-regarded horses, much less well-regarded fields, are few and far between.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
nads1420
Veteran

he did get smoked by Upstart who is an average horse and couldnt close out a joke of a field back in November in the Remsen
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
SecretAgentMan

Quote:

Frosted wasn't in the best of health, he had breathing problems, & still came in 4th by 4 lengths in the FOY vs Upstart.......he was gonna beat Upstart easily in that race if he didn't have the breathing problem & was on a dull & sandy deep track.

Good luck betting on AP & Dortmund.......
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
boys at tosconova

Quote:
he did get smoked by Upstart who is an average horse and couldnt close out a joke of a field back in November in the Remsen
seems like there was an excuse for that..albeit there are excuses for quite a bit of stuff when you want there to be one. his hard fought win was a lil' unexpected for me. but does put credence in the excuse. but if you want to make a case for him in the derby, you really have to make a case for the warhorse of king charlemagne as well. and i don't think many will do that. i wouldn't use one w/o the other...trherefor i prolly won't use either
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
OCF

Quote:
That's a different approach than we usually we see - toss the good race rather than the bad ones.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #10
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
Frosted wasn't in the best of health, he had breathing problems, & still came in 4th by 4 lengths in the FOY vs Upstart.......he was gonna beat Upstart easily in that race if he didn't have the breathing problem & was on a dull & sandy deep track.

Good luck betting on AP & Dortmund.......

we are all just assuming of this breathing problem tho right? In the fountain of youth its more obvious then the holy bull.... i guess... but who really knows.. again i do like Frosted but this time of year I like to play devils advocate to make people think... namely myself...lol
Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #11
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
we are all just assuming of this breathing problem tho right? In the fountain of youth its more obvious then the holy bull.... i guess... but who really knows.. again i do like Frosted but this time of year I like to play devils advocate to make people think... namely myself...lol

The trainer suggested it was his breathing, so hence the throat surgery? Then he made sure to change other things like the jockey, shaved a bit off the blinkers so the horse has more of a view of the track.

Alysheba received the same surgery before the derby as well.......he went on to win the KD.

The Wood drought is somewhat of a concern tho......then again, all trends were made to be broken.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM   #12
f2tornado

Joel Rosario is a huge plus. When in doubt, bet on previous Derby winning jockeys.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #13
letswastemoney

I would not place too much emphasis on what Frosted did as a presser, if he's going to go for his Wood Memorial strategy.

Sometimes horses are completely different with a change in tactics.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 AM   #14
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCF

You can never discount a horse that wins a race. "Who did he beat?", the detractors will say. He beat who he was supposed to. Now, I wouldn't put too much credence into his final fractions as that race was run like a turf race - plod around for 3/4 and then gun for the last 1/4. I will discount the speed figure he earned in that race, but by how much is the question.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #15
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:

Started on the far outside and ran against a huge bias that day finishing second. 11 hole at 1 1/8 at AQU isn't the best post there.

Upstart is not an average horse. Migliore has called him his derby horse since January.

Last edited by Tall One; 04-15-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply