Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
cnollfan

Pletcher is 1 for 40 in the Derby and they weren't all longshots either. There are elements of his training style that suggest the above stat might be more than a statistical fluke. Precocious horses trained to be fast early, building their reputation with big margin, big figure, easy trip wins versus overmatched foes.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #32
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan
Pletcher is 1 for 40 in the Derby and they weren't all longshots either. There are elements of his training style that suggest the above stat might be more than a statistical fluke. Precocious horses trained to be fast early, building their reputation with big margin, big figure, easy trip wins versus overmatched foes.

Pletcher is awesome in the preps before the KD, but when these same horses step into the gate in May, they dont do well......you stated it very well that Pletcher focuses on training his horses to go fast early on in the race. Super Saver had fast forwardly speed as well but rated nicely in the Arkansas derby going into the derby, lucky for Pletcher, SS was able to rate easily.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #33
SecretAgentMan

International Star wins 3 in a row going into the KD........

Mr Z is officially a toss out for me as is every other horse from the LA derby except for the beast Int Star
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #34
SecretAgentMan

ItsAKnockout is s complete throw out & so is every other horse in the Florida derby except for Upstart & Materiality.......I'm.so glad Upstart came in 2nd, looking to get 15-1 or better if I decide to play him in the KD.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #35
Secondbest

I don't think the derby winner ran today. None of these could break 1:50. Lets see What the big 3 AP, CD and Dortmond can do next week.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
SecretAgentMan

Last time the Florida derby was run this slow was 1990 by Unbridled, 1:52 & change in Fla derby......he went on to win the Kentucky Derby.

Don't fall in live with the times too much, the Gulfstream track has been running slow & dull all year.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #37
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
I don't think the derby winner ran today. None of these could break 1:50. Lets see What the big 3 AP, CD and Dortmond can do next week.

I think the derby winner ran today, but I will keep an eye out next 2 weeks for a horse to jump out & impress me & I'm not talking about the favs.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #38
Secondbest

Lets wait and see What happens.Its Still early but 152 is real slow.The La derby had a 114 6 f. Home in 36 +. Hard for me to like but like I said lets wait till next week.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #39
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Lets wait and see What happens.Its Still early but 152 is real slow.The La derby had a 114 6 f. Home in 36 +. Hard for me to like but like I said lets wait till next week.
Rule #1, 2, or 3 (I forget ) - You should love a horse that can close on a slow pace.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #40
SecretAgentMan

Quote:

I actually like International Star as of now.......its between him & Upstart for me as of now, but I will wait & see if anything pops up next 2 weeks. I do not like Mubtaahij at all or Dubai Sky.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #41
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT
Rule #1, 2, or 3 (I forget ) - You should love a horse that can close on a slow pace.
Not if the leader is gasping for air.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #42
f2tornado

Indeed. I was not that impressed with the performances today. Three monster preps next week followed by what looks to be a yawn Ark. No rush.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #43
PaceMasterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
I actually like International Star as of now.......its between him & Upstart for me as of now, but I will wait & see if anything pops up next 2 weeks. I do not like Mubtaahij at all or Dubai Sky.
How can you like Upstart? Materiality chewed him up and spit him out and it was only Materiality's third race.
PaceMasterT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #44
SecretAgentMan

Forgot to mention that International Star has the best breeding of any horse in this years crop.

Last edited by SecretAgentMan; 03-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #45
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceMasterT
How can you like Upstart? Materiality chewed him up and spit him out and it was only Materiality's third race.

Lol, if he beat Upstart by 5 lengths, I would say he chewed him up & spit him out, not even close. Upstart was right on his hip the whole way around, Materiality will never get an easy trip like that in the KD.

If you think Rich had Upstart fully cranked, you're kidding yourself.