Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #61
picojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Could someone please fill us in on the circumstances on how Shared Belief was privately purchased after his maiden win in his racing debut?
Check the story here on the selling of Shared Belief
http://www.breederscup.com/article/s...up-immortality
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #62
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Shared Belief is no Lava Man.
True.....he may turn out to be better.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #63
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I couldn't believe he held on for second given that he was put into a drive on the turn. I'm not sure how much it says about Moreno versus what it says about the quality of the others that nobody could pass him.
Says something about both Moreno and the field. Moreno is a tough grinder to pass, not that first time he's shown this, the winner is just better than him. Its not Shared Beliefs fault that the field is weak. There was a horse that was 1 for 66 in a grade 1 and several optional horses. SB doesn't scare any one away because checks for the minor placing's are wide open. California gets full fields for a lot of these races but unfortunately there is usually only 2 good horses in the full field. They ran 1rst and 2nd yesterday, and Moreno did all the "dirty work" in that race....he was tons the second best even if he gets third, at least he took his only chance of winning the race, the rest are lucky to be Grade 3 on dirt and a few others did not even belong.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 01:40 PM   #64
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Let's hope not...this horse is good for racing, and his high profile owner only helps his appeal.
People will come see this horse.
Wish they would campaign him like Cigar or Skip Away...travel!

The above two horses went just about everywhere...NY, Cali, Suffolk Downs, you name it.
Met Mile next main target for Shared Belief

SHARED BELIEF is getting ready to take his act on the road. His trainer and co-owner, Jerry Hollendorfer, said the $1.5 million Metropolitan Mile on Belmont Stakes Day June 6 at Belmont Park was "right on the radar" as the next major objective for Shared Belief, who won his 10th race in 11 starts on Saturday in the Santa Anita Handicap.

"The Santa Anita Handicap was a point race," Hollendorfer said Sunday morning at Santa Anita. "We got to our point race and accomplished that. The point race now would be the Met Mile."

Hollendorfer said the Oaklawn Handicap next month in Arkansas was being considered as a possible next start for Shared Belief. Regardless, it looks like his next start, or maybe his next two, will be outside California, where he has raced exclusively thus far.

Hollendorfer said Shared Belief would return to Golden Gate Fields on Monday to train, the schedule he has used since last year.

http://live.drf.com/
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #65
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Thanks for the update on Riva Ridge; it has been a long time and recalling his race record is somewhat "fuzzy."
NP, also Secretariat won at Arlington and Woodbine(on grass) after he won the triple crown.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #66
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Could someone please fill us in on the circumstances on how Shared Belief was privately purchased after his maiden win in his racing debut?

Did Shared Belief defeat a Jerry Hollendorfer-trained horse that Hollendorfer loved that day, which is why he bought in the syndicate?

Is this Jim Rome's first ever racehorse?

I know winning loves company but was the large horde in the winner's circle all comprised of syndicate members?

This is for CJ and other speed figure devotees: was Shared Belief's effort and numbers in that first race extremely exceptional to warrant a $250,000 sale and signal a future Grade I (and H of Y) type runner?

Thanks everyone.
I don't think there was any mysterious backstory to the sale of the horse as a 2-year-old. The horse trained at Golden Gate and won his debut by 7, so I imagine everyone on the grounds was pretty impressed by him, and this group made an offer to buy. Turned out to be a great move but plenty of times something happens to the horse or it just doesn't pan out.

Rome has owned horses since the mid-2000s or so. He also was one of the owners of Mizdirection, who won the Breeders Cup Turf Sprint in 2012 and 2013, so he's owned good horses before.

And yes, that's a large syndicate with a lot of part-owners.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 02:43 PM   #67
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
Met Mile next main target for Shared Belief

SHARED BELIEF is getting ready to take his act on the road. His trainer and co-owner, Jerry Hollendorfer, said the $1.5 million Metropolitan Mile on Belmont Stakes Day June 6 at Belmont Park was "right on the radar" as the next major objective for Shared Belief, who won his 10th race in 11 starts on Saturday in the Santa Anita Handicap.

"The Santa Anita Handicap was a point race," Hollendorfer said Sunday morning at Santa Anita. "We got to our point race and accomplished that. The point race now would be the Met Mile."

Hollendorfer said the Oaklawn Handicap next month in Arkansas was being considered as a possible next start for Shared Belief. Regardless, it looks like his next start, or maybe his next two, will be outside California, where he has raced exclusively thus far.

Hollendorfer said Shared Belief would return to Golden Gate Fields on Monday to train, the schedule he has used since last year.

http://live.drf.com/
Very happy to be wrong, one of my favorite races every year.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #68
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Very happy to be wrong, one of my favorite races every year.
I'm somewhere between surprised and shocked. I thought he'd run in the Californian and then the Gold Cup. I guess the money in the Oaklawn & Met may be lucrative enough to consider shipping. If the money is the priority though, you have to wonder why he's not going to Dubai. He would have been a huge favorite for a lot more money than all 4 races combined and you could still freshen him up afterwards to gear up for a peak late season run into the Breeder's Cup.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-08-2015 at 03:08 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #69
letswastemoney

Traveling is a good idea if they want HOTY.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #70
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
NP, also Secretariat won at Arlington and Woodbine(on grass) after he won the triple crown.
And Big Red won at Garden State and the Laurel Futurity as juvenile
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #71
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I'm somewhere between surprised and shocked. I thought he'd run in the Californian and then the Gold Cup. I guess the money in the Oaklawn & Met may be lucrative enough to consider shipping. If the money is the priority though, you have to wonder why he's not going to Dubai. He would have been a huge favorite for a lot more money than all 4 races combined and you could still freshen him up afterwards to gear up for a peak late season run into the Breeder's Cup.
with met mile, it isnt just the money. The prestige is immense and east coast fans would love to see him, especially with that beautiful stride of his ( reminds me of AP Indy) he would win a lot of hearts. If there is a TC contender this year, then SB may not evoke as much attention, but the Metropolitan Handicap is still a flagship race for the ny circuit!
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #72
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVGfan
Check the story here on the selling of Shared Belief
http://www.breederscup.com/article/s...up-immortality
Thank you for the link, TVGfan. I appreciate it.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #73
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
I don't think there was any mysterious backstory to the sale of the horse as a 2-year-old. The horse trained at Golden Gate and won his debut by 7, so I imagine everyone on the grounds was pretty impressed by him, and this group made an offer to buy. Turned out to be a great move but plenty of times something happens to the horse or it just doesn't pan out.

Rome has owned horses since the mid-2000s or so. He also was one of the owners of Mizdirection, who won the Breeders Cup Turf Sprint in 2012 and 2013, so he's owned good horses before.

And yes, that's a large syndicate with a lot of part-owners.
Thanks for responding but I wasn't looking for anything mysterious about the sale per se. i was just was curious.

And yes, I also forgot that Jim Rome owned horses previously, especially Mizdirection.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #74
lamboguy

the horse is a gelding, so whatever move they make has something to do with the money. there is a quarantine in Dubai and the horses usually ship there 2 weeks ahead of time. from what i saw yesterday of SHARED BELIEF is that the horse always worked 7 or 8 days before the race and always at Golden Gate and then they ship the horse to Santa Anita or Los Al. that might be the secret to the horse, work on synthetic and run on dirt, so they might not want to change things up just to get their hands on more money, it might not be worth the risk for them.

i am just guessing here, but he wouldn't have to much of a problem with Dubai if he runs the same as he did the last 2 races.

in any event, this is one exciting horse and i hope and pray he stays sound for many years.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #75
classhandicapper

The Met is one of my all time favorite races. I'd be thrilled to see him run in NY. I've loved him from the start.

The Met should come up a LOT tougher than the SA Handicap. Heck, it might even be tougher than the Dubai Cup. It will almost certainly be run at a much faster pace than anything he's seen so far. It could be a tough spot to ship, shorten up, and face some very fast and very good horses. Should be a great test.