Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
cutchemist42

Derby Trial renamed, moved to KDerby day

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/sites/k...20Schedule.pdf
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
AlBundy33

I understand wanting to name a race in Pat Day's honor, but this is silly. Not to add that this is nothing more than what NYRA did with moving the Met Mile to the Belmont Stakes card.

Also, it's another way to create more handle for the race after last year's fiasco to begin the meet. (Higher takeout, the Turcotte ordeal, etc.)
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
RacingFan1992

History always takes a back seat to money. That is always how it goes. They used to have the Handicap Triple with the Metropolitan, Brooklyn, and Suburban but now they screwed up the order and bunched 2/3 of the series on the same day. The same thing happened to the Strub Series. They got rid of the San Fernando. They also picked apart the Filly Triple Crown. All together the remaining counterparts are nothing more than a bunch of races that are between 7 and 9 furlongs that dont have the impact they once had.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBundy33
I understand wanting to name a race in Pat Day's honor, but this is silly. Not to add that this is nothing more than what NYRA did with moving the Met Mile to the Belmont Stakes card.
Martin Panza nows works for CDI ? When you consolidate all the races of prestige onto a few big days sure you'll increase the handle for those few days, but what about the individual days for the rest of the meet ?
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
AlBundy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
Martin Panza nows works for CDI ? When you consolidate all the races of prestige onto a few big days sure you'll increase the handle for those few days, but what about the individual days for the rest of the meet ?
I think most of us know what the answer is. Other than Derby and Oaks day, it will suck and continue to do so. Not to add that the Trial was the kickoff for the Churchill meet. Now it's just another generic, faceless racing card.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
RacingFan1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
I think the racing associations should respect tradition such as a series that might apear minor but if they are worried about money it wouldnt hurt them to promote races such as the Handicap Triple and offer a bonus or something. I know I am holding onto tradition which is a losing battle when it comes to money.
RacingFan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The Derby Trial had become more of a Preakness prep than a Derby prep. I kind of liked that, too bad. Churchill sure makes some iffy decisions when it comes to racing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

wasn't this a "last chance race' for the derby?

not anymore................
Old 02-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #9
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The Derby Trial had become more of a Preakness prep than a Derby prep. I kind of liked that, too bad. Churchill sure makes some iffy decisions when it comes to racing.
CDI management’s responsibility is not to provide a prep for The Preakness--their charge is to make moolah for their stockholders, and beaucoup of it! The added handle will more than cover the purse boost. And a race with ten extra well heeled Owners now having horses running on Derby Day means maybe 80 added sales of seats on Millionaires Row:

http://www.derbydeals.com/tickets/derby-dining-tickets

80 x $3,750=$300,000 + the juice (pun intended) on what you can be sure are grotesquely over-priced drinks not included in the $3,750 ticket price.

I’m not a shareholder, but if I was I’d say “Brilliant!
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
RXB

The last Derby Trial victor to win a Triple Crown race was Creme Fraiche in 1985. And unless I'm mistaken, looking at the others I believe the only one since to make an impact in a TC race was Cherokee Run (second in 1993 Preakness). Really, the Derby Trial had nothing to do anymore with the Ky Derby or the TC as a whole.

Even my unrepentant disdain for the carpetbaggers at CDI can't work up any particular reason to criticize this move.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
RXB

Lesson: check first, post second. Alydeed and Macho Again also 2nd in the Preakness after winning Derby Trial.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Lesson: check first, post second. Alydeed and Macho Again also 2nd in the Preakness after winning Derby Trial.
If memory serves a horse won the Derby Trial a couple years ago and finished 4th in the Derby itself. No a bad fete.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #13
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
If memory serves a horse won the Derby Trial a couple years ago and finished 4th in the Derby itself. No a bad fete.
I think that was Don't Get Mad in the Giacomo Derby.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley
I think that was Don't Get Mad in the Giacomo Derby.
Yes, 4th beaten 3.5 lengths (2.5 behind 3rd finisher) coming from way back in the Giacomo meltdown race. Not exactly a great accomplishment.

Let's face it, since Cherokee Run none of those horses have been genuinely competitive in the Derby or Preakness. Macho Again finished second only because someone from that abysmal group behind Big Brown had to be second. The Derby Trial long ago ceased to be relevant to the Triple Crown.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Lesson: check first, post second.
My personal experience indicates it more efficient to have others do my fact checking for me. During the same time period that is being accomplished--gratis, no less--I can be formulating Cholly's next wildly inaccurate assertion.
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: