Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 01-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
cutchemist42

Read Brohamer's Modern Pace Handicapping, confused about one element for beaten Ls

Interesting read, even if I never do my own speed/pacce figures. However, I was confused by one calculation and tried to find an example of how he would do it.

Horse

1st fraction/2furlongs: 22.8 and 1.5 lengths behind
2nd fraction/4 furlongs: 44 and now in the lead by 1 length

I understand if horses are in the lead, they are calculated as 0 beaten lengths. So when Tom does this calculation, he would not use a gained length of 2.5 lengths for the calculation, simply a 0?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He would use a gain of 1.5 lengths.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, 1.5
He gained 1.5 lengths on the pace of the race, and from then on was the pace of the race, so no matter how much he opened up, he only gained the 1.5 lengths.

If he goes from 1st by 1 to 1st by 10, he has no gains as he was the pace of the race at both calls.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Easiest way to think about it is by using time.

If we assume .16 second per length at the pace call, he went 22.8 +.24 for the 1.5 lengths for a total of 23.04. He was leading at the half, so he went 44. His second quarter time would be 20.96.

You'd get the same result the other way. 44 - 22.8 = 21.2 - the .24 for 1.5 lengths gained, or again 20.96.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42
Interesting read, even if I never do my own speed/pacce figures. However, I was confused by one calculation and tried to find an example of how he would do it.

Horse

1st fraction/2furlongs: 22.8 and 1.5 lengths behind
2nd fraction/4 furlongs: 44 and now in the lead by 1 length

I understand if horses are in the lead, they are calculated as 0 beaten lengths. So when Tom does this calculation, he would not use a gained length of 2.5 lengths for the calculation, simply a 0?
The beaten lengths metric although widely used today is an outdated. concept and iis still used today because the major providers of racing data have yet to update their data collection process with today's technology.

Having said that and using DRF/Equibase data time per length Will always be a guesstimate at best because distance is not measured by DRF/Equibase.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
cutchemist42

So also to confirm

A horse who is 4 lengths back at the 2nd call, and closes andwins by a length has 4 lengths gained put into those formulas as well?

Last edited by cutchemist42; 01-21-2015 at 04:51 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Delta Cone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42
So also to confirm

A horse who is 4 lengths back at the 2nd call, and closes andwins by a length has 4 lengths gained put into those formulas as well?
Yes. Don't over complicate this. If a horse is in first place at any call, the beaten lengths number is zero. Always. It doesn't matter how far ahead he is.

So, if a horse moves from 10 lengths back to take the lead, he gained 10 lengths (10 minus 0=10).

If he moves from 5 lengths back to take the lead, he gained 5 lengths (5 minus 0=5)...and so on.
Delta Cone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
The beaten lengths metric although widely used today is an outdated. concept and iis still used today because the major providers of racing data have yet to update their data collection process with today's technology.

Having said that and using DRF/Equibase data time per length Will always be a guesstimate at best because distance is not measured by DRF/Equibase.
I'm pretty sure at least 99% of serious horseplayers know that by now.

I'll add this too, even once times are given for each horse at each call, I still think there is a place for beaten lengths. Sure, we can say Horse A ran the half in 45.14 and Horse B in 46.12, but that is tough to visualize. I'd like to see accurate times and a beaten lengths number in the PPs.

Last edited by cj; 01-21-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
fmolf

If you are a true believer in the herd mentality and the importance of how a race is run in relation to the herd ....then the old time trainers are right to say"time only matters in jail"
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
If you are a true believer in the herd mentality and the importance of how a race is run in relation to the herd ....then the old time trainers are right to say"time only matters in jail"
There is enough anecdotal evidence out there, to prove -- or disprove -- ANY handicapping theory.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And enough hard data to suggest nothing readily available to the public out performs good speed figures.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
Old time trainers probably didn't make much money at the windows.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Old time trainers probably didn't make much money at the windows.
Are you serious? I certainly respect your figures and won't argue that today having accurate pace and speed figures are a must, but wouldn't you agree the game was far different before the "Information Age"?

Even as recently as 1990 when Unbridled ran a slow time in the Florida Derby, I recall Carl Nafzger being quoted as "time only counts when you're in jail".

Seems to me at least some of the old time trainers, with lowly win percentages half of today's norm, must have done pretty well at the windows.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
Are you serious? I certainly respect your figures and won't argue that today having accurate pace and speed figures are a must, but wouldn't you agree the game was far different before the "Information Age"?

Even as recently as 1990 when Unbridled ran a slow time in the Florida Derby, I recall Carl Nafzger being quoted as "time only counts when you're in jail".

Seems to me at least some of the old time trainers, with lowly win percentages half of today's norm, must have done pretty well at the windows.
I am serious. People have been making pretty good speed figures a long time before they became popularized by Andy Beyer. I have a book that is detailed in this piece:

https://www.thorograph.com/archive/h...%20lesson.html

People that said "time only counts when you're in jail" probably didn't understand why times didn't seem to matter, but I guarantee you some of the biggest gamblers did.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I am serious. People have been making pretty good speed figures a long time before they became popularized by Andy Beyer. I have a book that is detailed in this piece:

https://www.thorograph.com/archive/h...%20lesson.html

People that said "time only counts when you're in jail" probably didn't understand why times didn't seem to matter, but I guarantee you some of the biggest gamblers did.
Interesting read. That book, the 1941 print edition, is available on Amazon for a cool $1000.

I think we're looking at this differently. I would agree that professional gamblers would have a much higher vested interest in figures, and the race times used for calculating them.

But I would argue that trainers, making wagers on the stock they train, could do all right by using other factors, most importantly the intent of the connections (at least in cheaper races). And with horses racing more often in the good old days, it was also probably easier to know the class hierarchy at the local track as well.

Oh, and while I agree it would be nice to have accurate times and beaten lengths in the PPs, wouldn't that cut into your business?