Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
rlopez781

It is almost the same story...When I was in Manila,Philippines 30 years ago,there was a huge bakery store across our house that sells this hot (pan de sal) bread that Filipinos love to eat every morning or all day.They were selling it at a huge profit because the public were buying.Along came an old Chinese guy and opened a very small bakery store close by and started making the same hot bread and sells it at a lot lower price.There was a line every morning and the people were happy.The huge bakery store saw what was going on but was too proud and did nothing.Anyway there were still some that were buying.The Chinese guy became rich and in 2 years he opened 20 more small bakeries all over the city.The huge bakery went out of business in a year.
I don't think Brisnet is going out of business soon but because of greed they don't want to look at the bigger picture...
rlopez781 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
EJXD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlopez781
It is almost the same story...When I was in Manila,Philippines 30 years ago,there was a huge bakery store across our house that sells this hot (pan de sal) bread that Filipinos love to eat every morning or all day.They were selling it at a huge profit because the public were buying.Along came an old Chinese guy and opened a very small bakery store close by and started making the same hot bread and sells it at a lot lower price.There was a line every morning and the people were happy.The huge bakery store saw what was going on but was too proud and did nothing.Anyway there were still some that were buying.The Chinese guy became rich and in 2 years he opened 20 more small bakeries all over the city.The huge bakery went out of business in a year.
I don't think Brisnet is going out of business soon but because of greed they don't want to look at the bigger picture...
You didn't really need an example half a world away for that! Microsoft and Apple do it all the time!

EdD
EJXD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
rlopez781

EdD,

Excuse old people like me because when we talk,we give examples and experiences of long ago and far away.But hopefully,our message is still there.
rlopez781 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #19
DeltaLover

Overpriced racing data, represent a more general problem for the whole industry affecting the evolution of the game itself. Racing officials seem to not having a clue, of how important it is for the expansion of the game, to provide low priced (or even free) making them available to the public, using modern means of distribution, including web services, cloud based repos etc.

The myopic view of keeping related data expensive and IP protected it hurts both the data companies and the industry itself.

As far as the specific BRIS plan, I have to agree with others, that it is simply a joke! For example someone who is following 4 circuits will have almost nothing to gain from this 'deal', especially since it does not even covers the result files.

One other point I would like to make, has to do with old data (going more then two years back), that should have been distributed completely free of charge to encourage people who want to get it to computerized handicapping and to attract players from the newer generations.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
Flysofree
Veteran

What I think maybe they don't get is that horseplayers need to have some money over to actually bet on the races at their sister site, TwinSpires. Buying information for information's sake is not where it is...
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
Light
Veteran

This is the case of advertising $1 each or 10 for $10. Unless you are mathematically challenged, you can see there is no difference.

But I do appreciate that Bris still offers the Ultimates free at TS. I think if Bris offered some data files for free for $X of play at TS, that may work for both players and Bris.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #22
EJXD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
As far as the specific BRIS plan, I have to agree with others, that it is simply a joke! For example someone who is following 4 circuits will have almost nothing to gain from this 'deal', especially since it does not even covers the result files.
The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
One other point I would like to make, has to do with old data (going more then two years back), that should have been distributed completely free of charge to encourage people who want to get it to computerized handicapping and to attract players from the newer generations.
An issue here for better or worse that Brisnet (and others) simply licenses the data from Equibase, and our license does not allow us to "give away the store".
EJXD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJXD2
The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you..
Really?

$600 / month???? 20 cards per day or 140 per week??? Maybe somebody is doing it, but clearly he represents an extreme case....

In my case, following three major circuits, I average anywhere from 12 to 15 card per week and I think something like this should be the norm... Still, my action (including the results,) adds up to over $100 per week which I think is way too high..

Monopolies suck
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #24
DeltaLover

Quote:
An issue here for better or worse that Brisnet (and others) simply licenses the data from Equibase, and our license does not allow us to "give away the store".
This is a completely different story..

I repeat:

Monopolies suck
Old 12-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
JimG

Quote:
The purpose of this plan is to give people who want unlimited data an option of spending $125/month instead of $350-$600/month (depending on the month). If you're playing 2-3 tracks/day each week and have no desire to access every track then this is not the plan for you.
So you are trying to reach the guy that currently spends $350-$600 a month and reduce his expenses to $125 a month? Sounds like a business plan. What about all the people spending $20-$50 a month or nothing at all because they currently have better options with Trackmaster, Post Time Daily, or HDW? Why not try to acquire some of that business?

Quote:
Cry me a fricken river. You guys sold unlimited procaps files for years (including results) at $59 (not including a 20% discount if you played though brisbet) per month. You were not losing money on that or you would not have been doing it. Many of us horse players are also business men and we understand the need for profit. We also understand quasi-monopolistic greed.

Last edited by JimG; 12-11-2014 at 04:10 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Cry me a fricken river. You guys sold unlimited procaps files for years (including results) at $59 (not including a 20% discount if you played though brisbet) per month. You were not losing money on that or you would not have been doing it. Many of us horse players are also business men and we understand the need for profit. We also understand quasi-monopolistic greed.
Those were the days. Nothing but me and my 59 bucks worth of data and Equisim was the only game in town........

Give em hell Jim! Hurry up too! Before they raise the price of coffee at Juan Valdez park! Nothing's been right in this damn game since Laffit and Eddie D. Moved on !
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #27
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Those were the days. Nothing but me and my 59 bucks worth of data and Equisim was the only game in town........

Give em hell Jim! Hurry up too! Before they raise the price of coffee at Juan Valdez park! Nothing's been right in this damn game since Laffit and Eddie D. Moved on !
No. I'm done. I've said all I have to publicly say on this "offer". The game we love has taken a downturn despite some real technological innovations (high speed internet, computers, hd video, etc.) It is a sad state of affairs at this time. I hope it improves. Fingers crossed.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #28
SAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
So you are trying to reach the guy that currently spends $350-$600 a month and reduce his expenses to $125 a month? Sounds like a business plan. What about all the people spending $20-$50 a month or nothing at all because they currently have better options with Trackmaster, Post Time Daily, or HDW? Why not try to acquire some of that business?
This is exactly right. You're not trying to attract the people that are already spending over $125 per month, you should be trying to get the people spending $50 or $60 per month or people that are getting unlimited files somewhere else. So offering a plan that is not competitively priced is not a good business move, imho. Also, you might attract more business if you include the results files in the plan as well.
SAL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #29
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Once Timeform US comes out with a data file with unlimited downloads Brisnet will be done! I know they are losing business with Timeforms $69.99 package right now. This is why they finally came with there unlimited downloads. I'm sure they thought we were going to be jumping for joy, but the only thing they are going to keep doing is LOSING BUSINESS!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 AM   #30
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I applaud Brisnet/CDI for finally doing what players have been asking about for years, in my case, over 15. I was a loyal Brisnet customer for many years, and even recommended this company to others, on this very forum. However, when the former TSN customers were given an unlimited plan, and the existing long time loyal Brisnet customers, who had been asking for the same thing all along, were totally ignored, I decided right then that I would no longer do business with a company that doesn't care about their customers. So, I left Brisnet, after all those years, and went to JCapper/HDW and not only got the data plan I wanted, but also got the results files included in the plan.

So, even though Brisnet has finally offered an unlimited data plan, it comes far too late, and will not cause new, or old customers, to sign up, especially when they can get more product for much less money from other sources.

In short, not only is it a further sign of profound greed and poor business operation (by both Brisnet and CDI), it is downright insulting to everyone here.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply