Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 11-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
acorn54

BOOK REVIEWS

as promised here is my first book review:
it is published by tim maas of "OVERLAY PUBLICATIONS"
it is called "QUICK-LINE", i chose it because it is one of the better publications i have purchased.
simply put it is a quick way to develope an odds line. it is ideal for sumulcasting when you are following a few tracks and want to find horses that might be going off at odds greater than the computed odds of quick line.
you use five factors for dirt races and three factors for turf races, all the info is found quickly in the pp's of the horses.
i personally bought all of tim's publications and they were all educational, but this one is the one i use when i want to get a line on what price to put on a horse's head.
the horse to bet is simply the horse that the quick line odds says is an overlay. in today's parimutuel reality this can change as the closing minutes come on a race, and it is a bit of a pain, however i have managed to stay in the black using this method.
tim is a stand up guy. he put up with me sending back his products the first time around, (he has a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied).
however i purchased them again to test out the quick line method, which i didn't do the first time around.
i should add that i don't use it religiously, as i use a software program for my day in, and day out handicapping and betting decisions. however for someone who is not computer literate and/or wants to get a positive expectancy in horse wagering i can't really thing of any books or publications that I have come across that are more thorough in evaluating the pp's of horses to get to a final decision on what horse to wager on.
like i said tim gives a money back guarantee so you are not really risking anything to try the QUICK-LINE method.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
Overlay

Thank you so much for the kind words! However, I should mention that I do not "sell" Quick-Line (or its companion title Quick-Bet, which focuses on the wagering side of the equation). They are both available at no charge with any order for any or all of the other three handicapping titles (Overlay Handicapping; Handicapping Outside the Curve; and The Ten-Up, Fourteen-Down Odds-Line Method) described on the Overlay Publications website (http://www.overlaypublications.com), either as individual items, or in our value package, which includes all three titles at a savings of over 50% off their normal combined individual purchase prices. (And, as noted, they all come with our 90-day, no-questions-asked, money-back guarantee.)
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Greyfox

My son purchased Overlay's book and said that it was a very worthwhile purchase.

Greyfox
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #4
acorn54

TEN STEPS TO WINNING, by Danny Holmes

Here is another book i found well worth buying, which i can not say about too many handicapping books.
This is a comprehensive approach which i think covers all practical metrics that are needed to make one feel confident in one's selection's of contenders in a race.
Danny Holmes, intelligently approaches handicapping races, according to the type of race conditions. for instance, in claiming and allowance sprints he uses his "PACE" method, and in allowance and claiming routes he uses his "class method", and uses his "class" method for all maiden races, interestingly. he also separated the handicapping of one mile races, stake races, and starter races.
Mr. Holmes (who is deceased), and whose bio, says he was a horse owner, and for fifteen years was a professional bettor, has chapters on "condition", "recent form",and a very interesting chapter on "winning patterns", in which he reveals how running lines look, when there is a trainer maneuver.
he also covers his version of trip handicapping which some purists will not see as adaquate, for that topic of horse handicapping.
There is also a chapter on races to avoid, and a useful chapter on money money management.
After all this Mr Holmes gives a race card of examples which you can use to digest the handicapping principals in the book.
For those who want to steer clear of using a computer for handicapping the horses, one would be hard-pressed to find a better book as their basis. and in today's handicapping world with people flocking to data mining for stats, and other computer-aided techniques to find contenders, it might be the road less traveled.
My copy of the book has on the jacket, a price of $9.95, i forgot what i paid for it but think it was around that price. anyway it is money well spent toward's one's education as a horse handicapper.

Last edited by acorn54; 11-07-2014 at 06:30 AM.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
Here is another book i found well worth buying, which i can not say about too many handicapping books.
This is a comprehensive approach which i think covers all practical metrics that are needed to make one feel confident in one's selection's of contenders in a race.
Danny Holmes, intelligently approaches handicapping races, according to the type of race conditions. for instance, in claiming and allowance sprints he uses his "PACE" method, and in allowance and claiming routes he uses his "class method", and uses his "class" method for all maiden races, interestingly. he also separated the handicapping of one mile races, stake races, and starter races.
Mr. Holmes (who is deceased), and whose bio, says he was a horse owner, and for fifteen years was a professional bettor, has chapters on "condition", "recent form",and a very interesting chapter on "winning patterns", in which he reveals how running lines look, when there is a trainer maneuver.
he also covers his version of trip handicapping which some purists will not see as adaquate, for that topic of horse handicapping.
There is also a chapter on races to avoid, and a useful chapter on money money management.
After all this Mr Holmes gives a race card of examples which you can use to digest the handicapping principals in the book.
For those who want to steer clear of using a computer for handicapping the horses, one would be hard-pressed to find a better book as their basis. and in today's handicapping world with people flocking to data mining for stats, and other computer-aided techniques to find contenders, it might be the road less traveled.
My copy of the book has on the jacket, a price of $9.95, i forgot what i paid for it but think it was around that price. anyway it is money well spent toward's one's education as a horse handicapper.
There is a much later edition of this same book by Danny Holmes. It is essentially the same I believe but he did make some adjustments as far as whether to use "class" and "pace" or both in certain races using distance as the main criteria and some changes in the money management section as well if I recall correctly. I am not sure of the price or if the book is still in print or not.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
Totally agree! It gets down to basics.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply