Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
lamboguy

if The Little Guy knows i am wrong and he does happen to be an expert on this subject he should tell us the exact charges so that we can all make a decision where to go for trainer's, so far he is doing nothing more than ranting here as usual for him.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
stringmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I just ran into Chad and told him that I read on the internet that he charges $200 a day. His response? " I wish. "

At that point another trainer jokingly said that he needs to start spreading that rumor...ya know....because nobody would pay that and then maybe he could get owners that were going to Chad instead of him.

...so second hand information and not direct involvement. Thanks. Whether it is $100 or $200, it is a function of what the market will bear. More power to the trainer that can command a higher daily rate.

The information provided by either party certainly won't mislead me as I have little interest in ownership but I do find the disparity between the claims interesting.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #18
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
if The Little Guy knows i am wrong and he does happen to be an expert on this subject he should tell us the exact charges so that we can all make a decision where to go for trainer's, so far he is doing nothing more than ranting here as usual for him.

I am not ranting, and I don't print misinformation here and then insult those that correct me.

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #19
classhandicapper

Maybe you guys are talking about two different things?

There's the day rate and there are other costs that accumulate that are also probably higher for some trainers because of the vet used, more frequent shipping etc...
Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmail
...so second hand information and not direct involvement. Thanks. Whether it is $100 or $200, it is a function of what the market will bear. More power to the trainer that can command a higher daily rate.

The information provided by either party certainly won't mislead me as I have little interest in ownership but I do find the disparity between the claims interesting.

I tried.

Asking the trainer, by the way, is not second hand information. In case you are interested.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

There's the day rate and there are other costs that accumulate that are also probably higher for some trainers because of the vet used, more frequent shipping etc...

We are NOT talking about two different things. He said Day Rate.

Don't defend him. He's indefensible.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #22
lamboguy

Quote:
I am not ranting, and I don't print misinformation here and then insult those that correct me.

Frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself.
you corrected nothing here. you took a wild swing and said i am wrong. i asked you to tell us what the charges are for horses that are handled by those trainers and you haven't done it so far.

and by the way i am nowhere near wrong on this.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

I assumed that came into play when he claimed it cost $10,000 a month, which makes it closer to $325 a day.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #24
the little guy

Quote:
every place is down across the board no matter how good or bad the weather is. i thought this past Belmont meet was excellent. i love seeing Todd and Chad win races all the time, especially on the turf. the owner's that pay those guys day rates of $200 a day plus+ all those extra's deserve to win all those races.

Here is Lamboguys original lie for those that seem to be confused. This is the lie I corrected.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
thaskalos

It said in Steve Zorn's article that training costs at NYRA average $90-$95 a day...but that the big guys charge a lot more than that. So...what's a lot more than $90-$95?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #26
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It said in Steve Zorn's article that training costs at NYRA average $90-$95 a day...but that the big guys charge a lot more than that. So...what's a lot more than $90-$95?
that was over a year and a half ago. 8 years ago Pletcher only charged $125 per day. i am not going to argue any more, he chose to discredit me without producing a number. god bless him.

i know there are some people that get training deals, but i am sure if you delve into this you will find my number is not far fetched at all no matter what The Little Guy claims or doesn't claim.

we would all love to know the reason why the handles have been declining in New York, something that i do trust he is an expert at.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #27
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Here is Lamboguys original lie for those that seem to be confused. This is the lie I corrected.
But you didn't really correct it as you didn't list the exact rates those guys charge. To me, its all he said she said. Lambo listed an exact number, anyone can come in and say 'that's wrong" but if you don't have the correct number, its not as strong of an argument.

200 doesn't SEEM right, it would probably be more in the 125-150 range if i had to make an uneducated guess, but for your argument to really be strong, the exact rates would be ideal.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #28
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
But you didn't really correct it as you didn't list the exact rates those guys charge. To me, its all he said she said. Lambo listed an exact number, anyone can come in and say 'that's wrong" but if you don't have the correct number, its not as strong of an argument.

200 doesn't SEEM right, it would probably be more in the 125-150 range if i had to make an uneducated guess, but for your argument to really be strong, the exact rates would be ideal.
what's the part that doesn't seem right?

do you think that you are going to walk up to Pletcher and have him train your horses that he doesn't want or need and not charge you crazy money to put them in his barn?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
what's the part that doesn't seem right?

do you think that you are going to walk up to Pletcher and have him train your horses that he doesn't want or need and not charge you crazy money to put them in his barn?
I don't know enough about it to know if any Joe Blow can walk up to Pletcher and ask him to take a horse, maybe you can only get TAP by "appointment only". Same thing with Brown who's the greatest trainer on the planet at the moment.

If these guys are "public" trainers, i'm sure it would be pretty easy to get a rate by just calling.

Is the 200 something that TAP actually CHARGES to current clients? How do you know this as fact?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #30
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I don't know enough about it to know if any Joe Blow can walk up to Pletcher and ask him to take a horse, maybe you can only get TAP by "appointment only". Same thing with Brown who's the greatest trainer on the planet at the moment.

If these guys are "public" trainers, i'm sure it would be pretty easy to get a rate by just calling.

Is the 200 something that TAP actually CHARGES to current clients? How do you know this as fact?
i have someone that sends horses to another elite trainer and asked him what he spent, he told me how much he goes for and i said what are you crazy, he told me its nothing compared to what Pletcher charges so i just added on a few bucks to come up with the $200. i know i can't be that far off even if its not exactly $200.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: