Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #31
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Sorry, I didn't realize you wanted me to coddle you. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Note to self...no more fun joking with EMD4ME.

Got it....all business going forward. Sorry there was some confusion.
Hello Andy. I don't need coddling sir. The thread's birth was over concern for NYRA. It may be contrary to what you might believe, but I love NYRA & the thread was not originated to directly or indirectly attack NYRA, so a polite point in the correct direction from someone in your position would've been greatly appreciated.

Anyway, no hard feelings. I respect & admire your talents. Be well & keep up the good handicapping.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 10-28-2014 at 08:33 AM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #32
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

It's like a lovefest in here...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #33
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

In my humble conspiracy opinion, his administration caused the takeout fiasco.

Try to put a or after each joke.

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 10-28-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
It's like a lovefest in here...
The dawning of the "Age of Aquarius" .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oq_IskRIg#t=40

Last edited by jk3521; 10-28-2014 at 06:27 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #35
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521
The dawning of the "Age of Aquarius" .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oq_IskRIg#t=40
Isn't it the Dawning of the Age of Aqueduct?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #36
dilanesp

I don't think you have to either a fan or a critic of NYRA to understand that these sorts of cutbacks are really a bad sign.

Having said that, California tracks cut back on race days and number of races carded several years back, and all signs are that it probably helped at both Santa Anita and Del Mar, so this also isn't a time to hit the panic button either.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #37
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I don't think you have to either a fan or a critic of NYRA to understand that these sorts of cutbacks are really a bad sign.

Having said that, California tracks cut back on race days and number of races carded several years back, and all signs are that it probably helped at both Santa Anita and Del Mar, so this also isn't a time to hit the panic button either.

But I thought everyone wanted cutbacks. That is what they said would save the sport??
Old 10-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #38
the little guy

All kidding aside, we normally don't run on Wednesday and Thursday this week, so we are actually running eight MORE each day than normal...not one less.

Much ado about nothing.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 08:00 PM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
But I thought everyone wanted cutbacks. That is what they said would save the sport??
We need less races. And I continue to think that winter racing in New York is a terrible idea. I think a rational system would look something like the 1930's did, where horses raced in the warm months in New York and the cold months in Florida.

However, this is not that debate. I am sure that these cutbacks are occurring because NYRA faces a horse shortage and/or cannot profitably card more races. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that the cutbacks may not work. I think the evidence is that cutting back on the number of races did help here in Southern California. It might work in New York too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #40
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Try to put a or after each joke.
I wasn't kidding. Call me crazy but I believe Hayward made 1 attempt to reduce the takeout, was ignored by the state wagering board, 'got the message' of let the state make more money and was hung out to dry by Cuomo.

What a coincidence that Cuomo placed his people in a controlling position on the nyra board thereafter. It's dirty politics.

I just hope he realized that by screwing NY racing, he might lose a few votes in Florida from the Florida breeders and he stopped his initial plan of shutting down/reducing race dates in NY.

Like I said, I have no proof but it's my humble conspiracy theory.... hope I am wrong, as I love NYRA & want NY racing to thrive.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #41
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp

Less racing anywhere in any way, is a bad sign. If you card 7 races instead of 9, you will have less owners, less trainers, which leads to less foals over time. Shorter fields will occur and the same spiral will happen.

As tracks shut down, that's 1 less track that will generate new fans. Old fans are dying, who's replacing them????
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #42
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
All kidding aside, we normally don't run on Wednesday and Thursday this week, so we are actually running eight MORE each day than normal...not one less.

Much ado about nothing.
That's a good way of looking at it.

Bottom line, glad we're at nine a day & I'll take the extra 16 races!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:24 PM   #43
Ocala Mike

Aqueduct-only 8 races???

Quote:

let the state make more money

This subject was run into the ground in earlier threads on this board. I used to be in place at NYRA as a Pari-Mutuel Examiner for NY State up until 1991, when it was decided we were no longer needed. I can assure you that, because of the way pari-mutuel taxes are calculated, the state got absolutely no additional revenue from the commission rate error. All of the additional revenue went to NYRA, OTB's, and ADW's.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #44
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Less racing anywhere in any way, is a bad sign. If you card 7 races instead of 9, you will have less owners, less trainers, which leads to less foals over time. Shorter fields will occur and the same spiral will happen.

As tracks shut down, that's 1 less track that will generate new fans. Old fans are dying, who's replacing them????
Disagree completely. Look at Japan. They often have only two or three tracks going per day, maximum. Yet, handle and attendance are booming. There's only two tracks in China, which race only a few days a week combined, and racing is thriving. British and Australian tracks often run only six or seven races per day. The United States in the exception to the rule.

And I don't know about you, but I'd rather bet on three days of quality racing a week than five days of sub-par racing.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #45
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
This subject was run into the ground in earlier threads on this board. I used to be in place at NYRA as a Pari-Mutuel Examiner for NY State up until 1991, when it was decided we were no longer needed. I can assure you that, because of the way pari-mutuel taxes are calculated, the state got absolutely no additional revenue from the commission rate error. All of the additional revenue went to NYRA, OTB's, and ADW's.
Good to know. I appreciate the feedback.