Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Seeing the uniqueness in a race and dealing with is the other option. Here it is guessing, but can be rewarding. It's off the linear path.
Perhaps this race is "too" unique, and the interaction of the horses simply can't be foreseen? Yes, it "could" be rewarding (if you guess right, and get lucky), but over time, races like this one will probably not help your bottom line any. Linear thinking could mean, you see opportunity for value, and value has always been the King, so I have to bet this particular race.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Numbers are a tool, nothing more.
Probably the best tool, but not always applicable.

A first time grass horse - why would you use a dirt number?
Pedigree, trainer ability with first grass horses, jockey ability on grass, all better tools to use.

Maiden races full of 1st or 2nd time starters - there are other tools to use.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Numbers are a tool, nothing more.
Probably the best tool, but not always applicable.

A first time grass horse - why would you use a dirt number?
Pedigree, trainer ability with first grass horses, jockey ability on grass, all better tools to use.

Maiden races full of 1st or 2nd time starters - there are other tools to use.
That's the bite. Numbers are our biggest ally also.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #19
Stillriledup
Veteran

Another big trap is the lure of "riches". People playing Supers, Tri's Pick 5s Pick 6s etc looking for that monster score....but, unless you can invest thousands and thousands into some of these bets, your 20s and 40s would be better off chasing the win pools instead.

Nothing wrong with 50 to win on a 10-1 shot.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #20
Cratos

Quote:
The biggest trap for handicappers is also their biggest ally, numbers. However most of us think, we usually add up some numbers and the horse with the most numbers is usually our selection. The assumption that horses add up is close enough about one third of the time, and it's just enough to keep us hanging in there. It seems that we're always one tweak away from getting it right. The winning method must be just down at the end of our formula's linear path. But the truth is a scatter graph where two thirds of the selections are not near our line and we never will get them staying on our path. The game is not linear to win. If there is a line it's squiggly if there's a line at all. How does one figure it without numbers or around numbers? Are numbers the dope and those of us who like numbers the additics?
Numbers are worthless without intelligence behind them because leaving out the understanding of the numbers they become just abstractions. Mathematics in its pure form is an abstract science and doesn’t gaining meaning until it reaches its applied state.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #21
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Linear thinking has been the downfall of multitudes of players. They know who they are, if they are honest with themselves, and generally their excuse, and "justification", is that it allows them to "jump on it before it disappears", regarding short term anomalies like perceived bias. For all those who still believe this methodology, good luck to you.

As Giles said, it's the interaction between the participants that determines the most likely outcome of those events. The horses in the field interact during the running of races, and usually that interaction determines the result. Each event is unique, never happened before, and never to happen again, so we only have "right now", "this field of horses", "and "this race". Being able to see the interaction of horses, before the race, if done correctly often enough, will take you completely out of that linear thinking and put you on the road to long term success. Because, when you start treating individual races as unique, and get good at determining their uniqueness, when you stack them back to back over time, suddenly the results become much more "linear". Weird isn't it?

Is not that is what is proven in math? If you take a curve (nonlinear) and make it larger and larger it approaches a straight line (linear)

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #22
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
[/B]
Is not that is what is proven in math? If you take a curve (nonlinear) and make it larger and larger it approaches a straight line (linear)
Yeah, I was just trying to make it easier to understand, without having a math/statistics major.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #23
AndyC

Good numbers are like a baseball bat. In the hands of Ted Williams they can do amazing things but in the hands of Mario Mendoza, not so much.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #24
Capper Al

Not to forget that numbers are both our biggest ally and our downfall at the same time.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 10-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Belmont, Thursday, Race 4 - does this race fit into your premise here?
I looked at the winner a long time during lunch, and ended up playing the place horse.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #26
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Belmont, Thursday, Race 4 - does this race fit into your premise here?
I looked at the winner a long time during lunch, and ended up playing the place horse.
Send me the PPs. I'll look for one at Gulfstream West (Calder) today.

Anatole France

Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #27
Capper Al

GPW Race 2 and 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Pick a real race - theory only gets you so far.
My picks: R2: 2-5-6 R5: 6-10-11

FYI New Class ratings: R2: 2-5-6 R5: 10-6-2

Looking for odds: R2: #5 9/2 R5: #10 6/1 (lower odds with scratches)

Anatole France

Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
Capper Al

Quote:
My picks: R2: 2-5-6 R5: 6-10-11

FYI New Class ratings: R2: 2-5-6 R5: 10-6-2

Looking for odds: R2: #5 9/2 R5: #10 6/1 (lower odds with scratches)
Since these aren't my top picks, they are more place bets.

Anatole France

Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
Capper Al

Race came in 1-2-6. My third pick not my second like I thought came in third paying $8. I knew I was in trouble when the jockey opened his coffee thermos on the #5 by the second call and fell back to last.

Anatole France

Old 10-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #30
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Race came in 1-2-6. My third pick not my second like I thought came in third paying $8. I knew I was in trouble when the jockey opened his coffee thermos on the #5 by the second call and fell back to last.
Hope he didn't get hurt when he fell. Guess you meant that the horse just didn't run? You know that many here think the jockey just sits there and steers - LOL.