Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #46
Rex Phinney

The 2 horse being it's own betting interest is the issue.

You can't have a horse out there taking money and then give it a ride like that. Every betting interest has to be giving an honest effort to win. Espinoza was certainly toeing that line.

That being said, Baffert playing the innocent card is BS. I like him a lot but that was not a good look yesterday. Have to think Victor went out there with at least a hint from Bob as to the gameplan.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
The 2 horse being it's own betting interest is the issue.

You can't have a horse out there taking money and then give it a ride like that. Every betting interest has to be giving an honest effort to win. Espinoza was certainly toeing that line.

That being said, Baffert playing the innocent card is BS. I like him a lot but that was not a good look yesterday. Have to think Victor went out there with at least a hint from Bob as to the gameplan.
In California, they have decided that having more betting interests is more important than coupling horses in the wagering. Personally, i HATE coupled horses, i don't see a need for it, but, that's just me.

Here's a question i have for you. If Victor was #1A and not his own betting interest, would his ride have been acceptable and even commended?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #48
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
In California, they have decided that having more betting interests is more important than coupling horses in the wagering. Personally, i HATE coupled horses, i don't see a need for it, but, that's just me.

Here's a question i have for you. If Victor was #1A and not his own betting interest, would his ride have been acceptable and even commended?
Coupled or uncoupled, a horse should only be entered to give its best effort to win. Clearly, this horse was used to impede the favorite and give its stablemate a better chance of winning. That shouldn't be allowed. The jock deserved a suspension. It's a shame Baffert doesn't get the same, but the jock isn't going to throw the trainer under the bus because then he'll get no more mounts from that trainer.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #49
magwell

Seven days for that ? that's a joke Trevor made a big deal of it or nothing would have happened , you would think Espinoza dropped Smith to get seven days, I guess the stewards never seen Cordeo ride......that is total B.S.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #50
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
Seven days for that ? that's a joke Trevor made a big deal of it or nothing would have happened , you would think Espinoza dropped Smith to get seven days, I guess the stewards never seen Cordeo ride......that is total B.S.
As part of an entry for all intents and purposes, it was blatant and well-deserved. He was in the field only to hinder the chances of the favorite and help his stablemate.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #51
ultracapper

Just watched it for the first time. Can you say Fourtyniner-Winning Colors-Preakness Stakes?
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #52
madera12227

That was Ezpinoza thinking about the breeders cup 5 million dollar race.

Ezpinoza wanted shared belief to work much harder. He did.

Ezpinoza was thinking about California Chrome.

He made shared belief work for that win and it might effect him in the breeders cup and give California Chrome an advantage.

Baffert might had some influence. Impossible to prove that Baffert had a saying.
madera12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #53
Mineshaft
Veteran

is there any bad blood between Baffert and Hollendorfer?

sound like Espinoza gave Smith a dose of his own medicine for a race that Smith had Espinoza pinned down in
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #54
Grits

Quote:
FWIW, he wasn't being paid to think, at least not about Chrome, who from his ugly finish in the PA Derby, has a ways to go to be at an advantage in the Classic.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #55
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
is there any bad blood between Baffert and Hollendorfer?
Not specifically but I think out here in California there is Baffert then there is everyone else. Most trainers relish any chance they have to get a horse who can outperform the Baffert barn. Bob in his heart of hearts I think believes he can and should win every stakes race on dirt out here. He seemed truly heartbroken that he had lost to a 1/5 favorite. LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #56
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by madera12227
That was Ezpinoza thinking about the breeders cup 5 million dollar race.

Ezpinoza wanted shared belief to work much harder. He did.

He made shared belief work for that win and it might effect him in the breeders cup and give California Chrome an advantage.

Baffert might had some influence. Impossible to prove that Baffert had a saying.
Lots of possible theories to why he rode his horse that way but SB did get the job done and CC didn't!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #57
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Coupled or uncoupled, a horse should only be entered to give its best effort to win. Clearly, this horse was used to impede the favorite and give its stablemate a better chance of winning. That shouldn't be allowed. The jock deserved a suspension. It's a shame Baffert doesn't get the same, but the jock isn't going to throw the trainer under the bus because then he'll get no more mounts from that trainer.
Rex says that the uncoupling is the "issue"

I want to know, is it the issue, or not.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #58
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Rex says that the uncoupling is the "issue"

I want to know, is it the issue, or not.
If you had money on Sky Kingdom would you be convinced he was ridden in a way that gave him an honest chance to win? Keep in mind the horse finished last after all this.

There wasn't a coupled entry in the race Saturday so I'm not sure why it matters, in this specific case, ll the $$$ that came in on Sky Kingdom was basically doomed, and that's not a good thing.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #59
Mineshaft
Veteran

Jim Rome just said on his show that he had no problem with Espinoza and his tactics. He said we are all big boys here.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
If you had money on Sky Kingdom would you be convinced he was ridden in a way that gave him an honest chance to win? Keep in mind the horse finished last after all this.

There wasn't a coupled entry in the race Saturday so I'm not sure why it matters, in this specific case, ll the $$$ that came in on Sky Kingdom was basically doomed, and that's not a good thing.
My question was this. If SK was coupled with Fed Biz, would Victor still be getting a 7 day suspension and would there be this "outcry".

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: